Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was wondering if anyone has any experience patching holes in old Keene pontoons? I have some old pontoons that have holes on the top from where the old frame bolted on. I want to strap them onto a unistrut frame.

image1 (6).JPG

Last edited:

standard8

Jul 17, 2015
Seattle Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you just want to fill in some unused factory holes then well nuts are a good place to start.
Probably a quarter inch well nut will fit in the factory holes. That`s just a guess you might want to measure first.

Last edited:

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't remember the name, but in the plumbing department they have some epoxy sticks in a plastic tube with a gold label. Just cut a piece off knead it & push it in the holes. I can say it'll last at least 12 years. fixed a lip in my shower almost 13 years ago & it doesn't show any wear. I'd suggest swabbing out the holes with some Denatured alcohol if there's a chance of WD-40.

Another choice would be getting some nylon bolts from Depot or Lowes, screw them down tight & hot knife them off flush.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Another idea for you is quick steel.Its a putty you knead together.Can be used on anything,adhears to glass,will harden under water.You can sand it,file it,drll holes in it.Good stuff.I keep a tube handy iny car.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
I also had these pontoons and the 1/4 inch factory nut spun on me and I called Jerry Keene to get some replacements and he don't carry them anymore........So I went to Home depot with one of the old nuts and found that a expandable drywall anchor (1/4 S) looked just like the factory one so I bought a box of them and they installed great and then I sealed them off with clear water proof silicone adhesive. They worked great for many years . Plus I put a vent tube on the holes in front of the vent pontoons and ran it to a high point on the frame to prevent splashed water from entering the pontoon . There is moisture in the air and you need to keep the pontoons vented or the water in air will condense and water WILL form inside the pontoons! Plus you can hot air weld these pontoons to repair holes. BUT youll need to use some scrap pieces of that material to reall work!:coffee2:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like "Marine" formula Goop

the same maker as "Shoe Goo"

Maybe seal it and rivet plates over it to mount new frame to

pczim

Jan 4, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once you have fixed the holes, you could fill the pontoons with expandable foam. Easily done diy. It will prevent any sinking should you get any leaks whilst out mining.

akflyer

Jun 29, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For a clean easy fix you could put some rivnuts in then seal the threads with SS machine screw with an oring under the head. I have been using the rivnuts quite a bit and it makes things really easy for bolting together the highbanker and extension etc. Use it a lot on installing boat rails and lately handicap rails in a tub. 5200 on a plate pulled down with the rivnuts and screws and you have a forever fix.

OP
OP
N

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you just want to fill in some unused factory holes then well nuts are a good place to start.
Probably a quarter inch well nut will fit in the factory holes. That`s just a guess you might want to measure first.

They sell them at the Ace hardware under the name expansion nuts.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
I once was going to have my pontoons filled with closed cell foam for a unsinkable pontoon , but when I heard of the added weight of the foam per foot of the pontoons I cancelled that thought!

akflyer

Jun 29, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I once was going to have my pontoons filled with closed cell foam for a unsinkable pontoon , but when I heard of the added weight of the foam per foot of the pontoons I cancelled that thought!
and if you do pop a hole in it and the foam becomes waterlogged you can count on having to call in a crane or helicopter to lift it out of the river. The foam sprayed in boat floors is great the first year, then after a few years you can easily count on having the weight of a couple large men hiding under the floor boards..

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
and if you do pop a hole in it and the foam becomes waterlogged you can count on having to call in a crane or helicopter to lift it out of the river. The foam sprayed in boat floors is great the first year, then after a few years you can easily count on having the weight of a couple large men hiding under the floor boards..
?????????? on open cell foam I totally agree with your statement ! BUT on Closed cell ,it wont absorb water! BUT like I said it ended up being heavier than I wanted so I didn't have it sprayed in ! My goal was to make the dredge as light as I could.!

akflyer

Jun 29, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
?????????? on open cell foam I totally agree with your statement ! BUT on Closed cell ,it wont absorb water! BUT like I said it ended up being heavier than I wanted so I didn't have it sprayed in ! My goal was to make the dredge as light as I could.!

Closed cell is not supposed to absorb water... over time it still does. I have gutted way too many boats that it was sprayed into as well as roofs etc. that people had sprayed.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have not tried it yet.But i'm gonna :)

OP
OP
N

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yeah I am good on filling them with foam, they are in really good shape for their age the plastic is nice and flexible.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
I didn't know that the closed cell foam absorbed water over the years! But at my age , I don't want to lift ANY weight any more! OR maybe just 12 Ozers !:occasion14:

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use underground cable patch. You peel away a side cover and like black asphault patch . Rub in place and set in the sun. Good forever. John

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Worse comes to worse, put fiber glass cloth over the whole thing and wet down with epoxy resin. Then brush on a two part polyurethane paint. This would be the professional way to repair.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread