Opinions needed

Bbmbr

Aug 30, 2017
california
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found in California, central valley.
I'm not the original finder.
Just thought it could be native American stone artifact of some kind.
IMG_20220601_211224675.jpg
IMG_20220602_090835185.jpg
IMG_20220601_211132406.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20220601_211228198.jpg
    IMG_20220601_211228198.jpg
    896.7 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Upvote 8

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More pictures including side views would help. Both pictures provided are blurry when blown up.

Quartzite Keith

Dec 17, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I think its natural. I'm on the other side of the country in Richmond Virginia. Richmond sits on "the falls" of the James River, a five mile stretch where the river is a jumbled mess of granite boulder rapids before dropping down onto the coastal plain. Granite balls like that are found with some frequency here, anything from golf ball to cannonball sized. What happens is, every once in a while under just the right conditions, chunks of rock get caught up in the boulders and just roll around and around like in a washing machine until they end up round balls like that. During low water it is also possible to go out into the river bed and find the bowl shaped depressions in the granite bedrock where these events happened.

That said they are a cool curiosity and just as people today pick them to take home, I expect people long ago did too. Maybe to use for something, maybe for the kids to play, or maybe just to look at.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I think its natural. I'm on the other side of the country in Richmond Virginia. Richmond sits on "the falls" of the James River, a five mile stretch where the river is a jumbled mess of granite boulder rapids before dropping down onto the coastal plain. Granite balls like that are found with some frequency here, anything from golf ball to cannonball sized. What happens is, every once in a while under just the right conditions, chunks of rock get caught up in the boulders and just roll around and around like in a washing machine until they end up round balls like that. During low water it is also possible to go out into the river bed and find the bowl shaped depressions in the granite bedrock where these events happened.

That said they are a cool curiosity and just as people today pick them to take home, I expect people long ago did too. Maybe to use for something, maybe for the kids to play, or maybe just to look at.
Maybe a head knocker!? Nice whatever it is and most likely a good conversation starter when displayed in a prominent room of the house.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seeing it after your new pics and size... not a cannonball... But... I guess it could have been used in a Blunderbuss... or swivel sized.

More probable... its either above mentioned natural formation.. or a gristmill ball... or some other item... perhaps Native American even... Basically... the size is throwing me.

Last edited:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It could actually be an artifact if found in context with artifacts meaning it was carried to a site and probably used because of its shape. These are always hard ones to solve without distinct man made distinctions.

Crumb

Feb 9, 2020
Mountains of East K.y.
Detector(s) used
Garrett 400 ace
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I can tell u is it’s cool and I’d definitely take it home too. I have found game stones like that here made of granite very similar to yours. Only thing with my location is I’m many many miles from a source of granite

Rege-PA

Jul 13, 2007

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could be a natural random find, but a lot depends on the history of the area where it was found. One usage I do know of for those is people used them in making rattles. They would wrap wet rawhide around the stones, let the rawhide shrink and dry, remove the stone, and they could make a rattle from that form. There's a place in SWOK where these occur naturally. Zotigh specifically told me the stones themselves were used in peyote ceremonies, but I can't vouch for that. Sometimes I would drive by and see somebody, usually elderly, looking for those stones off the side of the highway. Probably hardly anybody does these days. It's a cool find and I would have brought it home.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread