Oregon Beach Modern Glass Float Scavenger Hunt

airborne1092

Sep 7, 2008
Inland NW
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Apparently, Lincoln City releases Artist created floats at certain times of the year. If you find a planted float, you can get it autographed by the artist, and a certificate for your find. For example, for College days, they'll release gold and green, and black and orange floats.

Sounds kinda interdasting!

Upvote 3

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
This has to be one of the more stupid promotions I've ever seen - putting glass floats on beaches...HUNDREDS OF THEM ALL SEASON LONG...just what we need - more pollution! What next - bring your dog to the beach so they can crap all over the place?
Dumb and Dumber.

OP
OP
airborne1092

airborne1092

Sep 7, 2008
Inland NW
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This has to be one of the more stupid promotions I've ever seen - putting glass floats on beaches...HUNDREDS OF THEM ALL SEASON LONG...just what we need - more pollution! What next - bring your dog to the beach so they can crap all over the place?
Dumb and Dumber.
LOLZ!~

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't see glass as a pollutant.....maybe a visual one if you don't like what you see. I do have a problem with glass on the beach however. If there are any rocks close by, they could break and become an injury hazard.

claire

Nov 24, 2008
long island ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm V, MX 5, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw a clip about the glass floats on CBS Sunday Morning. Looks like fun and the balls are really pretty!

Last edited:

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dumb and Dumber.
Yeah, but will the dog autograph the turds for you??

Reactions: ARC

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glass Japanese floats were a common sight on Oregon's beaches throughout most of the 20th century, and there’s still bunches of them decorating various beach houses along the coast – especially visible in Rockaway Beach. Prior to World War II, they almost covered Oregon beaches.

We used to find a lot of them.

net float two.jpg

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have collected them for years....they release the artist created floats every year for quite a few years now. To find them in the Atlantic has become almost impossible, and everyone found is a treasure. I have not found one in about 3 years.....as a young man I used to beach comb the dry tortugas and the greatest pleasure was breaking these old glass fishing floats !! Now they are very collected and can be quite expensive for the rarer ones. They can still be found in the out islands of the bahamas, and where you find the glass floats is also where you find the ambergris !! One of my greatest passions is hunting the antique glass fishing floats !!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread