People, Cities, and Municipalities Need to treat Detectorists Better.

AusTexDude

Aug 12, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Metal detector enthusiasts have cleaned up tons of trash over the years. I don't use "Tons" as an exaggeration, we have literally cleaned tons and tons of trash up.

We have virtually cleaned out MOST of mankind's pull tab littering extravaganza of the 1970s! Millions and millions of pull tabs.

We clean out lead sinkers from water systems and trash from parks.

We have returned countless personally cherished items to their owners.

If someone gives you a hard time about detecting, STAND UP FOR YOURSELF. Tell them what we do, don't let them look down upon you because of some misaligned thought they have in their tiny head, in a polite way, tell them how it really is.

Some people have it in their head we prey on other people's misfortune... HOGWASH!!! :violent1:

If someone wears a 1 OZ Gold Medallion into the ocean and loses it, who's fault is that? Maybe they just have too much money to care if they lose stuff like that.

In any case... not my fault, maybe they should have prioritized not losing their 1OZ Cold Medallion instead of wanting to look cool while swimming in the ocean.

Be polite, but also don't be a pushover. If someone gives you too hard of a time, call the cops on them.

Don't detect in places you're not supposed to, fill in your holes, and you should never have any REAL problems.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Point taken, but just remember 1 "oh crap" can wipe away 100 "atta-boys". A park may have been hunted by 100 considerate MDers in the past and yet the latest yahoo is too lazy to cut good plugs, does not fill in the holes, and let's the trash lay after digging it. We have all got to a site and saw these signs of a Yahoo.

golddigger14s

Aug 14, 2007
Lawton, OK
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
It's almost the same thing for gun owners. Ther are million of guns out there, but you hear of only the few people that do bad things with them.

OP
OP
AusTexDude

AusTexDude

Aug 12, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Point taken, but just remember 1 "oh crap" can wipe away 100 "atta-boys". A park may have been hunted by 100 considerate MDers in the past and yet the latest yahoo is too lazy to cut good plugs, does not fill in the holes, and let's the trash lay after digging it. We have all got to a site and saw these signs of a Yahoo.

Yea one idiot with a mission can spoil the soup for everyone. Anyone of us catching these people in the act needs to be stern. Everyone has cameras now. If I was to catch someone I would clearly tell them stop what you're doing, go back and fill in your holes right now or I'll take your picture along with your plate number and personally deliver it to the city parks division or whatever governing body rules that domain. If they get standoffish well that's a whole other conversation for a different forum. (One of the many great things about living in Texas is I don't have to live life being a victim... our laws help us protect ourselves, unlike some of the other "play the victim" states in our union.)

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The problems is that some people aren't going to be impressed with your pouch full of trash. That have it in mind that you are a vandal and nothing is going to change their opinion. I've run across these narrow minded busy-bodies many times. I just smile, tell them to have a good day, and keep moving along. Sometimes they call the police, most times they don't. I don't care either way. It's rare the police will even tell you to stop. If they do, I do......and come back a different day and time. Arguing about it only makes things worse and doesn't solve a thing.

JMac48

Dec 17, 2013
This isn’t the issue with just detecting. This is the issue with everything going on now. Stand up for yourself and your freedoms. It’s your life and you only get one to live and enjoy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread