Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
80CA7BD9-4A54-49A6-8D99-2EF1432ED455.jpeg
1377B2F9-06B8-4EFF-A22B-F396E286B433.jpeg
78A22C54-4CD4-4F28-AF08-B70C83B14F63.jpeg
F53B1C1E-CE4A-4BB0-8214-64394479D754.jpeg
I find myself sometimes packing home rocks that are out of place when looking in the right place.
This was the last one. Wrong material for a tool (medium hard green and shisty with fractures) , but it is out of place and appears to have some odd wear on the longer edges, almost rounded. Kind of weird seeing that on both long skinny sides. If it was water worn, I’d expect to see it on the flat face. I wonder if it served some useful purpose in camp? I will never know.

Last edited:
Upvote 1
OP
OP
T

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My imagination could find ways that I could use a handily shaped rock in camp, but then again I think I could be jaded by my reality.

Were these people all that different than me? Would they balance that rock on the edge of a fire ring to heat a cup of coffee every morning? No, but maybe they could have prepared some manzanita tea in a stone bowl for a respected aging elder above some coals to ease some discomfort.

For some reason things like this spur my imagination much more than the ordinary flaked points or scrapers that we all fawn over so frequently that are typically found in creeks and plowed fields.

I guess just some thoughts out loud. Just a post about an ordinary stone laying around camp that’s likely destined to be moved to the geofact forum.

Last edited:

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have similar thoughts when I find a small out of place stone. Sometimes they don’t seem to have any purpose or any human alteration but they clearly don’t belong. My mind always goes to a secret ingredient to a medicine pouch. Unfortunately with things like that we’ll never know for sure.

OP
OP
T

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have similar thoughts when I find a small out of place stone. Sometimes they don’t seem to have any purpose or any human alteration but they clearly don’t belong. My mind always goes to a secret ingredient to a medicine pouch. Unfortunately with things like that we’ll never know for sure.
Well anything that sparks thought and discussion is a positive thing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread