Oxbow Steamer Wreck

callicles

Jan 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Greetings:

I've been magnet fishing an old, abandoned oxbow where a steamship supposedly sunk in the 1850's. I have found quite a few hand forged nails, dowels, spikes, etc. that appear to be consistent with a steamboat.

On a recent trip I found the below item:

- it appears handforged (wrought iron);
- it is approximately 5 feet 8 and 1/4 inch in length.

Are there any experts that might be able to identify the item?

Attachments

• IMG_0887.JPG
    IMG_0887.JPG
    703.7 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_0888.JPG
    IMG_0888.JPG
    1,001 KB · Views: 184
OP
OP
C

callicles

Jan 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry for the pics above. I can't figure out how to flip pictures. Here are more pictures:

Attachments

• IMG_0889.JPG
    IMG_0889.JPG
    456 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_0890.JPG
    IMG_0890.JPG
    414.9 KB · Views: 148
OP
OP
C

callicles

Jan 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
More:

Attachments

• IMG_0891.JPG
    IMG_0891.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 153
  • IMG_0892.JPG
    IMG_0892.JPG
    977.8 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_0893.JPG
    IMG_0893.JPG
    466.7 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_0895.JPG
    IMG_0895.JPG
    468.2 KB · Views: 111

longcut

Oct 16, 2012
Misipy
Detector(s) used
X Terra 505 and Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There will be items with the ship's name on it ...... Plates , spoons etc.......... until you find some of that kind of stuff , hard to know what you have ....... there are lots of small steamers sunk on smaller rivers , along with the big steamers sunk on bigger river..... As far as the long rod pictured , it could be a rod to part of the steam engine controls or just a brace for a smoke stack ... hard to figure out.............. keep at it !!!!!

OP
OP
C

callicles

Jan 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the encouragement! Yeah, I'm trying to learn more about the items. I'm hoping to visit a nautical museum soon so that I can at least get a basic understanding of antebellum steamers. I'm hoping they might have resources I can turn to for help. It's frustrating to find all this stuff and be utterly ignorant of the items.

Do you or anyone else know of books or websites dealing with old steamers that I might consult?

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
keep going and you will have you own steamer.
good luck keep us posted brad

enrada

May 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you researched local newspapers for any articles of the steamer at the time(year) it sank?

OP
OP
C

callicles

Jan 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Have you researched local newspapers for any articles of the steamer at the time(year) it sank?

I wouldn't know where to start. The oxbow is on one of our deer camps. When I was a kid, the old caretaker who lived out there used to tell me the story about a steamship in there. He said that his grandfather could remember when the smoke stacks were visible above water. He would point in the water where it was supposed to be. He always said it was "before the war," so I just assumed 1850's or so. Well, fast forward 30 or so years later and I get a magnet. I decided to see if the story was true. I started slinging in the area he used to point out and I started finding this stuff.

As was was mentioned above, I probably would have to find a name of the ship on an item. Then, I might be able to research from there. However, I doubt the name is stamped on iron, and I ain't brave enough to swim with hungry looking alligators to recover non- ferrous items!

Last edited:

hobbit

Oct 1, 2010
I wouldn't know where to start. The oxbow is on one of our deer camps. When I was a kid, the old caretaker who lived out there used to tell me the story about a steamship in there. He said that his grandfather could remember when the smoke stacks were visible above water. He would point in the water where it was supposed to be. He always said it was "before the war," so I just assumed 1850's or so. Well, fast forward 30 or so years later and I get a magnet. I decided to see if the story was true. I started slinging in the area he used to point out and I started finding this stuff.

As was was mentioned above, I probably would have to find a name of the ship on an item. Then, I might be able to research from there. However, I doubt the name is stamped on iron, and I ain't brave enough to swim with hungry looking alligators to recover non- ferrous items!

Best of luck on what sounds like an interesting project.:headbang:

I am not trying to sound like a hero, but the odds of a fully grown man being attacked by an alligator are virtually zero.

Get in the water and get the non-ferrous stuff!! You can always wait until it is cold and the gators go to sleep.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
There are a lot of possibilities of what the piece may be but without knowing the name of the Steamboat and having a schematic, any answers are conjecture. As longcut stated, it could be a part used for steam engine controls and my guess is that it is a type of control rod for the rudder. Maybe an expert on Steamboats will stop by and provide the answer.

Frank

Last edited:

longcut

Oct 16, 2012
Misipy
Detector(s) used
X Terra 505 and Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
callicles, by any chance are you in Mississippi ............... the smoke stack story sounds familiar to a boat I know about .....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread