Pendant or Buckle???

Boondocks

Greenie
Jun 1, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this in a park that was from the mid 40ā€™s but it also has some Civil War 3 ringers. This was at the depth as the other older stuff like Mercury dimes and wheat pennies but I donā€™t know what it is. At first I thought it was a small buckle but now Iā€™m not sure. You can see it looks like a man wearing a hat. The back is nondescript with no marking at all. Iā€™ve included a wheat Penny for reference. Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• CDAF14C8-4537-457F-9368-DD8C815F9C16.jpeg
    CDAF14C8-4537-457F-9368-DD8C815F9C16.jpeg
    260.2 KB · Views: 32

GoldieLocks

Bronze Member
Dec 28, 2019
Nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I came to the same conclusion .However, if I remember right, the girlscouts were created much later than the Liberty Dimes? Girl Scouts were created by a woman who's house has a fancy historical plaque in Savanna, GA. I read it when I was there about 14 months ago

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, the ā€˜Girl Guides of Americaā€™ were founded by Juliette Gordon Low in Savannah in 1912, following a meeting with Baden-Powell in London. They changed name to ā€˜Girl Scouts of the United Statesā€™ the following year. Baden-Powell introduced the ā€˜Rosebudsā€™ in Britain in 1914 as the youngest membership level, changing the name in 1915 to ā€˜Browniesā€™. That also spread to America, but was not officially recognised until the mid-1920s.

Thatā€™s a ā€˜Browniesā€™ membership pin.

That particular design (elf on trefoil) wasnā€™t introduced until about 1939 and, as a wartime measure to conserve metal, was originally made without perforations on the trefoil so it could be stamped as a thin sheet. The thicker perforated trefoil that also conserved the amount of metal needed was initially an unofficial variant that was formally adopted after the end of the war in 1946.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread