Pelona Mesa - southern extremity of San Augustin Plains

Highmountain

Mar 31, 2004
New Mexico
This place is one of the more interesting a person might spend some time, and largely overlooked by everyone. It's a Quaternary lava flow, as is the region to the south, which makes it hard on the tires getting near it. The land's all BLM, was once a BLM Wilderness Study Area, and though the time elapsed under the law for it to become actual designated wilderness, they continue to treat it access-wise as though it's sacred.... if you want to take a vehicle in there you've a job of work and study figuring out how to do it.

About 2/3rds of the mesa is bisected by E/W Cottonwood Canyon, full of interesting everything. On the discharge [west] end there are logging trucks, vehicles rolled up into the canyon walls and floors from a flood in the 1950s washing down a logging camp. The side-canyons and top are speckled with ancient ruins, and those choked with lava debris from an earthquake in the 1890s and the later flood still wash down some fine gold that can be found in the pockets and cavities of the lava boulders.

The east-end of the mesa's bisected N/S by Shaw Canyon which also has much the same things as nearby Cottonwood.

Camping on the top a person can see everything for 50 miles across the San Augustin Plains to the north and a person could probably spend a decade just turning over rocks and examining ruins.

Bat Cave on the North face was the location where the family of the ex-Texas Ranger [Cow Dust and Saddle Leather] name slips my mind just now, filled a coffee-can full of nuggets he was bringing up from 100 feet down. Hmm--Ben Kemp. That's the name.

I don't know what the BLM's doing these days insofar as time-ran-out Wilderness Study Areas, but despite having spent a lot of time in there during the 1990s, I never ran into another human being there.

Anyone who doesn't mind destroying a set of good tires might find the place worthwhile.

Afterthought edit: Pelona is also the site where a crashed UFO and the spent carcasses of several aliens are supposed to have been recovered a bit worse for the wear by coyotes and weather in 1952.

2nd Afterthought: Luera, next promontory to the east might be equally or even more interesting. It's all public land except the access routes, but those are closed off and have been so almost forever. A person with a lot of determination could legally hop a fence public-land-to-public land, and do a lot of walking, but there are too many canyons and too little human-life-span for me to have ever been motivated enough to do it. But I have a strong suspicion Luera has never been prospected.

Attachments

• Pelona Cottonwood Canyon.jpg
    Pelona Cottonwood Canyon.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 543
  • Pelona Shaw Canyon.jpg
    Pelona Shaw Canyon.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 573

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HM - thanks for all the information on places of interest in your area. I don't know when I'll get a chance, but they're all going down on a "potential to do" list and I hope I can make a trip out that way to do some exploring soon.

OP
OP
Highmountain

Highmountain

Mar 31, 2004
New Mexico
Cubfan: Thanks for the reply. It's heartening to see someone's reading the stuff and finding it of interest. It came to my mind a while back I've been blessed by getting to explore more out-of-way places in New Mexico than the average person, and that most of what I saw will be lost when I get lost. Thought it would be a shame not to have passed some of it along if anyone wanted it. Or at least get it down somewhere a web search might turn it off sometime if anyone ever gets interested enough to do one.

I've got a mental list of about a hundred places I might sometime get around to writing a bit about that way, depending on whether it appears anyone goes outdoors anymore in this country and shows signs of looking for hard-to-get-to places of the sort I like best.

Gracias,
Jack

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
Highmountain said:
Cubfan: Thanks for the reply. It's heartening to see someone's reading the stuff and finding it of interest. It came to my mind a while back I've been blessed by getting to explore more out-of-way places in New Mexico than the average person, and that most of what I saw will be lost when I get lost. Thought it would be a shame not to have passed some of it along if anyone wanted it. Or at least get it down somewhere a web search might turn it off sometime if anyone ever gets interested enough to do one.

I've got a mental list of about a hundred places I might sometime get around to writing a bit about that way, depending on whether it appears anyone goes outdoors anymore in this country and shows signs of looking for hard-to-get-to places of the sort I like best.

Gracias,
Jack

These places are within my range but probably not in this lifetime. My terra-obscura to-do short list is too long already and I'm not getting any younger.

OP
OP
Highmountain

Highmountain

Mar 31, 2004
New Mexico
True enough. A lot of them I wouldn't be willing to tell of it I thought I might ever being going back. And frankly, not much chance even if I managed to get all of them written down that anyone would ever bother visiting them. Every year the spectator sports, televisions, malls and other magnets further diminish the number of young people who have any interest in such things.

History Channel's where they get what history they know [and aren't ashamed to say so], Nature Channel's where they experience nature, Discovery Channel's where they do their discovering, and Masterpiece Theater gives them their highbrow literary educations.

Keeps everything safe and easy.

Thanks for the reply
Jack

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Highmountain said:
True enough. A lot of them I wouldn't be willing to tell of it I thought I might ever being going back. And frankly, not much chance even if I managed to get all of them written down that anyone would ever bother visiting them. Every year the spectator sports, televisions, malls and other magnets further diminish the number of young people who have any interest in such things.

History Channel's where they get what history they know [and aren't ashamed to say so], Nature Channel's where they experience nature, Discovery Channel's where they do their discovering, and Masterpiece Theater gives them their highbrow literary educations.

Keeps everything safe and easy.

Thanks for the reply
Jack

You may be right, but I wouldn't give up hope. I know there's some fathers and uncles out there who are teaching their kids the value of exploring and adventuring in the REAL outdoors rather than in front of the TV playing their video games.

It starts with parents and what they instill in their kids.

Put it this way - without adventure and treasure books to read as a young boy, I may never have developed an interest. 50 years from now, an 8 year old kid could come across something you wrote and it could change their lives forever! There's a great deal of power when you combine the written word with an imagination and curiosity!

OP
OP
Highmountain

Highmountain

Mar 31, 2004
New Mexico
Dave45 said:
I for one read all your posts, and find them very interesting got any for Texas :thumbsup:
Dave

Hi Dave. Thanks for the reply. What part of Texas are you interested in?

Gracias,
Jack

jones791

Dec 6, 2007
Las Cruces
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 50/ Minelab Etrac
Thanks for the info! I hunt turkey every year near this area and I am planning on detecting a cabin up in a canyon that I found near the plains. Keep the info coming. My grandsons and I are going to be spending some time in the area! Thanks again!

OP
OP
Highmountain

Highmountain

Mar 31, 2004
New Mexico
Thanks for the reply Jones.

Since you're going to be in the area, if you do a little panning as well as MDing you might drive west a little way to where the road forks to go down toward Apache Creek and Reserve and out toward Pie Town, Quemado and Springerville. When you get so's you're seeing Horsehead NNE and the arroyos coming off it toward the highway you'll see some places where there's been a lot of new erosion and the arroyos go vertical wall and deep approaching the highway.

Seems to me there were three, maybe four where the culverts were high enough to walk through and I used to check them everytime I was through there, sweeping the black sand from the corrugations, bagging it up and taking it home to process. Every few times I did it one of them would show some fine gold and occasionally a decent nugget if there'd been heavy rainfall since the last time I was through.

Gracias,
Jack

OP
OP
Highmountain

Highmountain

Mar 31, 2004
New Mexico
Dave45 said:
Hey Jack
Im in central Texas.
Thanks Dave

Hi Dave. I haven't done much in Texas since 1992, but I used to do a lot of bouncing around there. Anything I post might be long out of date for one reason or another. But I'll give it some thought and if I come up with anything I think might still be out in the country I'll post it to the Texas forum. Some things do come to mind out toward Goldthwaite, Lampasas, and up south of Fort Hood, but the country was growing so fast then there's no telling what it's like now.

Last time I was through there the old Kinney Fort site on Brushy Creek was still vacant of houses and I don't think it had ever been MDed. That's where the 'Archives War' took place, and it was the final gathering site for the Texan Santa Fe Expedition of 1841. They spent a couple of months there. The Webster Massacre site between FM 2243 and the pavement, if it hasn't all eroded away, might also still turn a thing or two. It was always so grown over it would have taken a determined MD guy to work it.

The Webster party headed north when Austin was still Waterloo and the Pentakas hit them as they crossed Brushy, had hair teeth and eyeballs scattered all over from the Creek north almost a quarter-mile. You ought to be able to spot the crossing site by a cemetary about 100 yards north of the road, looked as though they were building a warehouse or something on the west boundary last time I was through. The cemetary had a mass-grave [relatively small one, considering] with what they could find of 27 people in it from the Webster party.

I only found it once and never got around to nosing around it, but Captain Cal Putnam had a blockhouse fort out toward Liberty Hill in the earlies, right in the middle of Penateka country. I looked for it for years but it was only toward the time I was packing up to leave the area someone told me where it was. Can't recall the location.

There's a book about the history of Williamson County was written by the lady owned the Williamson County Sun that was good and had a lot of info, but I don't know whether the Sun still exists and I'm reasonably sure the lady's dead by now [Edit: Scarborough was her name, I recall now].

As I recall there was a massacre, or fight on Bird's Creek over toward Three Rivers, also something to do with some possible treasure up north of the San Gabriel north fork... spy named Flores during the Republic years. Middle Fork, or maybe the North Fork had ancient animal tracks going up the bottom all over the place, but they might've washed away by now.

One of those towns off to the east, I'll have to think on it to remember the name, had a Civil War prison camp that was a big one. Also had a major plague of cholera and the cemetary was worth spending some time just reading the gravestones. Name of the town might have started with a G, over toward Cameron or somewhere headed toward Bryan from that little town 10 miles north of Taylor name slips my mind. If I can recall any details I'll post them on the Texas forum.

There's a cemetary down near Centerville or Centerpoint with about 100 Texas Rangers buried in it out in the middle of nowhere that's interesting for getting names from so's to chase down who they were and what all they did.

But you might want to go to the Archives and try to get copies of the daily marching orders for the Texan Santa Fe Expedition of 1841. [That entire folder has a lot of interesting info in it] I used those, along with a master thesis from the 1920s or 1930s by hmmm name slips my mind, but he was head of the UT History Department during the Dobie times, thesis "The Route of The Texan-Santa Fe Expedition of 1841" [He lied here and there but nobody caught him at it ..... In those days the thesis was housed in Perry Castenada] .... to follow the route and examine the campsites I could find all the way from Kinney Fort to the surrender sites in New Mexico when I was writing Hell Bent for Santa Fe. The expedition only made about 12 miles a day on average, so there are a LOT of campsites. [North to Mankins Crossing on the San G, north to Three Rivers, north almost through now Waco to China Springs, crossed the Brazos up by Granbury, major problems in the Cross Timbers country, west through Holliday and onward west ... those guys lost a lot of gear along the route and had lots of problems with Indians and not having anything to eat and a drunken commander and mutiny out near Turkey Creek and Roaring Springs]

Haven't thought about all that in a long time. Sorry I can't help more. [If you narrow down where you are a bit some other stuff might come to mind]

Jack

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions