Overburden slusher

principedeleon

Oct 22, 2013
Hello everyone..

I have been working on something to use to remove overburden with the use of two motorized winches. .

A larger one to drag a scraper bucket and one to reverse the bucket to the new start possition.

It should work something like a dragline but instead of carrying the material it just drags it across.

Trying to mine in remote areas is very difficult and trying to make it happend makes someone wonder if is possible. ??

Any ideas. ?
8ae9725d26698381d40fe63fa757e97e.gif

Bucket ideas ?
images (1).jpg

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unlikely that something that is light enough to pack into remote areas would be heavy enough to dislodge the densely packed river cobble. I can envision a bucket bouncing over rocks or breaking cables when it actually hooks a buried rock.

Now if you were hand digging with pick and pry bar then only moving loose spoils then maybe??

They used to use oxen so who knows??

Last edited:

mike(swWash)

Feb 6, 2008
Grays Harbor in Washington state
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT with about 1/4" of dust on it and can't even remember how t turn it on?!?!?
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Like Digger says it might be too light to be able to scrape much. However you might make provisions for the ability to add more weight like a few big rocks on the back end.

It could work but make sure the teeth/rippers are strong enough to withstand the stress without bending or breaking and also easily replaceable. :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
principedeleon

principedeleon

Oct 22, 2013
No. What im trying to remove is just a clay material with some roots.
I tried it with my first prototype bucket but it was not strong enough but my winch was working strong...

Ima make it now with 1/2 slick plate now on the sides for it wont close in on itself. .
But i know the winch would rip tree if it had tooo.
Lota of power to play with.
I just didnt used the right material to withstand the power of the winch.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
These buckets were used a long time ago on farms to remove soil for crop field's.... My wife's uncle has the family farm and there is one of these in his barn . BUT it is probly just as thin as the one you made before. I think they used to call them a DRAKE plow or something like that.

Last edited:

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a 2-1/2" fire nozzle would be a lot faster :evil6:
Where they use the term "firefighting" in the video, insert the term "Hydraulic Mining". Get the picture? :evil6:

OP
OP
principedeleon

principedeleon

Oct 22, 2013
The problem is we are planning on digging on a flat surface. .the place where we are trying to dig cant be dug by hand because it callapse.

But there is about 30 plus feet to make it bedrock.

The plan we had is to remove it with the Scraper bucket and hand dig the paylayer.

If the overburden was less dense i would had probably used a nozzle with a elevator ..a gravel pump should work but it would be a lot more fuel consumtion then probably the winch with a scraper bucket.

Here most of the gold is in the benches. This is why my desire is to quit dredging and trying to figure a way to mine inland.

Last edited:

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A slusher is a common piece of equipment in a narrow vein mine, but I've had the same idea your thinking using two 12v tug winches. One to drag the dipper towards you full of dirt and the other winch to drag the dipper back to the muck pile. I had long ago a shop fab'd post and arm crane on my wood truck. It had one of those little 12v winches on it to drag big logs out to the end of the bed to cut to length. That little winches really pulled along some pretty heavy green 12'' by 10' logs. As for the dipper blade that's something that a simple arc welder cutting torch equipped fab shop could put together I would think out of scrap from a salvage yard.

OP
OP
principedeleon

principedeleon

Oct 22, 2013
This is exactly what im trying to work around..a motorized winch is something that produces a lot of strength and is very fuel efficiente.

Having a properly having working bucket hoe could dig a large deep hole with enough cable.

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What you want is a horse-drawn bucket scoop... I have one in my yard. One man on the winch, one man on the handles of this scoop. With a winch attached, you could build it heavier and stronger with a downward angle in the front lip to make it constantly trying to dig. Then one or two men on the handles can push down on it to raise the front if it gets stuck. Basically, it's a giant shovel.
One man can handle about 3 feet wide, 2 men -I'm guessing 5 feet wide by 6 feet long? You'll have to build it to the size of your crew.

https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/...7QBGk___KGrHqIH_CwEvCk3gsCeBL_c72NClg___1.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
principedeleon

principedeleon

Oct 22, 2013
Wow thanks Reed. I have never seen that kind of scoop. I like the handle im the back something that i was thinking i could have placed in the design to have it towed by a crew.. Atleast to start with.

That bucket seems used with be cattles or horses .?

The scoop i was trying to design is something similar to the " Bosmin Overburden slusher"..

It doesnt have a bottom like a shovel but instead a blade that cuts and pushes at the same time.

They also use a " Top Net " that when it fills up it pushes it up on the scoop.

SunshineMiner

Jun 2, 2014
Someplace Sunny, California
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Those of you wanting to use fire nozzles... Use a smooth bore nozzle :icon_thumright:
farther reach, more gpms on target with minimal stream breakup = more punch

Don't forget to use a centrifugal type pump(Keene & prolines are centrifugal) as they create more pressure than trash pumps and will be more effective for your nozzle should you go that route.

augoldminer

Jan 7, 2013
high desert goldfields
Detector(s) used
gold master V-sat
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have used a slusher bucket and a 4x4 truck a few time to clear tunnel portals.

just ran two cables to the bucket with loops at the end and used the truck to pull the bucket in and out of the portal draging the fill out.

i have many hours on a slusher underground moving broken rock.

also moving ore cars with a Mancha type b Trammer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread