Penpaling is....Awesome!

civil war hunter

Feb 10, 2009
west virginia
Detector(s) used
whites classic 5 id, and bounty hunter.
I have to say,so far I've had some fun with the hobby. I use a website called Penpalsnow.com,I send many emails talking about myself and my hobbies.. So far I have gotten one letter from a girl in Kansas,her name is Bethany. I've written back to her,not a very long letter than what I like to do,my letters are like mini stories of my 2 days It took to write it. I guess the concept of penpaling is to gain trust,and friendship through something other than email or texting. You should try it,and I'm always looking for people to write my very long stories to. You can PM me for my address if you wish to write,all I expect is for you to write back and write maybe not as long as I, but close to. :laughing9:

Bad thing about joining the website is that you get allot of junk mail,African people wanting you to transfer 1 million dollars to their bank. It's stupid and don't believe it! Hope you are well,Daniel

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being a pen-pal can be very rewarding. Most of the Nigerians you mentioned started out that way as someones pen-pal. When they got really proficient in writing, many became grifters. :thumbsup:

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
This used to be one of my hobbies when younger. In those days we had to use an implement called a "pen"! (Google it)
The internet is a wonderful thing, but it put letter writing to the sword, a damn shame in my opinion!
There was a really good feeling on waking up and seeing that letter with the foriegn stamp on the doormat. (Most letters are mailed through the front door of your house in the UK.)
To really enjoy the penpal hobby, try to find friends willing to actually write and use so called "snail mail". It's a lot more fulfilling. :wink:

OP
OP
civil war hunter

civil war hunter

Feb 10, 2009
west virginia
Detector(s) used
You know,I hear that allot on the site. I was wondering what it was,really to me,it sounded really slow. I thought maybe it was a style of writting where you write for several days before sending back the responding letter. Of coarse now I understand it, even knowing the title doesn't really help it's purpose meaning.

Dano Sverige said:
This used to be one of my hobbies when younger. In those days we had to use an implement called a "pen"! (Google it)
The internet is a wonderful thing, but it put letter writing to the sword, a damn shame in my opinion!
There was a really good feeling on waking up and seeing that letter with the foriegn stamp on the doormat. (Most letters are mailed through the front door of your house in the UK.)
To really enjoy the penpal hobby, try to find friends willing to actually write and use so called "snail mail". It's a lot more fulfilling. :wink:

OP
OP
civil war hunter

civil war hunter

Feb 10, 2009
west virginia
Detector(s) used
I think it's quiet interesting that you guys think I'm not that old fashioned?? I think my generation is starting to go too far in my opinion,I recently went back to public school. I've seen everyone's attitude towards adults,I don't like it one bit,I would be kicking teenager butt if I was one of the teachers in my school.
Anyhow,back to penpaling. I use a pencil for my letters,I usually die just alittle bit inside when I don't see a letter in the mail for me. It's hard to talk to the Koreans and the Chinese I have found out,they don't understand you,you can't understand them. It's still going to be fun when ever their letters get here,lol. I was thinking of sending them currency and different foods,what do you think of that? I just hope they send me something back,lol.
OK,yes,I wasn't done with the teenager thing,sorry. Really,to be honest,I understand all people,all types of personality's,talk with all cultures. I don't judge,and I don't preach,I also talk and interact with different people,old or young. I guess you could say that I'm Confucius,or Buddha. Homeschooling has changed me from being a rude public school child,to a minor adult. Hopfully you guys respect that,I will always respect you.

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
I respect you mate. You seem more mature than your age, which is never a bad thing, and you seem to enjoy being curious and getting your fingers in many pies, so i wish you good luck in all your endeavours.
Try sending out 1 of each US coin to your pen pals, and asking for 1 of each of their coins in return. Also postcards are good to recieve in the mail, and an excellent way of seeing the great sights of other nations and cultures.
I'd hold off on any food parcels though. Many countries, including yours, have VERY strict laws on food imports.(That includes chocolate..milk products are usually a big no-no!)

Have fun mate. :icon_thumright:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wife and I started out as penpals, she is Filipino and was living in Cebu Philippines when we started writting. After writting her for a year I decided I wanted to meet her in person and took a 2 week vacation to Philippines to meet her........About a year later we were married and have been married 14 years this November.....

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was in elementary school we all had pen pals from another class, in another neighborhood. I think it was about once a month, our letters were bundled together and sent to the school to be distributed to the corresponding students. It was a fun pastime, that and we got to skip a lesson so we could reply. :tongue3:

This went one over the course of the semester, writing a quick letter about your school and hobbies. I had a nice kid from the Bronx, Timmy. We both shared many of the same interests and hobbies, like Boy Scouts, music, etc.. We were also trying to figure out if we had met at camp, or some other event.

All went well for the first 5 months, and on the sixth month I never got a letter from Timmy. I still had to do our assignment and wrote that I was disappointed that I was the only one who didn't receive a letter the past month. The following month I got a letter, but it wasn't from Timmy. It was from his mother and it read that she was sorry, she didn't know Timmy's assignments, but he was struck and killed by a car while going to school. She went to mention how much Timmy enjoyed writing to me month after month and hoping that we would meet in the future.

OK, the above paragraph is just nonsense, but we did have to write kids from another school. The good part is that in early June, we did pay a visit to that school to meet our pen pals... You know, I still like that above story better than this true one :tongue3:

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
You need professional help mate!!! :laughing9:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread