Outlaw Prospecting and the Garibaldi Gold Reserve

Daryl Friesen

Mar 21, 2003
Vancouver,British Columbia
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Outlaw Prospecting in Garibaldi Provincial Park and the search for the lost mine of Pitt Lake.

One of the most beautiful treasures of British Columbia is Garibaldi Provincial Park. Garibaldi Park was created back in 1920. When the government declared a 195,000 hectares of the area surrounding Mt Garibaldi a park reserve.

In 1930 the government proposed that prospecting for Minerals should no longer be allowed in Provincial parks and they wanted to make Garibaldi provincial park there first gold reserve. They picked the area North of Alouette Lake and Pitt Lake as one of there first targets. The Yukon Chamber of Mines tried to fight the government on there new law against prospecting in Provincial parks and where successful. You could still search in the park you just could not stake a claim. The area they where talking about is now called Golden Ears Park but back then was still called Garibaldi Park. The Southern Half of Garibaldi would not be renamed Golden Ears until 1960.

Why would the government be so determined to have this area protected as a gold reserve? Unless they new that gold deposits where to found in the area in question. However, there own geology reports that where done of the area paint a much different story, in regards to gold in the area. The reports even mention the lost mine of Pitt lake and the report is not in favour of the legend.

Since the early 1940s the legend of the lost mine has appeared in the press with ever increasing frequency and becomes more fanciful with each publication. However the area about Pitt Lake is not favourable for gold-quartz veins and even less for the placer gold of the legend.

The Geological reports of Pitt Lake and the Surrounding area were not published until 1965. The same year that prospecting of any kind was finally banned in all provincial parks. On one hand we have the government pushing to make the area about Pitt Lake and Alouette lake a gold reserve and on the other hand in Geology reports done of the area they are saying the same area is not gold bearing. Could the conflicting actions by the Government be evidence of something bigger going on as some suspect?

Many who have been deeply involved with the search for the lost mine believe the government new the mine was there all along. They are said to have learned the truth behind the lost mine around the time of Volcanic Browns search for the lost mine and when he went missing. It is also said to be the main reason they wanted to outlaw prospecting in Garibaldi and one of the reasons the park was created in the first place. To protect not only the location of the gold canyon but other deposits of significant worth that are still waiting to be found within the park.

It was not just about preserving the natural beauty of the area for future generations but they have been very successful in doing this. If there was no Garibaldi or Golden Ears Park the lost mine would have been discovered and mined years ago and this beautiful area lost forever.

Anyway regardless of any law gold fever still continued and the search for the lost mine of Pitt Lake went on. Those prospectors who have gone into the area in search of the mine since 1965 have all decided to step outside the law. The Rock hammer and the gold pan had now become the tools of the outlaw. In today’s world the prospector who goes into the park can expect to have the weight of the law brought down on his head if his activities are ever discovered.

Prospecting in Garibaldi Park.

There was a prospector who came forward with extraordinary claims that he had in fact found the lost mine of Pitt Lake within the borders of Garibaldi park in the summer of 1973 .When the prospector made his discovery he knew that there was no way he could ever stake the location. So he did what most would not do and went the honest route and tried to get the government to grand him permission to stake the site and to protect the area. As if word got out to the public that such a place as the lost mine did in fact exist there would be a modern day gold rush inside the park. Protecting the area would be a top priority.

If you are interested in reading these letters please email me.

The Prospector wrote letter after letter to the government trying to get them to open the park up for staking but they would not let him as it was now against the law no matter how much gold was at stake. He arranged a meeting with one Leo Nemsic and tossed a gold nugget on his desk as proof, but still the government would not help.

After getting nowhere with the government for several years the Prospector then decided to take his discovery somewhere else and contacted a mining company known at the time as the Teck Corporation. They offered him 16,000 dollars for his location knowing it was inside a Provincial park. He declined their offer, as it was not enough to sell out the location. The Prospector was now faced with keeping to himself a secret that many people would kill for and was not sure what to do next. He tried to organize other trips into the gold canyon but none where successful.

What the Teck corporation did with there knowledge of gold in Garibaldi is unknown. I don't think gold deposits in the park would have surprised them as they must have know about the deposits right on the parks boundaries which where being explored by Cominco.

Cominco had sent prospectors into the Sloquet Creek area where they located a lode deposit right on the parks border back in 1944. Cominco has since sold the property to a company called Aranlee Resources who think its now possible to turn the find into a mine.

Did the Teck Corporation after failing to make a deal with the prospector go forward on there own with exploration in the park? The Prospector once said that he thinks he may have told the Teck Corporation a little to much regarding the location and was becoming very paranoid that someone may have reached the site and that it may have been mined out. But it may have not been only the Teck Corporation who was now searching inside the park.

The Prospectot also mentions a party of Americans who he saw near the location in one of his letters. This is not the first time a party of unknown Americans have been mentioned. As a female prospector named--------- who made an very interesting discovery back in the late summer of 1995 Up near the western edges of Stave glacier in garibaldi park while searching for the lost mine.She claimed she found the location of the mine but that it had been cleaned out by a large mining company who she also believed where Americans. She thinks they flew in mined it out and flew back out. For further information on this discovery come to the Spindle Forum.

There have been other far stranger claims that have been made into who the mysterious party of Americans may be. Some think theyare members of a secret society that is connected to the Masons who are guarding the location of Slumachs Gold, but all this is of course only theory. Some cabin owners on Pitt Lake have even said they saw two American Apache Helicopters flying into Corbold Creek Canyon.

There is also a report of two Americans who where searched at the United States Border near Aldergrove who's car trunk was carrying two bags loaded with raw gold nuggets. Where these men bringing gold into the United States that they had looted from the lost mine?

There are also stories of guard towers built near Remote Peak which are used by agents of the government to protect the gold canyon. The towers where built by the government during world war II to watch for attacks by the Japanese and have since been taken up to watch for prospectors going into the area during the right time of year when the gold reveals itself.

There was also a reported piece of float found this summer in one of creeks which flows into Alouette lake which contained a good showing of gold.

Spindle Explorations or Daryl Friesen are not responsible for anyone entering Provincial Parks for the purpose of gold prospecting.

Thanks
Daryl Friesen
Spindle Explorations
www.bc-alter.net/dfriesen

Upvote 0

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny how you are slamming Americans for prospecting in Canada. If you check most of the large gold mines in the U.S.(very large operations), you will find that 9 times out of 10 they're are being mined by CANADIAN companies who are grabbing all the gold they can get their hands on. wink
BTW, I thought you stopped looking for the "Lost gold mine of Pitt Lake". You said you would not say why, but I guess, once bitten by the gold bug, it's just too hard to stop.
Sure your not just trying to perpetuate the myth, your name, and your website?
Why don't you hook up with some of these mining companies and work with them to find some good sources right outside the park? Surely all of your info is of use to someone?
Just some thoughts that might peak some more interest.

OP
OP
Daryl Friesen

Daryl Friesen

Mar 21, 2003
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Hello,

Actually this is not at all a attack on Amercians. You can come to British Columbia and prospect if you want to. I am just trying to get to the bottom of the mystery and to learn if there is a unknown party out there who has found the gold. As any experinced treasure hunter can tell you when a Big one is found most of the time it does not make the press. Many treasure legends go on long after they have been found. Right Floyd I belive Floyd Mann talked about this is one of his newsletters.

In regards to my own search for the lost mine it will not be over until I reach it . In regards to trying to perptuate the myth.No,I was just trying to see if there would be any reaction to this piece of materiel. Those of us who write like to try it on a audience. In regards to hooking up with other parties well all I really need is a helicopter pilot who I can trust and who has the kind of machine needed for where I need to go.

Thanks
Daryl Friesen
Spindle Explorations

Attachments

• 2015-11-10 18.38.06.jpg
    2015-11-10 18.38.06.jpg
    233.3 KB · Views: 41

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Daryl,
I've read all your stuff and have found it quite entertaining.
I like your mountain climbing adventure above the waterfall the best.
Didn't you try and fly to the bomber crash site in a helicopter a few years ago and it crashed?
Surely you could save up a few hundred bucks and charter one with a few trusted friends?
You could always plan your outing to have a pilot drop you off and pick you up at a later time. This way you could have the pilot drop your near a site, but not right on top of it, then just mosey on over htere and fill up your backpack with the millions in gold that have to be there and walk back to your rondevous site to be wisked away where you can count it up.
Actually if you pick up enough value, you can buy your own helicopter!

MDnoob

Apr 23, 2003
Some Questions:

1)If the Canadian govt. knew all along about the lost mine and the existence of a gold bonanza, wouldn't they have gone in and gotten it themselves long ago?

2)How would a mining company just fly right into the mountains, totally deplete a mine of gold and then fly right back out with all the gold unseen? Isn't mining usually a fairly large operation nowadays?

3)Wasn't there a movie called "Yankee Zephyr" or something like that about a bomber that crashed which for some reason had a bunch of gold on it?

And if you love "Governments-stealing-secret-gold-treasure" stories, you will love this website. This one even has Conquistadors and the military involved!

http://www.wsmr.army.mil/paopage/Pages/Vipt1.htm

OP
OP
Daryl Friesen

Daryl Friesen

Mar 21, 2003
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Hello

I am glad that you have read my writing and that you got something out of it. The section you liked the best was the China Bar Chapter from Seekers. Was there anything else that you have read of mine that you liked or did not like?

Anyway,yes I did crash in a R44 west of Pitt lake in August 2002 while visiting the wreck of a B25 Bomber. We were also headed to a diffrent site north of the lake which we of course never reached. You can go to my website and click HELICOPTER CRASH if you wish to see more. There is a new picture of the bomber site that was taken this year as well.

Now in regards to Mcnoobs question about the Canadien Goverments involvment with the lost mine. I believe if they were involved they were working through a mining company. I dont belive if the site has been mined that they would have been able to get everything only the surface gold as you are correct when you say it would take a large operation to pull it off.However it is a vast area we are talking about and somone could work inside without detection for sometime. The only way to find out is to investigate all possible targets all of them very hard to reach.

Talk to you soon
Daryl Friesen
Spindle Explorations

OP
OP
Daryl Friesen

Daryl Friesen

Mar 21, 2003
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Hello Eddie,

I am really happy that you get something from my writing as it makes the process worth and it keeps me going as I am sure not getting rich from this. I do it for much more than just money. There are two ways in life to stay poor become a prospector and a writer. In both areas you need to strike the mother lode and the odds are against you. I am still only finding small flakes in my pan. The search is what is keeping me going but I am getting closer.

Thanks for the feedback
Daryl Friesen
Spindle Explorations

PS: I did not mean to make anyone who is American feel bad in the above article. It just happened to be Americians who may have looted the mine.

A

ARCOMANDPURPLE

goldenboyofwa said:
Who else but dumb canucks would have a park be a gold reservein the first place its callled FORT KNOX.
Blame Canada
CAUTION Golden boy,do not use uncalled for names on this forum a lot of our buddies are
Canadians.............. >:( >:(

OP
OP
Daryl Friesen

Daryl Friesen

Mar 21, 2003
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
The following picture was taken of a rusty area within the lost mine search area. I have been over this area several times and most of the time this rust is covered in snow. But for the first time it has been exposed Does anyone see any promising places to search in this pic. If I where to send in a small prospecting unit on the ground. Just looking for a second opion as I see a couple of places myself.

Hope to talk to you soon.
Daryl Friesen

www.spindlequest.com/mineintro.html

Attachments

• lostminesearch.jpg
    lostminesearch.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 1,229

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would start at that river in the lower left corner

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my opinion all you would need(to be basic and weight considering)is a few crevicing tools and a gold pan,for the river,and a small mortar and pestle for the mineral outcropping.Crush any promising looking mineral,and pan it.

mirkaba

Dec 7, 2004
Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Daryl Friesen said:
Does anyone see any promising places to search in this pic.
Looks like maybe a small intrusive body. I would work the contact along the top. Look for attendant faulting. The more thats happening the better........Bob

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread