Oscar-winning 'Kiss of the Spider Woman' actor William Hurt dies at 71

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Oscar-winning 'Kiss of the Spider Woman' actor William Hurt dies at 71​

William Hurt, the Oscar-winner star of "Kiss of the Spider Woman," "Broadcast News" and "Children of a Lesser God," has died. He was 71.

Hurt’s son, Will, said in a statement to the Associated Press that Hurt died Sunday of natural causes. He said Hurt died peacefully, among family. Will Hurt told The Hollywood Reporter his father died at his home in Portland, Oregon. Hurt was diagnosed with terminal prostate cancer that had spread to the bone in 2018.

The four-time Oscar-nominated actor was one of the most acclaimed stars and bankable leading men of the 1980s, starring as Vietnam veteran Nick Carlton in the all-star ensemble of 1983's "The Big Chill."

Start the day smarter. Get all the news you need in your inbox each morning.

Hurt earned Oscar nominations in three consecutive years — for his role as a prisoner in a Brazilian jail in 1986's "Kiss of the Spider Woman," 1987's drama "Children of a Lesser God" (alongside "CODA" star Marlee Matlin) and as a TV anchor in 1988's "Broadcast News."

Hurt was also nominated for his supporting role in 2005's "A History of Violence."

Actor William Hurt has died at age 71.
© Getty ImagesActor William Hurt has died at age 71.
Although his first credited role was as on CBS' detective series "Kojak," the Juilliard School actor made his film debut in 1980, as a psychopathologist studying schizophrenia and experimenting with sensory deprivation in the science-fiction thriller "Altered States."

Hurt's true star breakout came the next year in the thriller "Body Heat," as smalltown lawyer Ned Racine, who is seduced into committing murder by Kathleen Turner's Matty Walker.

For a younger generation, Hurt was known for his Marvel Cinematic Universe work as Hulk nemesis Thaddeus "Thunderbolt" Ross. He first appeared in 2008's "The Incredible Hulk" alongside Edward Norton's Bruce Banner. He reprised the role in "Captain America: Civil War," "Avengers: Infinity War," "Avengers: Endgame," and "Black Widow."

William Hurt, the Oscar-winning actor, died March 13 at 71. He was diagnosed with prostate cancer in 2018. Hurt was nominated for three best actor Academy Awards back-to-back in the mid-80s, for "Broadcast News," "Children of a Lesser God" and "Kiss of the Spider Woman," and won for the latter film.
Hurt, pictured in 2008.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I enjoyed him as an actor, too young to go as he did.
With today's advancements there's a 5/10 yr is 98% survival for those having prostate cancer.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those that know me know that when i was in the hospital for my open heart surgery know I DID NOT THINK i would make it . GLAD I DID :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread