Dec 9, 2013
South Orange County CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Vaquero, Outlaw ,Cibola, Sand Shark,
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Safari.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure I understand the question and or problem. I watched the vid, Gunner is showing how to pick gold ring out of FE soil. I know that the threshold will surge when turning the the disc knob in all metal sometimes is that what your talking about?

OP
OP
S

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure I understand the question and or problem. I watched the vid, Gunner is showing how to pick gold ring out of FE soil. I know that the threshold will surge when turning the the disc knob in all metal sometimes is that what your talking about?

It starts at 4:37. If he is running no motion all metal, disc set for foil, it works fine.

If you turn the disc to minimum while in no motion all metal, the detector goes dumb. He returns disc to foil, detector works ok.

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I believe...

..he's talking about the no-motion all-metal being somehow tied into the disc mode, which you don't expect. There were a couple other Tesoros that did something similar; Sidewinder and early Conquistador, I think. If Gunnar had pushed the reset after turning the disc down (while in no-motion AM), then it would have been retuned to the current position of the disc knob.

The disc shouldn't be related to the AM, but somehow the circuitry is... It's just one of those funky things about the Outlaw.

The solution is simple:
Either don't move the disc knob when in AM (no need to), or just reset (push button or toggle to auto then back) if you do. :smileinbox:

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep that no motion all metal makes sense just hit the retune like Pinenut stated that is why it is there for and even if this happens on some Tesoro's would not matter to me as explained and why one would makes sense to me and this video simply breath taking how this responds to depth on that Nickel especially !! even in the mineralized soil.

Thanks for posting. The Outlaw proves itself as a great unit in ones arsenal.

OP
OP
S

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats it Pinenut.

No issues. Just need more practice. Several times I was running no motion all metal scanning my garden and I thought several times the machine had detuned itself without interaction from me. I'll double check tomorrow.

On my Silver umax, in all metal you can get two more inches by maxing disc knob....

We'll call it super duper tuning.....lol

I come from an F75. I search for relics in no motion metal, I like the Outlaw so far. But that darn Compadre battery check...urgghhh

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update

If I start with the disc at minimum in no motion all metal, it'll hit a coin at 12". If I turn the disc up to foil, it cuts depth in half. If I leave it at foil and retune, I get my foot back even with the disc at foil. If I then turn disc back to minimum, you get a solid threshold tone with no target. Hitting retune returns detector to a foot on the coin and silent threshold with no target.

So as mentioned, whatever you do, dont start twiddling the disc knob while in all metal, whether it's affecting threshold or something else.

Never could duplicate detuning during no motion all metal without intervention.

I love the Outlaw so far, got me a no motion all metal machine that weighs almost half my F75.

Thanks everyone

Last edited:

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think Outlaw spooks folks...

Until you get used to it, Outlaw does seem like an odd machine, especially after using the simpler Vaquero. It looks like nearly the same detector (same knob count) but Outlaw gives you additional functions. Even with the Outlaw's "quirks", I still prefer it to Vaquero in trashy spots.
It's a very good detector, just a little misunderstood.. :tongue11:

OP
OP
S

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Until you get used to it, Outlaw does seem like an odd machine, especially after using the simpler Vaquero. It looks like nearly the same detector (same knob count) but Outlaw gives you additional functions. Even with the Outlaw's "quirks", I still prefer it to Vaquero in trashy spots.
It's a very good detector, just a little misunderstood.. :tongue11:

It's great. Only improvement I could suggest (at this time lol) is somehow redo that pushbutton to where the half way no motion all metal contact is more positive feedback. But as I'm not an engineer, I don't know how. Like it says, the all metal switch performs the same function, but I'm assuming the pushbutton is more durable, easier to reach, and manipulate through a cover.

Hobojo

Dec 9, 2013
South Orange County CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Vaquero, Outlaw ,Cibola, Sand Shark,
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Safari.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, we Outlaws are special people. We have a Retune button, what do you have?
Im sorry, I just love the damm thing even with all its weirdness.

bibelot

Apr 23, 2016
Avoca,NY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver sabre II, XP Deus, Makro racer, Aka Berkut 5, Aka Signum MFT, Makro red racer, Makro Racer 2,Makro Multi Kruzer, Makro Multi Anfibio
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
..he's talking about the no-motion all-metal being somehow tied into the disc mode, which you don't expect. There were a couple other Tesoros that did something similar; Sidewinder and early Conquistador, I think. If Gunnar had pushed the reset after turning the disc down (while in no-motion AM), then it would have been retuned to the current position of the disc knob.

The disc shouldn't be related to the AM, but somehow the circuitry is... It's just one of those funky things about the Outlaw.

The solution is simple:
Either don't move the disc knob when in AM (no need to), or just reset (push button or toggle to auto then back) if you do. :smileinbox:

Same way with silver sabre II, pinpoint in all metal mode but can resize the pinpoint down smaller yet by hitting the retune toggle to shrink the target size for absolute center pinpointing for extracting coins with a probe rather than cutting a plug. Once the target is recovered, hold coil in air away from power lines and retune to go back to normal disc mode hunting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread