Blewfur

Jan 12, 2021
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Silver
Nokta Makro Pulsedive
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone hunted the curb strips in a shopping center parking lot? who do you ask for permissions, if anybody? Store manager, security guard? Just go and take your chances? What are those strips called anyhow?

I live north of Austin, TX. A lot of the local parks websites state no metal detectors allowed. Some of the other smaller towns allow detecting in parks. The area is growing, so not many abandoned buildings in the area. I'm just trying to think outside the box.

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone hunted the curb strips in a shopping center parking lot? who do you ask for permissions, if anybody? Store manager, security guard? Just go and take your chances? What are those strips called anyhow?

I live north of Austin, TX. A lot of the local parks websites state no metal detectors allowed. Some of the other smaller towns allow detecting in parks. The area is growing, so not many abandoned buildings in the area. I'm just trying to think outside the box.
Always ask permission. We must be good emissary for the metal detecting kingdom. I would go with the manager always. And be CAREFUL in a place like that. Would be easy to miss a needle in the grass or mulch and could ruin your day. And possibly life. Good luck in your search and if I may suggest, you might think about relic hunting. Much more rewarding digging up history. Cheers,

OP
OP
Blewfur

Blewfur

Jan 12, 2021
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Pulsedive
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always ask permission. We must be good emissary for the metal detecting kingdom. I would go with the manager always. And be CAREFUL in a place like that. Would be easy to miss a needle in the grass or mulch and could ruin your day. And possibly life. Good luck in your search and if I may suggest, you might think about relic hunting. Much more rewarding digging up history. Cheers,
I’m not opposed to relic hunting. Everything around me is being developed at such an alarming rate, I wouldn’t know where to begin.

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m not opposed to relic hunting. Everything around me is being developed at such an alarming rate, I wouldn’t know where to begin.
It is Texas. TONS of history and places out in rural areas. What you will find if you want to be successful is that perhaps 90% of time is research and 10% is actually swinging a detector. But little research needed for curb strips and if that that is your choice, enjoy. Nothing wrong with that and I wish you great luck. But if you want more of a challenge, you have old mining towns, Ghost Towns, beaches, swimming holes, railway towns, old schools, on and on and on. But remember to research laws for public land such as BLM.
This used to be hard to research places in the old days, but with internet, much easier. Whatever your choice, enjoy and remember to be a good ambassador.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Find old playing fields in your area. Look at old aerial maps or go to library and research where old schools and play areas were. There is also a guy who detects in East Texas on you tube, MDing e.texas, just look for that I am not giving full title I don't know if thats allowed.

alloy_II

Dec 24, 2021
When approaching a farmer for permission to search a field tell him you'll also remove metal objects that could damage a tractor or implement tire.

Tines often break off from cultivators, a new tractor tire these days can set the farmer back upwards of $8,000.00

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When approaching a farmer for permission to search a field tell him you'll also remove metal objects that could damage a tractor or implement tire.

Tines often break off from cultivators, a new tractor tire these days can set the farmer back upwards of $8,000.00
good point

OP
OP
Blewfur

Blewfur

Jan 12, 2021
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Pulsedive
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good point
A lot of days, I only have about an hour to hunt at a time. That’s part of the reason for my thinking. I’d imagine lots of trash as well as modern clad. I was wondering if anyone else tried it and what the results were.

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you could find an old strip mall that came about in the 50's or early 60's that has some grassy areas, you could well find yourself a silver bonanza! Problem is, if it isn't closed and abandoned, it's virtually impossible you'd ever be allowed to detect it.

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of days, I only have about an hour to hunt at a time. That’s part of the reason for my thinking. I’d imagine lots of trash as well as modern clad. I was wondering if anyone else tried it and what the results were.
Whatever you enjoy. It is all good. All the best in your hunts.

Sandflea

Greenie
Nov 27, 2012
Western Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ok, when I was on the road a lot, I used to do rest areas, now I do more relic hunting. I made a “Land use contract”, and it has blanks for the address, what I want to hunt for, and the split/disposition of what I find, signed by me and the person responsible for the property. This gives me legal written permission to be on the property, for specific reasons.
I also made it for the gold prospecting club I belonged too. Rarely do you get turned down when you show perfessional respect for someone’s property, I have a habit of treating others how I want to be treated with my place.
Just a suggestion to get more access to more places, I’ve even had them go too so they can see what I do, and ALWAYS leave it nicer than you find it.

Attachments

• GVGPC land use Argeement.pdf
    31.3 KB · Views: 45

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hunt the sidewalk strips here in town, it’s city owned.
I doubt you would find much in parking lot strips. The ground is not a place that people hang out on. But hope you find something.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whern hunting curb strips try and hunt the side WITH oou the fire hydrants first. Most towns have the hydrants on one side of the streets. The ones with out the hydrants are the least disturbed ones

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A friend of mine hunted the strips and medians around where he lives and has found Mercury dimes and silver Quarters and lots of clad but he lives in an older part of his town and the median used to be where people waited for the trolley when the town had one. So the odds are good for you as long as you don't run into a bunch of nosy Nellies, I would suggest getting a reflective vest to make you look like a city worker looking for pipes or sprinkler heads with your detector. It could help with the nosy Nellies if it looks like you should be there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread