JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Deus 2, Deus XP, AT Pro, Whites TRX pinpointer, Sampson Ground Shark shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was out in the mountains for a few hours, sadly not much came up cleaned up lots of trash and didn't have much to show for how difficult it is digging in the hard ground and with the heat even less pleasant. Found a thing with a K on it and not much else worth showing. California is a pain trying to find good spots you can say I have gold rush area but good luck finding much to actually detect on you have to know someone as most of it is own by people for grazing lands. Permissions are hard to get as these people often are out there because they don't want to deal with people in the first place. I get frustrated with how little of anything decent I find takes me a long time to have good finds normally. Only good thing is I'm extremely determined and stubborn so no matter what I keep trying though bums me out how much cool stuff I see others bring in lots of people find old coins and I rarely find coins that are old only have a few. My Chinese coin was just luck but before that hadn't had anything decent in a long time. But I'll post my lame find for today lol it's something at least. 20210906_160550.jpg 20210906_160613.jpg

Upvote 14

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Keep at it, it’s out there. Getting permissions is a pain in the assss anywhere. Trouble I have now is finding the time to detect, I was out 5 times a week for 6-8 hours at a time, now with work I’m lucky to get out 4 times a month.

OP
OP
JVA5th

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep at it, it?s out there. Getting permissions is a pain in the assss anywhere. Trouble I have now is finding the time to detect, I was out 5 times a week for 6-8 hours at a time, now with work I?m lucky to get out 4 times a month.
California just isn't that old and highly populated so finding old stuff is hard and often competitive with what little there is. I also don't drive and live in the country so often my hunts are what I can research near me and walk to. Luckily for me my mother likes to metal detect and get out so I get out some weekends that way. Many of the better spots I know of through research sit on graze lands so that always sucks

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Recoveries keep ya going.
But new ground , more so just to experience another state ; has a whiff of adventure /new goings ons.

Sometimes just getting out of your comfort zone is a gain. Doing something you don't want to do , to do the things you want to do....
The results are not always tangible. That does not mean there's no value in it.

Old Chinese saying (hey , you found a Chinese coin , I didn't ) "Travel is a way to turn money into mind".
You're gaining , regardless of if your pockets/finds bag is full.

Congrats on the digs!

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You and your Mom should go up and try Lake Yosemite in Merced it is right there by UC Merced it is probably pretty dried up, you might find a lot of coins there and you could get lucky with some jewelry. I am thinking of hitting San Luis reservoir probably will only get fishing weights at San Luis because I won't be going into the pay areas but I don't want to spend $10.00 bucks to find lead and trash and maybe a few coins.

OP
OP
JVA5th

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You and your Mom should go up and try Lake Yosemite in Merced it is right there by UC Merced it is probably pretty dried up, you might find a lot of coins there and you could get lucky with some jewelry. I am thinking of hitting San Luis reservoir probably will only get fishing weights at San Luis because I won't be going into the pay areas but I don't want to spend $10.00 bucks to find lead and trash and maybe a few coins.
I normally go there once they stop letting water in. It probably still has water in it currently. Unless I'm wrong. I normally head that way once the fall sets in and I know it's drained. I hit up the lesser known little damn that existed before Exchequer dam a little off the beaten path. Just a shallow dam. It's where I found the little thing with a K. A few 1930ish shotgun headstamps came up. Was only a small area to search. Was still cool to see it looks like a nice fishing spot lots of big Trout though you can't keep them only can take the trash fish.

Qball

Jan 18, 2013
northern California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
nox 800 xp deus, CTX, etrac,T2, gonkulator
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You might try looking for old migrant camps from the depression. California water projects like canals and all the roads bypassed by hwy 5 and hwy 99 national Forrest and BLM are open just remember you are prospecting for gold not relic hunting and do not fill your bag with any trash more than 50 years old. Keep grinding you will find it.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
California just isn't that old and highly populated so finding old stuff is hard and often competitive with what little there is. I also don't drive and live in the country so often my hunts are what I can research near me and walk to. Luckily for me my mother likes to metal detect and get out so I get out some weekends that way. Many of the better spots I know of through research sit on graze lands so that always sucks

You almost sound like me!
I walk to the park in my neighborhood, and have a few permissions nearby, but have to do the research to go to sites by vehicle.
True, Calif isn't that old, where 1700's stuff shows up like back eastern states, with their colonial history....!
Keep at it, those 1800's coins and relics are there, just have to even more persistent....!

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All finds are good finds in my book. Detecting gets you out of the house, out of your head, and into the beauty of nature. Win, win, and win!!!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you need to get a driver's license so you can get out and explore more.

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
John..keep at it and good things will come as your determination will reward you..

sylvia40

Nov 16, 2016
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I?m 66 and can?t go for more than a few hours. Been out twice this year. My best find was a 1946 Rosie in the Coinstar reject bin! At least I?m still above ground!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread