Pemmican

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Have tried. Beats starving to death but only just. I'm sure there are likely better recipes than the one I tried. Dried venison (pounded to powder), beef fat (rendered) and cranberries. I think that was it.

Reminds me of the suet cakes we put out in the winter for woodpeckers and chickadees.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just bought a food processor, meat slicer, and dehydrator. I will begin to experiment with making some pemmican. TTC

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’d be curious to try it but Charlie P said almost the exact same thing everyone Ive encountered says. It’s food but not by much

Nevada Prospector

Aug 16, 2017
Southern Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher GB II, Etc, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Other
This thread reminds me of a friend that always carries a can of spam in his pack. He said that it will taste good by the time he really needs it and there is no danger of him eating it until that time comes. I have to agree with him.

Palmetto

Mar 21, 2009
UpCountry, SC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,Teknetics T2, Fisher Goldbug,
Whites 5900/ di Pro sl
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This is a fantastic Youtube Channel if you havent seen it already. He does tons of 17th and 18th century recipes with lots on Pemmican.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr2d4As312LulcajAkKJYw

Got-Good-Tones

Mar 17, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pemmican recipe

Here's a recipe you might like to try...

Got-Good-Tones

Attachments

• Pemmican.doc
    25.5 KB · Views: 29

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I love fried spam. Sorry to gross everyone out, but I eat a lot of it.
Lol sorry a bit off topic, but I make sure there are a couple cans of Spam in the pantry for TEOTWAWKI. Those cans never last more than a few months. There are over a dozen different flavors, my fav is fried jalapeño. Fried Spam takes on a completely different texture. Now add scrambled eggs and cottage cheese to the plate and you’ve a meal fit for a king!

Last edited:

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
... and here I thought it was tick repellent.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread