Opinions needed

Bbmbr

Aug 30, 2017
california
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found in California, central valley.
I'm not the original finder.
Just thought it could be native American stone artifact of some kind.
IMG_20220601_211224675.jpg
IMG_20220602_090835185.jpg
IMG_20220601_211132406.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20220601_211228198.jpg
    IMG_20220601_211228198.jpg
    896.7 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Upvote 8

Colonial Digger

May 6, 2019
illinois
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
B

Bbmbr

Aug 30, 2017
california
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This February an archaeologist in Ariz has located one of Coronado's camps/out posts and found a beautiful 3ft brass Wall Gun. Small round stones like yours were fired from them when lead was scarce or too heavy to carry along.
So cool

OP
OP
B

Bbmbr

Aug 30, 2017
california
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't figure out how to post some rocks I would like help identifying. Not artifacts, but something an old man kept in a pouch in his dresser for a very long time. His family discovered them after his death. Sorry I know this is totally off topic but while I've got you here I need some help if you could LOL? When I click on the post that says got a rock you need help identifying there's nowhere to post only to comment on the previous person's Rock do you have any suggestions or knowledge of that? Thank you in advance

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't figure out how to post some rocks I would like help identifying. Not artifacts, but something an old man kept in a pouch in his dresser for a very long time. His family discovered them after his death. Sorry I know this is totally off topic but while I've got you here I need some help if you could LOL? When I click on the post that says got a rock you need help identifying there's nowhere to post only to comment on the previous person's Rock do you have any suggestions or knowledge of that? Thank you in advance
What are you using to access TreasureNet computer or smart device? Different process.

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Is this round or does it have a flat area? From your images I cannot tell.

if there is a flat area, it could be a cone.

I have found many round stones like the image you posted. Some appear to have been used as hammer stones or game stones.

OP
OP
B

Bbmbr

Aug 30, 2017
california
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is this round or does it have a flat area? From your images I cannot tell.

if there is a flat area, it could be a cone.

I have found many round stones like the image you posted. Some appear to have been used as hammer stones or game stones.
No flat area, I'm not familiar with cones

Bad Wolf

Dec 6, 2012
Carmel-by-the-Sea, California
Detector(s) used
Nokia Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Gentlemen,

From the posts above, I gather that the pics below could be of an Indian artifact or a naturally occurring spherical stone. I’m putting these particular pictures out there because I have a little more context in terms of location than the previous posts above that I’m hoping may help in a more definitive ID.

The stone was found at an old yet substantial antiquated mining operation on a tributary creek of the Yuba River just outside Allegheny, California, complete with abandoned heavy machinery such as ore crushing machines and an overhead gondola system for shuttling equipment and/or material (I assume) from one side of the creek to the other, where the actual gold mineshaft was located.

As can be seen in one of the pictures, the stone is not perfectly round. Moreover, it was found in a narrow rock crevice In the bedrock of the creek, both of which would lend credence to the “naturally occurring“ theory. But with all the various kinds of heavy machinery at the site, I thought it might also be some kind of ball bearing or grinding stone indicative of 19th century goldshaft mining, though truth be told, I’d love to discover that it’s some kind of Native American artifact. Finally, as can be seen in the photos, it’s about 1 1/2” in diameter and seems to be made of granite.

In any case, I thank you very much for your thoughts & opinions, gentlemen, and happy hunting to you all…

Bad Wolf

IMG_5243.jpeg
IMG_5241.jpeg
IMG_5240.jpeg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread