Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:dontknow:was Labeled

Circa 1914

José Doroteo Arango Arámbula (Pancho Villa)

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you sure that is not El Guapo?

:dontknow:was Labeled

Circa 1914

José Doroteo Arango Arámbula (Pancho Villa)

Great picture. It is Pancho Villa, in Ojinaga in northern Mexico. The picture is a publicity still taken by photographer John Davidson Wheelan of the Mutual Film Corporation in January 1914.

Here's a less cropped version:

Pancho.jpg

Last edited:

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The picture has an interesting history. Villa was supposed to have signed a contract with the Mutual Film Corporation in January 1914, whereby the rebels undertook to fight their revolution for the benefit of the movie cameras in exchange for a large advance, payable in gold. It’s often described thus:

In 1914, a Hollywood motion picture company signed a contract with Mexican revolutionary leader Pancho Villa in which he agreed to fight his revolution according to the studio’s scenario in return for $25,000. The Hollywood crew went down to Mexico and joined Villa’s guerrilla force. The director told Pancho Villa where and how to fight his battles. The cameraman, since he could only shoot in daylight, made Pancho Villa start fighting every day at 9:00 a.m. and stop at 4:00 p.m.—sometimes forcing Villa to cease his real warring until the cameras could be moved to a new angle.

Elements of the story are true, but are both exaggerated and embellished. There’s a great article on the Smithsonian website which explores the mythology in more detail:

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/hist...he-myth-of-pancho-villa-movie-star-110349996/

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks ! the others above Completely lost me :(
when they started posting movie scenes , I gave up on believing anything they were saying :coffee2:

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks ! the others above Completely lost me :(
when they started posting movie scenes , I gave up on believing anything they were saying :coffee2:
When you are posting to be funny I guess it is ok. when someone else attempts humor it is inappropriate I guess. No worries. I will not post on your threads again. Have a great day.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wasn't an attack :( Just a Statement of Fact :( Don't be so
Timid ! the Truth: when you posted 3 Amego's a movie I would never watch I Wondered if you were full of Crap about El Guapo who I Never heard of and Steve posted a scene from
Romancing the stone, I did Give up on yas .... on this one :laughing7:
Trust me ! if Your Humor is uncalled for, your Posts will Disappear :coffee2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread