Pennies, to dig or not to dig

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Of course dig the cents. I have several Indian Head Cents so far and I'm sure there is a Flying Eagle out there for me. ALWAYS sweep again after pulling a cent. Often there is a deeper coin that other detectorists have overlooked.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get burned out on the Zincolns for sure , but you really should dig em - I tested a gold ring (10k) and it came up as a zincoln ! also
regarding copper penny signals , a lot of smaller silver rings will read in the penny /dime range - so you will want to dig them .

Captin Scrap

May 28, 2012
Detector(s) used
CTX, & ExCal
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
hate digging them, but what if it's a large cent, then what?

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you pretty much got your answer....Zinc pennies on my machine read the same as

Small Silver rings
Larger Gold rings
Wheat Pennies
Sometimes a Silver coin

it sucks...But the more crap you get out of the ground...the better chances of finding some goodies....I have had on several occassion dug pennies or whatever and went back over the spot, and there was something 3 inches under it...it happens

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This white gold (10k?) womens ring gave the exact same signal as a zinc penny on my AT Pro (#75). I dig all repeatable signals in the penny range, especially around an old house or park.

2013-08-04 14.02.26.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread