relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I?ve had an Orx for a couple years and I mostly use coin fast in various frequencies but rarely change any other settings. I?ll use coin deep in target sparse areas or when checking a weak signal I get in coin fast. I?ve not really tried the gold modes but I think they are more like all metal ( I don?t recall if there?s a threshold or not). Does anyone use the gold programs for relic hunting? And what comments can you give about it. I need to read up on these in the manual but hope to get some feedback from anyone who?s actually used them for relic hunting.
Thanks

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great question actually, probably the tech wizards will chime in with the answer.

For myself on the Deus I have just started to play around a little deeper into the programs a few times out.

Get a signal on one program like Dues fast-then switch through the other programs with them set up just in factory mode and see what type of response I'll get.

Though for the record the only ones that I have got any time in is the pitch/deep setting. The main go to program is still the fast.
I will keep an eye on this for the responses from the folks that just have a grasp on the tech. side of the machines.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not a relic hunter. Do you look for non-ferrous relics or just ferrous? I run Gold Field program on the Deus and I put in a little IAR to break up the ferrous targets. If you are after ferrous then you want to leave to at "1". Since I don't hunt relics I listen for the Zip-Zip sound of a non-ferrous. Obviously you want to look at target size and shape.

Last edited:
OP
OP
relicmeister

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I’m into relic hunting mostly,but that includes iron cause I’m a fan of forged relics as they display nicely.
On my Deus Lite I’ve tried pitch mode but so far it’s purpose eludes me so any tips would be welcome.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clive Clynick has some good books. Wise to learn some All Metal skills. You see when you use disc the detector basically becomes a beep machine like the idiot lights on a car's instrument panel. Yes, don't panic, there is some target info in disc but not nearly as much. The All Metal is more like a motion picture instead of a snapshot. It's much easier to see the shape and size of the target.

What is it you are trying to do with Pitch program? Obviously I don't know much of anything about relic hunting. The reason I even ask this is because it sounds like you are not really detecting just iron if you need ANY discrimination.

OP
OP
relicmeister

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have heard folks that use pitch say they like it a lot so I wanted to try and understand it. Of course I could always read up on the manual.

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried gold field 1 a couple of times. It picks up everything. You must ground balance those modes.
.it is very sensitive. I would not recommend it in places with high bits of small iron. It is very sensitive.

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
I've experimented with Goldfield recently. It's definitely got my attention as I have pulled some nonferrous targets from some spots that I thought had none left. This includes a toasty William III. It does take some getting used to. I dug a good amount of small chunky iron before I started trusting the tone and the mineralization bar. What surprised be last week was a when I got a diggable tone on a small 22 casing that was right next to some iron. I flipped to my other programs to check the signal before I dug and surprisingly none of my other tried and true programs hit that tiny masked target. I will be playing with Goldfield some more to see what it can do. I maxed out the IAR at 5 and had the Sens at 95. I have very mild soil and didn't have to mess with the ground balance much.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've experimented with Goldfield recently. It's definitely got my attention as I have pulled some nonferrous targets from some spots that I thought had none left.
I have heard this too. I need to try it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread