Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After I finished the last swimming area I decided to go back to the park where I recently camped with the scouts. I have never found much here except for clad. I was figuring I would find a little clad and as always I was hoping to get lucky, but not expecting to find anything special. The hunt started slow with a few pennies and I was figuring I would be lucky to get $0.50. But in the end I found a 2 silvers and an interesting piece of local history. This goes to show that treasure can be almost anywhere. Sometimes in the spot you think is least likely to have any.

I spent 3.5 hours swingin the CZ21 in the park and found 42 coins with a face value of $2.00, a new dog tag belonging to Wolfgang, a tiny aluminum smiley pendant or charm, 2 wheat pennies, a dog tax tag, a silver whatzit, a silver ring, aluminum can slaw and whole cans as well as 2 pop tabs and assorted bits of copper, brass and aluminum.

A7AE4795-51D4-4F5C-84D7-27E3EAB8FC59.jpeg

The dog tax tag is unusual in several ways. All the ones I have seen up to now have the county or a city on them and they all have a year on them. (You pay a fee every year and get a new tag). This one is for a small district (current population is only 1400) in a neighboring county and does not have a year. I guess it could have been a one time tax paid for the life of the dog. No idea how old it is. It reads GARRETT COUNTY DOG TAX DIST. No 9 808. Maybe if I contact the county office someone will be able to give me some info, but from past experience I?m not hopeful.

8DC9D4EE-D7D7-4EE5-BF41-F81A1E33D352.jpeg

The silver ring has W on it made of what looks like brass. It is marked sterling with a makers mark. I?m having trouble finding the mark. I?d like to get an idea how old the ring is. If you recognize the mark and have info on the years of production, please chime in.

83818950-A808-48E1-846C-7D809BF359BA.jpeg C31EA0E2-DAB6-48A0-BB05-B96A59395062.jpeg 02A2FC02-2DC8-41B6-88EA-51243DF7EAF4.jpeg

The last piece is a mystery. With the engraving and lettering, it looks old. I believe it is silver. It passed the ice cube test, but I don?t want to use acid on it for a more definitive test. It is thin and has a hole in the middle that looks like someone drove a nail through it. Most of the front looks hand engraved and the number on the front matches the number stamped on the back. Also on the back on the edge you can see a Roman numeral 8 (VIII). The engraving under the numbers is hard to decipher. The edge bottom letters look like WELLED with a possible S in front of that. You can only see the tops of the middle lettering. If anyone recognizes this item please chime in. I have no idea where to start the search for this one.

8961B8EB-3D03-479B-A829-AF1C20903513.jpeg 1F387338-FA9A-4684-B50B-E237A8031C86.jpeg 4E73BBC3-4CB9-4629-9AC4-B5A23C9D7EE9.jpeg

So more silver to end the week. 6 hunts in a row with silver and 4 out of 6 with gold. Weeks like this don?t happen very often. I am a happy guy. I?ll take a couple of days off to recuperate and enjoy Labor Day with my wife and then it?s into the state parks for the fall harvest. Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck, and may your coil lead you to good things.

Upvote 13

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like all these,especially your dog tag.Hail oddcoins,what he don,t know about dog tags you don,t need to know.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good haul. Just thinking about the mystery item, which looks strangely familiar.

The Sterling ring is by the Vargas Manufacturing Company, founded in Providence, RI c.1945. They used a variety of marks, but the 'V in/over elongated Diamond' mark was registered on 15th January 1947. The company was still active up until about 1980 and perhaps still existed up to about 1996 but I don't think that particular mark was renewed and may not have been in use beyond the 1960s.

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe the back off a watch?

OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good haul. Just thinking about the mystery item, which looks strangely familiar.

The Sterling ring is by the Vargas Manufacturing Company, founded in Providence, RI c.1945. They used a variety of marks, but the 'V in/over elongated Diamond' mark was registered on 15th January 1947. The company was still active up until about 1980 and perhaps still existed up to about 1996 but I don't think that particular mark was renewed and may not have been in use beyond the 1960s.

Thanks Red-Coat. That is a big help. Stay safe and keep swingin.

OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver disk solved

I posted this silver disk in the What is it? Portion of Treasurenet and got some good info back. I do believe they have solved the puzzle. It does indeed look like the inner dust cover (cuvette) of a key wound pocket watch. Looking more closely with that in mind you can see half of the hinge beside the Roman numeral 8. (Circled in red below). This hinge looks like others I have seen on older watches. Looking closely at the center hole I believe the hole was originally smaller and was enlarged over many years of use. It is possible the original key was lost and the replacement was bigger and the hole need to be enlarged. The letter in front of the W looks like it could be an E for JEWELLED. Key would watches were made for along time, but the last ones were made in the late 1800s. No idea of the age of this one, but it is definitely an oldie. It would be cool if I could figure out exactly who manufactured this one and when. That will take a lot of research if I ever get the time.

812A8E72-8767-4204-8A68-A870B086447C.jpeg

Well done and thank you SCpicker for your quick ID, Mackaydon for your suggestion about the hole, and ffuries for your explanation of the spelling. You folks are one of the reasons I post on treasurenet. The knowledge readily shared is a wonderful resource for all of us.

Many thanks, stay safe and keep swingin.

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good read I think you had a sweet day I love those old tags and silver keep at it.Glad your doing so well.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It definitely is an inner cover of an early pocket watch

OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good read I think you had a sweet day I love those old tags and silver keep at it.Glad your doing so well.

Thanks Tommy. It is nice to hear from you. It has been a while. Stay safe, good luck and keep swingin.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread