Oregon trip

Akronplacer

Jan 3, 2022
I am going to be headed to grants pass in June. It's not specifically a prospecting trip but I plan to get a big of shiny to bring home.

I'm worried about accidentally encroaching on established claims. Mylandmatters shows so much of the area is claimed up. How do I know if I'm legal or not? Claims can't be as huge as show on the website. Blm site says a claim is 20 acres but the box on mylandmatters covers 100s of acres.

Any tips on avoiding claims or locations where I should go that I don't have to worry so much about it? I'm just taking some pans and a sluice and crevassing tools.

Upvote 2

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am going to be headed to grants pass in June. It's not specifically a prospecting trip but I plan to get a big of shiny to bring home.

I'm worried about accidentally encroaching on established claims. Mylandmatters shows so much of the area is claimed up. How do I know if I'm legal or not? Claims can't be as huge as show on the website. Blm site says a claim is 20 acres but the box on mylandmatters covers 100s of acres.

Any tips on avoiding claims or locations where I should go that I don't have to worry so much about it? I'm just taking some pans and a sluice and crevassing tools.
The lady/people at the prospecting supply store in town (Armadillo mining co) is very helpful. I always make it a point to stop in when I go up there. They have a website too so google it.

Good luck.

OP
OP
A

Akronplacer

Jan 3, 2022
The prospecting supply store in town (Armadillo mining co) is very helpful. I make it a point to stop in when I go up there. They have a website too so google it.

Good luck.
Excellent...my girlfriend lived there for many years but couldn't remember the store name or where it was.

We are going to make a ring for her out of Ohio gold and Oregon gold 😁. Hoping to find gold from the Umpqua because that's her favorite place but I'll take what I can get. She also said she will take me to cow creek.

OP
OP
A

Akronplacer

Jan 3, 2022
Know your TRS and look up the County recorder. Sometimes they have records available online, but most times you'll have to go to the office. You can make copies of legal claims there.
What's a TRS? I live in an area where gold mining and claims are not a thing so forgive my ignorance.

There is no claimable land here in Ohio. It's all private except for state hunting lands and one national forest so I am not familiar with the terminology.

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's a TRS? I live in an area where gold mining and claims are not a thing so forgive my ignorance.

There is no claimable land here in Ohio. It's all private except for state hunting lands and one national forest so I am not familiar with the terminology.
Sorry, TRS is Township, Range, and Section. Most Topographical maps will show these.

oneguy

Aug 26, 2015
Montana
Detector(s) used
2 Goldmonsters, SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yah, like arizau said, stop in and talk to Sam at Armadillo Mining in Grants Pass. She’s a real character with a great personality. She will know the lowdown of the local prospecting scene. Lot of nice equipment as well in case you forget or need something.

Mike
yeah.... talk to the locals, that'll save a couple days research time and time is very valuable in this game

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread