Pay Pile

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've posted on a couple different threads of my sons prospecting panning / metal detecting on this tailing pile. This is a big unwashed pay pile from the gold rush the rest of the tailing piles along this ravine are all rock no soil. My son has been digging away at the base of the pile where it rests on bedrock this pile is all hand dug and piled by the early miners. This is a big pile all we need is water not enough rain yet to run a sluice and too damp for a dry washer. I might start shoveling this into a quad trailer and haul it closer to water look at the photo the quad is parked on top of the pile not sure about length yet. But he's found enough gold to give me the fever. Happy mining, I added a photo of a pile we moved with the skid steer all rock no soil.

Attachments

• P2200137.JPG
    P2200137.JPG
    943.7 KB · Views: 138
  • P2200141.JPG
    P2200141.JPG
    614.9 KB · Views: 138
  • P3040213.JPG
    P3040213.JPG
    93 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
Upvote 16

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
I assume you already checked the ownership of this land BEFORE you started digging. And in Cal. i'd really check BEFORE I'd bring in a skidster ! Cal. is VERY temperamental about anyone digging in "their" land!:BangHead: BUT GREAT FIND AND GOOD LUCK ! Please keep us posted on your progress !

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
gpz (died in a fire. rip)
Primary Interest:
Other
I assume you already checked the ownership of this land BEFORE you started digging. And in Cal. i'd really check BEFORE I'd bring in a skidster ! Cal. is VERY temperamental about anyone digging in "their" land!:BangHead: BUT GREAT FIND AND GOOD LUCK ! Please keep us posted on your progress !
It is his property. But knowing California they might still have a problem with it. I know you can move 100 yards without a permit, but if any of it makes it into the creek water, you are asking for big fines, even if the rain carries the material there. ( if it ever rains again)

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeeze! Way to throw a wet towel on their excitement! I know you were just trying to be helpful, but I think we are all well aware of the boot on our neck. Especially in California.

OP
OP
southfork

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own it and building a fire break right through these piles I don't need permission. I thought everyone would be interested in left over pay piles. Just clearing off an old road of all the dead and down trees and brush

OP
OP
southfork

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is from a half a pail of soil off the side of tailing pile. A few specks nice spot for a sluice if the rains return my personal finds today and the total take so far from the pile.

Attachments

• P3050217.JPG
    P3050217.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 50
  • P3050218.JPG
    P3050218.JPG
    28.2 KB · Views: 58
  • P3050221.JPG
    P3050221.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 52
  • 20190428_094514.jpg
    20190428_094514.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good luck......I hope that pile pays off for you.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice going on the gold.
Nice skidder also, I'd seriously give the left one for that.

OP
OP
southfork

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice going on the gold.
Nice skidder also, I'd seriously give the left one for that.
I hired that logger and his machine to take out some gray pine and pile all the slash to burn. Opens the view and gets rid of ladder fuels below our place. Nice open fire break grass and oaks now.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I hired that logger and his machine to take out some gray pine and pile all the slash to burn. Opens the view and gets rid of ladder fuels below our place. Nice open fire break grass and oaks now.
Living in a hot dry for years it's an investment.
Lucky we get seasons up here to keep it a tad moisturizer.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Jeeze! Way to throw a wet towel on their excitement! I know you were just trying to be helpful, but I think we are all well aware of the boot on our neck. Especially in California.
Thankyou for the comment . BUT some of our younger member's might get ahead of themselves and NOT think of the consequence's BEFORE they act ! I know and have been there myself and saw a lot of other's(gpaa) doing so also. As they say , "a once of prevention is worth a pound of gold" !

OP
OP
southfork

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow I thought this was a gold prospecting forum sorry if my meager finds upset anyone or maybe it's just jealousy.

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow I thought this was a gold prospecting forum sorry if my meager finds upset anyone or maybe it's just jealousy.
Southfork, You’ve got a nice thing going with having family nearby that share your interests, additionally that you own land that provides the opportunity to enjoy multiple hobbies all without having to travel. I’m happy for you that you may have found a pile of ground that might keep providing enough gold to keep pulling you and your family out into the sun working together. No telling what’s inside that pile of dirt. I enjoyed seeing what you have going on there.

OP
OP
southfork

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Southfork, You’ve got a nice thing going with having family nearby that share your interests, additionally that you own land that provides the opportunity to enjoy multiple hobbies all without having to travel. I’m happy for you that you may have found a pile of ground that might keep providing enough gold to keep pulling you and your family out into the sun working together. No telling what’s inside that pile of dirt. I enjoyed seeing what you have going on there.
Thanks keeps us close to home gold rush junk- bottles- gold and native American artifacts and arrowheads

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Southfork , my comment was NOT to "rain on your parade" ! I didn't see anything about that it was on your land before I wrote my comment ! If that was my land I would most likely do the same thing you are doing ! SORRY for the mess up on my part ! BUT it is good advice for the younger guys that are new to prospecting ! I hope you find the "motherload"!:occasion14:

OP
OP
southfork

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Southfork , my comment was NOT to "rain on your parade" ! I didn't see anything about that it was on your land before I wrote my comment ! If that was my land I would most likely do the same thing you are doing ! SORRY for the mess up on my part ! BUT it is good advice for the younger guys that are new to prospecting ! I hope you find the "motherload"!:occasion14:
No problem I would not want someone with a skid steer trespassing on our land. It would be a bad day for them we have had problems with trespassers in the past.

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
gpz (died in a fire. rip)
Primary Interest:
Other
I always appreciate your posts Southfork. Good stuff

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks keeps us close to home gold rush junk- bottles- gold and native American artifacts and arrowheads
I know exactly what you mean. I just drove past 3 test holes and a pile of rocks surrounded by square nails if you know what I mean. Might drive out past the older stuff and see if something reflects back at me with the sun going down. ; )

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Literally the real treasure isn’t the gold. We have such a bigger reward than the folks who’s footsteps we are walking in. Their’s was a huge roll of the dice with everything on the line and life changing wealth as the jackpot….ours a side hobby with only the rules to fear and enjoyment spending time comfortably with our family as OUR PRIZE . No more grizzlies, just zombies and THE MAN fretting about water and missing out on potential fees and/or fines.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread