Opinion needed

jnicholes

Mar 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
B56A3D79-3E8E-4148-9300-D14C2981AEAE.jpeg

I found these recently, they aren?t valuable. However, I have a question.

If I keep finding half dollars and dollar coins, I probably should only keep the really valuable ones and return the rest to circulation. However, I wanted an opinion on this idea before I spend these.

What do you guys think?

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd keep the older coins and use the rest to reward young children or grand children for doing well in school.

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra v3; Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you don't need to spend them, why spend them?

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got kids / grandkids? Fill up a Starbucks jar with em & other coins. They make good little gifts. Make sure you don't add any foreign "CHINESE" coins or you'll be running all over buyng some! Trust me on this!

Georgia Placer

Aug 17, 2021
Hmmmmmmmmmmm
Detector(s) used
Gold bug 2, vanquish 540, carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got kids / grandkids? Fill up a Starbucks jar with em & other coins. They make good little gifts. Make sure you don't add any foreign "CHINESE" coins or you'll be running all over buyng some! Trust me on this!

Hide them in the yard and give them a new detector for a gift....

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Other than the silvers that I find, I only keep the NIFC (not intended for circulation) Kennedy Half dollars, so I can give them to the Grandkids in the future. (Not all at once, they will be used as reward or good deed coins). I always spend generic dates like the '71 and '72 that you have pictured. I usually leave those on the table at a restaurant as a tip. The young ones get a kick out of them. Everyone is different as far as what we keep, collect, and spend.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
When I was roll hunting from 2009-2014ish, I went through about $150k in coin. Found a few thousand silvers and multiple solid silver rolls of halves. Saw probably 300-400 Ikes but not a single silver one in the total. Towards the end of my tour I snoozed on a batch of 165 Ikes, they were gone by the time I went to the bank. Most of the Ikes I just gave away. Thank goodness in that 5 year time frame I did not end up with any small dollar coins!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread