Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• D739FF3E-4CF1-4B42-80C0-A932D82E010B.jpeg
    D739FF3E-4CF1-4B42-80C0-A932D82E010B.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 145

rebelminer

Jan 28, 2023
Its a possibility. I have broken 2 in my life and they always break in that general area because they all sooner or latter get flexed right there where that one broke. There may be a piece missing for that half. Most spurs have a tab with a strap button that goes through that slot. There may be some wear on the outside half of that slot where it moved around while the rider was wearing it. Cool find !

Upvote 2

ColtsPop

Oct 31, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven’t seen a spur like that before, but I do believe it is some type of post civil war horse equipment. My first thought was a saddle tie down.

Upvote 0

rebelminer

Jan 28, 2023
I haven’t seen a spur like that before, but I do believe it is some type of post civil war horse equipment. My first thought was a saddle tie down.
I would suggest to you to look up several spur manufacturers and look at their lite riding spurs. They look very much like that piece looks. As for "saddle tie downs"... most of the saddles in use in the 1800's used latigo's and D rings to cinch the saddle down.

Upvote 3

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are indeed plenty of spurs like that :) it’s the boot strap eye.

Upvote 4

metrotec

Jan 5, 2020
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites, Radio Shack, Metrotec, peach tree fork
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a whole one without the rowel , and yours looks like half of what I have.
Good find. I'd look for the other 1/2 , It's around there some where.

Upvote 2
OP
OP
Fullstock

Fullstock

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also questioned that being a spur. So I looked in Baird's book on spurs. In his section on civilian spurs, pages 90-92, he has some pictures of that very same spur. So it was a good call.
Thank you Duggar, I appreciate the information

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread