Peacock Goddess - and who is Judy?

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
I picked up a few items at an estate sale yesterday but only one of significance. I fell in love with this lamp almost immediately:

DSC05721.JPG DSC05722.JPG DSC05723.JPG

This is a large table lamp standing almost 3.5 feet tall and weighing probably 30 lbs. or more. The shade and peacock tail are leaded glass. The woman and peacock are metal, presumably bronze. However, I suspect that the patina on this piece is not the natural product of age. I'm am by no means an art expert but my understanding is sculptors will often chemically treat bronze to produce this dark brown patina. However, there are a few spots on the piece that make me unsure of the patina and the underlying metal. For example:

DSC05730.JPG DSC05729.JPG DSC05728.JPG
In the first picture above, the patina seems to have literally chipped off the piece like paint. But then, as shown in pic 2, the patina seems thin almost as if someone started to polish it and the underlying metal began to show through. In pic 3, the exposed part looks more like pot metal than bronze.

DSC05725.JPG

I am particularly interested in identifying the artist. It seems odd to me that an artist would produce a limited edition piece and sign it with only their first name. I can find a few female sculptors by the name of Judy or Judith but none of them seem likely to have been the creator of this piece.

My concerns aside, it is still a lovely piece and truly stunning when illuminated in a darkened room. If this is actually a limited edition bronze sculpture by a known artist it might be very valuable but I have serious doubts and perhaps I overpaid for it.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A very interesting and beautiful lamp.

OP
OP
T

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the links. Here is another one:

Purple Peacock Lady - Purple Shade Tiffany Style Floor Lamp

I find it interesting that none of these three shows or mentions the maker. I am increasingly skeptical of this "Judy" and her "limited edition". However, the asking prices for this lamp at Gulia and Pianki are both into the thousands.

Last edited:

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a modern repro. Are you sure it is made from metal? Looks like a baked on glaze coming off. Or maybe paint. When one applies patina to bronze it will NOT chip off, it may wear thin from handling but it cannot chip since it is merely an applied tarnish and not really a coating.

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
It is most likely Spelter. That is a zinc based white metal covered in a coating of Bronze or other finish. It is a way of making something look bronze, when in fact it isn't.

OP
OP
T

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
It is most definitely metal. For one thing, even though the peacock is hollow, the piece weighs a ton - without the shade. More importantly, there is a removable steel plate on the bottom which allows access to the light bulb in the peacock's tail. This piece is attached by means of three screws which go into metal brackets welded to the inside of the base. That, of course, doesn't mean the piece is solid bronze but it definitely isn't chalkware or some other crappy material that is often used to simulate bronze. I don't know for sure what the metal is but, judging by the white-ish patch on the lady's left shoulder, it could well be spelter.

A little research this morning taught me that there are different types of applied patinas and different methods of applying them. At least one of these results in a "crusty" patina. I'm guessing that is what I have here. The more I learn about this, the more convinced I am that "Judy" and the limited edition numbers are bogus. So, even if it isn't a rare work by a famous artist, it is a pretty lamp and I may well keep it.

Last edited:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a beautiful lamp and would be a keeper if it was in my house, even if it isn't that old. The lamp in reply number 2 is the closest to your actual lamp. It sold for $650. The lamp in reply number 5 is also very close to yours. It also looks the same as the one that sold for $650 at auction. The lamp is described as "bronze semi clad" on the first link and then the next link says "fine bronze base" in one statement then "bronze finish" right afterwards.

OP
OP
T

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
If I do decide to sell it, even $650 would bring me a nice profit. I'm still leaning toward keeping it. In either case, I would like to find a finial for it. It should have one similar to what the other lamps have but I can't find a finial anything like those. The shade on this lamp sits on a disk that is 4" in diameter. All the finials I can find are very small.

Aug 30, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, I have the exact Lamp which I picked up at a Goodwill here in South Louisiana. My Bronze is perfect but needs a finnial. I have # 127/200 signed Judy.
Like you, I have not been able to find anything on this lamp except your post. Now you know that your lamp is not alone:)

Blaine Steve

Nov 21, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_5429.JPG
This lamp is marked "Judy 72/250"
I too have had difficulty finding anything on the maker.
I have seen a lamp like your peacock and another with all red glass as a fire and a standing Native American chief with flowing headdress beside the fire.
https://new.liveauctioneers.com/item/29329582
These were also marked JSW Studios.
Tracked them to a Facebook page and got the address of
JSW Studios
922 SE 14th Ave
Cape Coral, Florida
1(239)707-1361
Will be calling today asking for some info.
Hope this helps!
If you've discovered anything else, please post,
Thank you!

Last edited:

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My moms name is Judy. She did not make your lamps, but I feel like I need one after seeing yours! Very awesome looking piece. Thank you for sharing!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread