Castineman1779

Apr 30, 2013
Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
For those of u that read my post about a gold guinea being found recently at a Revolutionary War battle site I am happy to report I was able to identify the officer who lost it . As a student of this battle now over 23 years I am always doing research. A few days back my from N.C. sent me a thesis written by Major Dale W. Burbank . It was written by him and presented to the faculty of the U.S. Army Command & Staff college, West Point of partial fulfillment of the requirements for a degree. It was called "Want of Proper Spirit and Energy , "The Penobscot Expedition of 1779." The information is backed up by a team of folks who accepted it. . Most of the information derived from Major Burbank's grandmother who was knowledgeable about that event in Castine.
Before the American's landed at Trask Rock the morning of the 28th of JUly the British commander had dispatched the night before one company of 82ng REgt of Foot (Hamilton's) on a height of ground where he thought the American's may attempt a landing. . Cpt Archebold Campbell was in command of about 50 men on the right flank with Lt John Moore 20 on the left flank. Cpt Campbell on the right flank . to the left if TRask Rock facing the woods, upon receiving much artillery from the American shipping barely engaged the American's climbing the steep ground and when he broke ranks and hastily returned to the fort. However Lt Moore after his men were to do the same called out" Will the "Hamilton men leave me" " Come back and behave like soldiers." They did and engaged the American's killing 9 and wounded many others. Lt Moore was 19 years old. These were the only two officers that would be paid in gold and the only two at that location on that day.. Either Cpt Campbell and Lt Moore who could have owned the coin. However Cpt Campbell was but about 60- feet from the top of the ridge and on retreat went directly thru the area the coin was found and lost under fire. . Lt Moore stayed to fight the American's but when he could no longer hold his line returned on another path. So it is my opinion only this coin was lost by Campbell and with my knowledge of this 20 minute skirmish and hunting this ground extensively that is my opinion only. . Any opinions are always . welcomed. Gary

Attachments

• DSCN3500.jpg
    DSCN3500.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 75
  • DSCN3489.jpg
    DSCN3489.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 59
  • DSCN3481.JPG
    DSCN3481.JPG
    156.5 KB · Views: 57
  • DSCN3915.JPG
    DSCN3915.JPG
    118.9 KB · Views: 56
  • DSCN3471.JPG
    DSCN3471.JPG
    143.1 KB · Views: 51
  • DSCN3477.JPG
    DSCN3477.JPG
    109.6 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Upvote 12

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Very cool find and story. I hope to see this written up in a magazine or article in detail somewhere. Thanks for sharing all your research with us!

OP
OP
C

Castineman1779

Apr 30, 2013
Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very cool find and story. I hope to see this written up in a magazine or article in detail somewhere. Thanks for sharing all your research with us!

Washingtonian . THanks and glad u enjoyed the history . I have written and had published 6 articles in Western Eastern Treasure mag from 2006 - 2018 about relics , coins and other unique items found in castine from this battle in my last 23 years hunting there. I will be writing two this Fall. One called "The Relics of REvere" and the 2nd "Penobscot Expedition Gold or something with a like name.,. The gold guinea will be entered in the "Best Finds " of 2019 and see where that goes. Happy hunting. nGary

Last edited:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
''Any opinions are always . welcomed. Gary''

The history is interesting but the assumption that it was lost during the battle or by anyone individual is fantasy at best. I do lots of experience based speculation but I would never go this far. (Your story would work well on TV)

Last edited:

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that Western & Eastern mag. is no longer in print, on-line only, I won't be seeing the article.

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty amazing that enough info exists to link that to a person. Thanks as always for the story about this event and the artifacts you have found.

OP
OP
C

Castineman1779

Apr 30, 2013
Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
''Any opinions are always . welcomed. Gary''

The history is interesting but the assumption that it was lost during the battle or by anyone individual is fantasy at best. I do lots of experience based speculation but I would never go this far. (Your story would work well on TV)

Crusader. As mentioned in my last few words " Any opinions are welcomed" as is yours . Probably if u read that post it states . "IT IS MY OPINION ONLY" and anyone is free to state as u have here. Mine is mine from research, being in the ground and recent information I just received. I can't take u to wee the coin was found. I can't take u above TRask Rock on the height of ground Cpt Campbell was on that early morning on that day. However I can share my knowledge with u of what I di knw and what I do believe. Yes I understand indeed it is quite an assumption and like my shoe buckle I found near Trask Rock years ago also believed to have been lost by Cpt Hinkley on that very morning of the landing when he was killed off that boulder some thought was a "Quantom Leap" . Me I just use my knowledge , sometimes common sense and state my opinion. U , and others are indeed free to state yours opinion as u have done here.. Regardless both Cpt Hinkley's buckle and this gold coin will end up in a museum in Castine so their is no reason here to hype up my finds . BTW yes this battle would make a good movie except few American's, maybe Brits, want to see an American hero , Col Paul Revere, was brought up on charges of cowardness after this humiliating loss or the fact it was one as well. Anyone interested in chiming in an with opinion on Cpt Hinkley's buckle feel free to check out my old post "The Buckle & the Boulder." where u can read the whole article. NOt sure u did Crusader but I wil go back and have a look see . Thanks Gary

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Castineman1779

Apr 30, 2013
Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Now that Western & Eastern mag. is no longer in print, on-line only, I won't be seeing the article.

Well I did not know that. Thar indeed sucks and if u r interested when I write the one on the coin send will send it VIA email if u wish. Send me a PM again if u want. Should have figured they would find a beter way to build a mouse trap. Me I want hard copy. Thanks Gary

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, Western Eastern Treasures is online only. I have a subscription through the end of this year, but haven't gone online to look at it.

It is a reasonable, but unprovable assumption any particular person lost it. Crusader is correct, would make a nice video. What you have is 2 + 2 = 100.

I knew a guy who found 1810's French military buttons near Yorktown, a 1781 site, this was back in the 80's. A visitor, perhaps a veteran, visited the site and lost them. Last year I found a liberty $5.00 US gold at a heavily hunted public beach here. Thing looked like it had been dropped the day before, and I am guessing it was dropped quite recently. There is no way it's been just under the sand over 100 years and the detectorist flock didn't find it. People shouldn't take their cool coins and stuff with them on vacation, things get lost.

We assume a period item comes from the particular battle, etc., but it is not necessarily true.

Would make a nice video...

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
I must say you have quite the imagination!
It's fun to ponder...

~Blaze~

WG2020

Oct 9, 2018
SW Ohio
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Castineman, thank you for another great story/historical post. I always look forward to reading your accounts of the military engagement at Castine. And a big congrats on the banner for your gold coin find, definitely well deserved. Good luck with your hunts. WALT

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find, cool story. Thanks for your research and sharing.

OP
OP
C

Castineman1779

Apr 30, 2013
Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Castineman, thank you for another great story/historical post. I always look forward to reading your accounts of the military engagement at Castine. And a big congrats on the banner for your gold coin find, definitely well deserved. Good luck with your hunts. WALT

Thanks Mudflap , Walt and other folks for your comments . One thing I can say about Tnet is there will always be naysayers and that is fine. I don't deal with assumptions, speculation or Fantasy when I write about this battle /siege. I have hunted this site now for 23 years, researched about everything written in print, walked that historic ground and made my opinions based on my knowledge of this event and relics and coins found there. . My only regret here is that I did not put a question mark at the end of the heading of the post. However in my post I did write "IT IS MY OPINION ONLY" but maybe they missed that. Yes it would be hard to believe a person with a name lost this coin and maybe Cpt Campbell may have written home about this skirmish and lost that coin it would indeed be proof but doubt that it if did exist anyway. What did it for me and I felt comfortable doing this post when I received from my friend the thesis written about this battle /siege where Cpt Campbell and Lt Moore were in that area where the coin was lost on that day I posted it here for u all. Those folks , the naysayers, have probably never read anything in detail about the Penobscot Expedition, I know never set one foot on the ground it was fought on or know the participants and what they did there. I do and only post what I feel is my opinion. Thanks and if those folks want to chew on that bone more feel free. Am sure they will. No there won't be a movie but if I make it to my 25th year relic hunting this site there will be a book . Gary

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread