Organic Food: US Sales Jump From ‘Record’ Number Of Producers

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Organic Food: US Sales Jump From ?Record? Number Of Producers

By Amy Nordrum @amynordrum [email protected] on April 16 2015 12:52 PM EDT

apple.jpg
A trade group reports that sales for organic products increased by 11 percent in 2014, and says that these figures represent a turning point for the industry, which is approaching 5 percent of total food sales in the U.S. About a third of organic sales come from fruits and vegetables.

Hungry Americans are reaching for organic products like heirloom apples and chemical-free deodorants more than ever. U.S. sales of organic food, clothing and other goods leaped 11 percent last year and the number of certified organic producers saw “remarkable growth.” The fast pace of the organic industry’s expansion is helping it capture a greater share of the American food market.

Organic food and products grew in sales to $39.1 billion in 2014, according to a report from the Organic Trade Association released Wednesday. Overall food sales in the U.S. grow by about 3 percent per year on average.

Organic sales now account for nearly 5 percent of all food sales in the U.S. But America's appetite for organic fruits and vegetables is especially hearty -- the market share for organic produce has doubled over the past 10 years and these sales now account for 12 percent of all produce sales.

The Department of Agriculture uses strict protocol to determine whether an operation or product can be called "organic." The agency's rules forbid farmers or manufacturers from using genetically modified ingredients, prevent the use of many synthetic substances such as chemical fertilizers and require livestock to have access to the outdoors. Once growers and producers are certified, they may use an official USDA organic seal on their products.

About a third of organic sales in the U.S. are for fruits and vegetables, while approximately 14 percent come from dairy. Nonfood products such as clothing or personal care items represent 8 percent of all organic sales.

“Our latest industry data show robust demand and great opportunity for the organic sector,” said Laura Batcha, executive director of the Organic Trade Association, in a statement. The trade group polled 200 companies through Nutrition Business Journal for its annual sales survey.

This ripe opportunity is drawing more organic producers than ever before to the business. Of the roughly 2.2 million farms in the U.S., new figures from the USDA show there are now 19,474 certified organic operations, which represents a 5 percent jump over 2013, the agency reported on Wednesday. Since the USDA’s National Organic Program began tracking organic producers in 2002, their numbers have grown 250 percent.

"As demand for organic products continues to soar, more and more producers are entering the organic market," Tom Vilsack, U.S. Secretary of Agriculture, said in a statement.

The latest numbers likely underreport the number of farmers who practice organic principles. Many aren’t willing to pay the application fee, inspection fees and annual renewal fees to become fully certified, which vary depending on the size of a farm but range from “a few hundred to several thousand dollars,” according to the USDA.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Organic Food: US Sales Jump From ?Record? Number Of Producers

By Amy Nordrum @amynordrum [email protected] on April 16 2015 12:52 PM EDT

View attachment 1147799
A trade group reports that sales for organic products increased by 11 percent in 2014, and says that these figures represent a turning point for the industry, which is approaching 5 percent of total food sales in the U.S. About a third of organic sales come from fruits and vegetables.

Hungry Americans are reaching for organic products like heirloom apples and chemical-free deodorants more than ever. U.S. sales of organic food, clothing and other goods leaped 11 percent last year and the number of certified organic producers saw “remarkable growth.” The fast pace of the organic industry’s expansion is helping it capture a greater share of the American food market.

Organic food and products grew in sales to $39.1 billion in 2014, according to a report from the Organic Trade Association released Wednesday. Overall food sales in the U.S. grow by about 3 percent per year on average.

Organic sales now account for nearly 5 percent of all food sales in the U.S. But America's appetite for organic fruits and vegetables is especially hearty -- the market share for organic produce has doubled over the past 10 years and these sales now account for 12 percent of all produce sales.

The Department of Agriculture uses strict protocol to determine whether an operation or product can be called "organic." The agency's rules forbid farmers or manufacturers from using genetically modified ingredients, prevent the use of many synthetic substances such as chemical fertilizers and require livestock to have access to the outdoors. Once growers and producers are certified, they may use an official USDA organic seal on their products.

About a third of organic sales in the U.S. are for fruits and vegetables, while approximately 14 percent come from dairy. Nonfood products such as clothing or personal care items represent 8 percent of all organic sales.

“Our latest industry data show robust demand and great opportunity for the organic sector,” said Laura Batcha, executive director of the Organic Trade Association, in a statement. The trade group polled 200 companies through Nutrition Business Journal for its annual sales survey.

This ripe opportunity is drawing more organic producers than ever before to the business. Of the roughly 2.2 million farms in the U.S., new figures from the USDA show there are now 19,474 certified organic operations, which represents a 5 percent jump over 2013, the agency reported on Wednesday. Since the USDA’s National Organic Program began tracking organic producers in 2002, their numbers have grown 250 percent.

"As demand for organic products continues to soar, more and more producers are entering the organic market," Tom Vilsack, U.S. Secretary of Agriculture, said in a statement.

The latest numbers likely underreport the number of farmers who practice organic principles. Many aren’t willing to pay the application fee, inspection fees and annual renewal fees to become fully certified, which vary depending on the size of a farm but range from “a few hundred to several thousand dollars,” according to the USDA.

Hmmm... MAYBE time to invest $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Having a 90+/-10% ratio to eating organics for many years I am now running into more folks that follow a very strict almost purist growing practices as they eat the food they grow and share/sell some to like minded folks. Have met producers that aren't certified that go on a rant about the costs of being certified and have met some that are certified because they've jumped through the hoops of paperwork and got it. So what is the certification? Generally it's doing the paperwork and getting the paid fees in and maybe a visit from the said body. There's no soil testing, no crop sampling, just the paperwork and that in its self is scary.

So grow it yourself or know the grower is the best policy. I know of a great little market/CSA/hub for getting food and one of their suppliers grows with no chemicals but does on the other hand produces a 1000 acres of GMO/round up producing crops (soya/corn) so do I want my food grown by them-no as if they are shi***** in their own back yard their ethical farming/growing practices are not there.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Quote from a purist "I'd rather eat a worm than consume chemicals" :laughing7:

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
All the years of dreaming of being an organic gardener - I looked at certification. I decided not to waste my time. Learning more about it along the way, I still say no. I've no plans to go commercial and add to the headaches of my world. I just want to know what I'm feeding myself, and I can control that.

Here's a link to the process of certification:

http://organic.about.com/od/achieve...ertification-How-To-Get-Certified-Organic.htm

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here's our Govt. regulation pertaining to organics.
Organic Products Regulations, 2009
Here's the Ontario counselling body:
Organic Council of Ontario » Standards & Regulations

Still a profit driven farm could grow the produce on a waste dump and as long as they have met the required paperwork it's all good-no testing is required for the soils. In that alone I'm not impressed nor the fact that a farm can be doing the dirty on the other side of the fence line and the organic grower not being able/or caring about it. Had a CSA share years ago and I tried to get the farm to take over the care of the fields that bordered their organic farm, this was free, they could take the hay/grass for nothing. They needed to feed the livestock anyways and this was a win-win for them. Well they said no and then the farm beside them turned into a cash cropping of GMO, also spraying of every type of chemical to produce profit and it was 20 feet from the organic produce. So we ended our share with the producer as it really wasn't good that they weren't interested in protecting themselves or the farm. Funny note is they now own the 100 acres and will have to wait this and another 3 yrs before this land is close of being back to it's previous standards. Nobody had sprayed a fertilizer on the land for 45 yrs previously, so one has to really wonder about the standards that others have.

SallyScott

Jul 15, 2021
Fairmont, WV 26554
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Metal Detector
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is great news, in 7 years these numbers have changed 10 times because people finally began to understand that GMOs are not something that should be the norm in their diet, and they are willing to pay to eat organic food. I have been working in the organic food industry for many years and have written many essays check over here on GMO during my career, free examples are available for everyone to read.
Not only is GMO harmful to health, but it also affects the economy, both on a global and national scale. The use of GM foods can permanently damage the economy of developing countries. That is because developing countries do not have the technology or capital to develop the GM foods technology, thus putting them in a position where they can’t globally compete with developed countries that produce more and can sell at a cheaper price.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread