Partially plated zinc pennies?

Infector101

Mar 20, 2012
Lake Wallenpaupack, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So I was searching a bag of dimes tonight and came across not one but two pennies that I think are errors. It appears to me that they are only partially plated zinc pennies. Both are 1999-D and have pretty decent detail. It doesn't look like they copper was worn off or that it's PMD. What are your opinions and what do you think these are worth?
IMG_0779.jpg IMG_0780.jpg

Upvote 0

CRH

Nov 13, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro, garret pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
i have one just like that a 1994-d its missing about 85% percent of its clad it could be a mint error or someone could of worn it off or did it on purpose to make $$$$
they look legit though

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it's from a high school chemistry experiment. it was dipped in a solution which ate away at the outer layer.

OP
OP
I

Infector101

Mar 20, 2012
Lake Wallenpaupack, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
it's from a high school chemistry experiment. it was dipped in a solution which ate away at the outer layer.

I'm a chem teacher. There is no acid that reacts with copper but not with zinc. Also, you can plate zinc onto copper in a chem lab, but it happen uniformly not starting in the center and working outwards.

Eminem

Banned
Jul 20, 2012
Motor City
Detector(s) used
Not sure
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm a chem teacher. There is no acid that reacts with copper but not with zinc. Also, you can plate zinc onto copper in a chem lab, but it happen uniformly not starting in the center and working outwards.
Do you happen to know Walter white? I heard he's a big time roller

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other

That may be true but the large majority of unplated zinc Cents found in circulation have been subjected to some type of acid bath! At the same time, quite a few unplated zinc Cents which have also been subjected to a acid bath to make them appear as plating Errors from the Mints are sold on eBay everyday. This topic has been discussed by almost every Coin Expert/Professional in books and on websites and is often the topic of discussions on almost every Coin Forum here in the United States.

Did the two 1999-D Lincoln Cents that are missing part of the copper plating, come from a Mint bag of Uncirculated 1999-D Lincoln Memorial Cents? If so, then it is quite possible that they are legit Mint Errors! If they were in Mint bags that were sealed, only opened by the O.P. and then found, then I would say that they are legit Mint Errors!

Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread