Page #3 of the ciphers MUST contain the surname “Dowdy” within it.

youngdave

Dec 14, 2021
Detector(s) used
None yet I’m too poor
I am almost certain that page #3 of the ciphers MUST contain the surname “Dowdy” within it.
The reason why I say this is because of the 2013 blog I read from a famous cryptographer and computer engineer from IBM. I’m sure you’ve all read through it by now.
One of his last uploads explains how he realized the cipher is mathematically impossible to break with computer programs due to the nature of the random use of numbers -that may represent different letters- at different times in the cipher.
Despite this he still ran tests on the ciphers and eventually pinned down that the letters “DO” almost certainly were represented by the number 96 in the cipher. Eventually he managed to decode the name “Dowdy” from the 3rd page and he states he has no clue what it might have to do with the treasure. I am certain that “Dowdy” is the surname of someone that was alive in Virginia at the time, and there is even a road in Huddleston that’s called “Dowdy Crossing”
I don’t have the time or means necessary to dedicate too much time to this mystery, but I believe this information may be of interest to anyone still researching.
Below I have attached the most useful site of information on the cryptography of the ciphers. If anyone knows of this guy or how I can contact him please let me know.

Attachments

• 047D7713-9FDA-4780-900F-225F3F8C5CCB.png
    047D7713-9FDA-4780-900F-225F3F8C5CCB.png
    190.6 KB · Views: 95

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
youngdave, the img is from Stephen M Matyas Jr. webpage,he also has a DOI page and published
A Checklist of Books, Pamphlets, and Periodicals, Printing the Declaration of Independence, 1776–1825
@ that site he has contact me link. from the link you posted the img from, his bio says born in 1940
that would make him 81 now, keep in mind if still living he may have lost interest now

did a little search on the “Dowdy Crossing” in Huddleston, found some history
maybe the crossing was named after Hampton Dowdy & family

I looked into Hampton Dowdy found his name is Hampton Otey Dowdy, 1910 census says he was a barber
and a farmer. his middle name being Otey was curious, from a short search i dont see a connection
to the Buford/Otey folks
1st found H.O.D.here

look some more found him & his father

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
youngdave, the img is from Stephen M Matyas Jr. webpage,he also has a DOI page and published
A Checklist of Books, Pamphlets, and Periodicals, Printing the Declaration of Independence, 1776–1825
@ that site he has contact me link. from the link you posted the img from, his bio says born in 1940
that would make him 81 now, keep in mind if still living he may have lost interest now

I looked into Hampton Dowdy found his name is Hampton Otey Dowdy, 1910 census says he was a barber
and a farmer. his middle name being Otey was curious, from a short search i dont see a connection
to the Buford/Otey folks
1st found H.O.D.here

Most likely Sarah J. Wilkes' mother was an Otey.

OP
OP
youngdave

youngdave

Dec 14, 2021
Detector(s) used
None yet I’m too poor

to the Buford/Otey folks
1st found H.O.D.here

So shouldn’t we just force the name into a cipher code until something feasible is spewed.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So shouldn’t we just force the name into a cipher code until something feasible is spewed.
Why would you want to do that? I have all their names.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to Montvale today. I heard scuddle butt that Josh Gates was just there this Fall or Summer filming again. Anyone seen the show yet as I have not watched any of his shows.

doverturtle

Apr 23, 2010
York County, PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon; Garrett AT Pro; Garrett Infinium; XP Deus; Minelab Excalibur 1000
I went to Montvale today. I heard scuddle butt that Josh Gates was just there this Fall or Summer filming again. Anyone seen the show yet as I have not watched any of his shows.
If he was there filming, the show hasn't aired yet.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Dardariel

Oct 27, 2018
Canyon, TX
Detector(s) used
White's TreasurePro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Names I was able to decipher:
Matthew (twice), Abraham (once), Thomas (once), Wreath (last name), Mary (once), William (once), Wilbert (once), Gery Sway, Dimetry (twice) Ott, Edward (twice), Newton(once), Herbert (once), and Albert.

States:
Louisiana, Connecticut (six times), Iowa, Alabama (three times), Maine (twice), Georgia (twice), Tennessee (four times), New Hampshire, New York, Oklahoma (four times), South Carolina (twice), and Mississippi...there are more mentioned but will just leave it at this for now.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread