Paleoindian Lanceolate Biface.

OneWetKnee

May 26, 2013
New Brunswick, Canada
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the oldest artifact I have ever found or even touched. It is 10,600-12,000 year old paleoindian lanceolate bi-face. It is made from a greenish flow banded rhyolite. which is an extrusive volcanic rock common in southern New Brunswick where I found this. I feel truly humbled by finding something so special.

IMG_0914.JPG

IMG_0913.JPG

Upvote 0

kansa54

Aug 12, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 1500 Tesoro Vaquero Tesoro Silver Sabre micro max
Makro Racer 2 Makro Multi Kruzer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome blade, can you show a pic of the thickness. Alot of those Paleo knappers were highly skilled and produced some amazing pieces. Congrats on your find.

OP
OP
O

OneWetKnee

May 26, 2013
New Brunswick, Canada
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome blade, can you show a pic of the thickness. Alot of those Paleo knappers were highly skilled and produced some amazing pieces. Congrats on your find.

haha I tried and tried, I hope these answer your question, only had my iphone to work with.

IMG_1177.JPG
IMG_1178.JPG
IMG_1179.JPG
IMG_1180.JPG
IMG_1181.JPG
IMG_1182.JPG
IMG_1183.JPG
IMG_1184.JPG
IMG_1185.JPG
IMG_1186.JPG

catherine1

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great artifact find from Canada! The weather is cold up there and I would be heading south if I was Indian/survivor. The Texas artifacts confirm my theory as they are so abundant. However I think they are not related. Nice blade/knife!!

OP
OP
O

OneWetKnee

May 26, 2013
New Brunswick, Canada
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great artifact find from Canada! The weather is cold up there and I would be heading south if I was Indian/survivor. The Texas artifacts confirm my theory as they are so abundant. However I think they are not related. Nice blade/knife!!

This stone was found in New Brunswick, dates about 10600 years, they say 12000 years ago France was connected to eastern Canada by an ice bridge. Much like the Bering Sea ice bridge connecting Asia to Alaska. Stones like this, with the same size and flaking style and dual points have been found in caches in northern France, and New Brunswick, Canada and Maine and as far down as Virginia ...so possible they moved south over the years.

FriscoT06

May 2, 2011
Hatteras Island, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II (retired), Minelab X-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
If it had been a recent find, I believe it probably would have made banner! That thing is gorgeous! Congrats!!!

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
First time I've seen it and I think it's an amazing find. Yeah, banner finds need to be "recent". Otherwise, how could it not make banner? It certainly is that good!

BarnNB

Tenderfoot
May 13, 2016
Quispamsis, New Brunswick
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Onewetknee - do you mind my asking where in the province you found this beauty? I've recently come back to surface hunting the Grand Lake area.

Stories like this provide inspiration....

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Onewetknee - do you mind my asking where in the province you found this beauty? I've recently come back to surface hunting the Grand Lake area.

Just FYI, thread is 3 years old...

scruggs

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2008
Northern Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Beautiful material and workmanship. I know your proud of that find! Thanks for allowing us to see such a piece of history!

Jon Stewart

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2011
I know this is a very old thread but I wonder where he got the info or who told him that was a lanceolate biface?

Mrdigz

Nov 14, 2015
Long Island ,NY
Detector(s) used
2 Whites MXT pros. Bullseye 2 & Bullseye trx pinpointers.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would love to find one of these Monsters! 2013 post? Too bad there's no updated info on this!!

OP
OP
O

OneWetKnee

May 26, 2013
New Brunswick, Canada
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I found it just outside of westfield, you know where that is being from Quis! :)

OP
OP
O

OneWetKnee

May 26, 2013
New Brunswick, Canada
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this is a very old thread but I wonder where he got the info or who told him that was a lanceolate biface?

Dr Black at the University of NB held the stone for a few years and that was his hypothesis. As it is an isolated find its near impossible to date it. It does have some of the features of a solutrean biface, but no two anthropologists can agree if there was a migration from europe to eastern NA.

More recently (4 months ago) Metin I. Eren Pd.D. a professor in the Department of Anthropology, Kent State University reviewed some photos and said "We do have a lot of bifacial bipointed specimens like yours that are securely dated to the Mid-Holocene period between 3000 and 7000 years ago, so if i were a betting man that is where I would put my money"

In my opinion Dr. Eren is much more likely correct. His reputation precedes him.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread