🥇 BANNER Originally posted on the "What Is It" board for an ID .. This is crazy!

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
I was trying out my new Legend today and found this coin. It was identified by Red-Coat as being a 4 dinero coin of Henry III (1390-1406). Kingdom of Castile and Leon (Spanish states). How it ended up in the fields of Central Virginia is a mystery to me.
Screen Shot 2023-05-01 at 4.57.50 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2023-05-01 at 4.47.07 PM.jpg

Upvote 107

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Johnny Appleseed dropped it ?
Headless horseman ?
The British are coming guy ?

I got it...
Forrest Gump dropped it.

OP
OP
creskol

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
That's just an incredibly cool find, congrats!
Now go find something older. :laughing7:
Thank you, oldmxrat. I was hoping to get out today to see what other goodies I could scratch up with my new Legend, but it was not to be. Hopefully tomorrow will be a nicer day.

cannonball

Feb 20, 2010
East Coast NJ
Detector(s) used
DEUS 11 Fisher F75ltd,TDI Minelab Excailber
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely a find of mysterious wonder there Creskol. I'm thinking Columbus maybe traded it for something the natives could provide and it somehow ended up where you found it. 🙂

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The colonists here used all kinds of European coinage. A copper was worth... a copper, no matter where or when minted. Thats why the fields in Virginia are often full of old Spanish and other coinage seemingly unrelated to the date of initial European occupation. Its a great find, but 99.99% likely it was used or hoarded right up into the 1700s. Plus carbon dating only works on organic material.
Very true! I collect and study colonial coins that circulated in America. I have even read of Roman bronze coins circulating along with other coppers!

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very true! I collect and study colonial coins that circulated in America. I have even read of Roman bronze coins circulating along with other coppers!
Right! I can only think people might of had a fascination in collecting and keeping old coins for as long as coins had been produced. In the 1960s when I was a kid, collecting old coins was very much a hobby me and my friends were into. We often went to see what we could buy at a local coin shop with the little money we had or search for old coins still in circulation. It was more popular than collecting sports cards, hot wheels and comic books in those times.

OP
OP
creskol

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks again, everybody! It definitely was a surprise to me. :hello:

Kona Koma

Bronze Member
Nov 13, 2017
On the Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Quattro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dunno how this snuck by me, but what an odd and awesome find! Yes many other countries copper coins were used here in early US history, shoot even all the way into the 1800s. things like the slave trade an spice trade ended up having coins from all sorts of areas make it here. I have found some weird ones like a 1802 1 duit coin, and a 1680 spanish copper cob

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread