People Planting Finds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thebigd81

Oct 3, 2019
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A fairly big YouTuber was just busted buying a love token off eBay and planting it for his most recent video (which he has now deleted). I know why people do this but it's insane how many do it. The fun is researching and finding those great finds not buying stuff and pretending you found it. It's crazy what depths people go to to get likes and subs on social media from people they'll never meet.

The YouTuber made all of his videos private when he was outed and just recently turned off all comments for his videos. Some people are beyond pathetic and need professional help

Attachments

• img_1_1653921205591_copy_800x450.jpg
    img_1_1653921205591_copy_800x450.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 297
  • img_2_1653921221392_copy_800x450_1.jpg
    img_2_1653921221392_copy_800x450_1.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 285
Upvote 10

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A fairly big YouTuber was just busted buying a love token off eBay and planting it for his most recent video (which he has now deleted). I know why people do this but it's insane how many do it. The fun is researching and finding those great finds not buying stuff and pretending you found it. It's crazy what depths people go to to get likes and subs on social media from people they'll never meet.

The YouTuber made all of his videos private when he was outed and just recently turned off all comments for his videos. Some people are beyond pathetic and need professional help
Are they a member here?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

What was his name on Youtube?

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Damn I really liked his channel, how disappointing.

OP
OP
Thebigd81

Thebigd81

Oct 3, 2019
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Damn I really liked his channel, how disappointing.
I see a lot of people did. It's bad enough to plant finds but even worse not fess up and apologize to all the people you lied to. He just deleted a ton of videos, blocked comments, and goes on as nothing happened

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I never watched that channel. I have "caught" one or two video producers (youtube) red handed by the way the videos were produced. Others, I have been suspicious of. Now there are a couple who I believe were planting finds, but haven't recently, and a few I think are 100% genuine. But only a few of those. I guess its a self esteem issue.

Last edited:

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks for the heads up. He must have been neglected as a child and never grew up.

Zincoln Miner

Nov 14, 2003
New York State
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 340, Tesoro Silver uMax, Compadre, and BH Tracker IV.

Ex: White's Spectrum XLT, Tesoro Cutlass II Umax, and that circa late 70's red handled junk from RadioShack that started it.
I was suspicious at the amount of jewelry finds he has, but it's not impossible.

I unsubbed when the Love Token news came out.

If I made videos I would never plant my Zincoln finds.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Peyton Manning, I always find great things. But not this year...been a pretty slow year (since it started in November) with a few exceptions. Numbers of total items recovered has been way down.

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Peyton Manning, I always find great things. But not this year...been a pretty slow year (since it started in November) with a few exceptions. Numbers of total items recovered has been way down.
Smokey, I know you are very good at finding great items. But don’t you have weekends when ( or locations where )the finds are just not good? I think that happens to all of us.
But yet somehow some of these YouTubers manage to put out a video of great finds every single week (or more often) and they never seem to miss.

Personally I’ve stopped watching most YouTube videos about detecting because I just couldn’t believe that these people could all be finding amazing things so consistently. I’m human and while I’m not jealous, I do fee a sort of “how can they do that and I can’t?” Feeling.

I’m actually glad to have proof of a hunch I had: that some of the YouTubers plant their finds. It’s also super disappointing, but those people are human too I guess, and vulnerable to their own human emotions.

Finally (and then I’ll get off the soap box) I feel like all this YouTube-ing is ruining our hobby. People are watching videos and thinking it’s easy to find these items, and then going out and tearing up places (parks, schools etc). It’s bad for the hobby.

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smokey, I know you are very good at finding great items. But don’t you have weekends when ( or locations where )the finds are just not good? I think that happens to all of us.
But yet somehow some of these YouTubers manage to put out a video of great finds every single week (or more often) and they never seem to miss.

Personally I’ve stopped watching most YouTube videos about detecting because I just couldn’t believe that these people could all be finding amazing things so consistently. I’m human and while I’m not jealous, I do fee a sort of “how can they do that and I can’t?” Feeling.

I’m actually glad to have proof of a hunch I had: that some of the YouTubers plant their finds. It’s also super disappointing, but those people are human too I guess, and vulnerable to their own human emotions.

Finally (and then I’ll get off the soap box) I feel like all this YouTube-ing is ruining our hobby. People are watching videos and thinking it’s easy to find these items, and then going out and tearing up places (parks, schools etc). It’s bad for the hobby.
Amen. I tried to watch a few different youtubers metald detect but found two problems. Most had no idea how to swing a metal detector and I found their glorious finds questoonable. And besides, most of the folks I saw were annoying. I could learn nothing from them. Maybe I just did not see the right diggers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread