People Planting Finds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thebigd81

Oct 3, 2019
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A fairly big YouTuber was just busted buying a love token off eBay and planting it for his most recent video (which he has now deleted). I know why people do this but it's insane how many do it. The fun is researching and finding those great finds not buying stuff and pretending you found it. It's crazy what depths people go to to get likes and subs on social media from people they'll never meet.

The YouTuber made all of his videos private when he was outed and just recently turned off all comments for his videos. Some people are beyond pathetic and need professional help

Attachments

• img_1_1653921205591_copy_800x450.jpg
    img_1_1653921205591_copy_800x450.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 297
  • img_2_1653921221392_copy_800x450_1.jpg
    img_2_1653921221392_copy_800x450_1.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 285
Upvote 10

Zincoln Miner

Nov 14, 2003
New York State
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 340, Tesoro Silver uMax, Compadre, and BH Tracker IV.

Ex: White's Spectrum XLT, Tesoro Cutlass II Umax, and that circa late 70's red handled junk from RadioShack that started it.
Amen. I tried to watch a few different youtubers metald detect but found two problems. Most had no idea how to swing a metal detector and I found their glorious finds questoonable. And besides, most of the folks I saw were annoying. I could learn nothing from them. Maybe I just did not see the right diggers.
Yeah, there's a couple with OCD quirks while detecting I cannot stomach, but one I'll listen to if he's talking detecting (not doing it).

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My favorite was the guy who dug a SHINY Buffalo nickel at about 10" down. I had about 8 trips between November and April (meaning 8 weekends, 1 day each weekend) I found NOTHING this year but maybe clad. Three of the trips I found nothing. Very unusual, but hey, I can still get out there some. Getting older isn't for sissies. There are thousands upon thousands of acres of land near me, BUT with no houses ever reported on them, I'm not going to bother. (Note: I found three good items this year, but not on those 8 trips mentioned above.)

Last edited:

Yell-X

Jun 27, 2018
St. Petersburg
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never subscribed to his channel but I have watched several of his videos. Seemed like a decent guy. I would not have thought he would do such a thing. Now that I think about it he did seem to find more than his fair share rings.

Stupid thing to do.

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd like to find a nice gold ring. It's been awhile. Last two times out at the beach I found sinkers - sold them and some other lead from last year and got $25 from a scrap yard. It was a LOT of lead.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd like to find a nice gold ring. It's been awhile. Last two times out at the beach I found sinkers - sold them and some other lead from last year and got $25 from a scrap yard. It was a LOT of lead.
I save all the fishing lead I find and I store it, sinkers can be melted down and turned into bullets if ever needed. I find dive weight belts in garage sales sometimes for next to nothing, I buy them too, they have large lead weights in them.

dougachim

Jan 30, 2013
Las Cruces, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here in the desert we call the guys who find arrowheads in their pockets pocket point hunters. There was a old dentist who came with us in the 1970s I at first thought he had esp but turned out he brought the points with him. Finally figured out he would call everyone going a find out exactly where we were going and bring the correct points. We started changing our mind while on the road and he stopped finding 10's every trip

TheGreenBoy

Nov 10, 2017
Countryside
Detector(s) used
DBP2010, eeTH, tx850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have to admit that 2+ ours of nails and pulltabs would probably nobody wach.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Moe (fl)

Jul 25, 2007
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Whites, Tesoro, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A sad thing. Social media technology has made it very easy for some people to get attention by faking treasure finds. This is also happening at paid metal detecting events that some are planting bought finds which defeats the purpose of metal detecting.

Last edited:

TheGreenBoy

Nov 10, 2017
Countryside
Detector(s) used
DBP2010, eeTH, tx850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This reminds me on a public debate about modern journalism. The lady (journalist) replied on popular bad news dilemma: "you demand, we supply".

TheGreenBoy

Nov 10, 2017
Countryside
Detector(s) used
DBP2010, eeTH, tx850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few yeares ago i found a gold Napoleon. Knowing the history a knew it has to be a fake and it was. A very well made one too. Since the "gold", which was really a painted aluminium oxide, was still all shiny it had to be planted quite recently too. Someone had to "love" me doing the hobby. But a felt quite cool anyway, it really made my day. I still have that coin.

michael NY

Nov 4, 2007
USA
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Coinstrike, F70, Explorer XS, Sovereign XS, Spectrum, IDX PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My favorite was the guy who dug a SHINY Buffalo nickel at about 10" down. I had about 8 trips between November and April (meaning 8 weekends, 1 day each weekend) I found NOTHING this year but maybe clad. Three of the trips I found nothing. Very unusual, but hey, I can still get out there some. Getting older isn't for sissies. There are thousands upon thousands of acres of land near me, BUT with no houses ever reported on them, I'm not going to bother. (Note: I found three good items this year, but not on those 8 trips mentioned above.)
This is an interesting topic, i recall a guy at the local defecting club walked around asking people if they had ever found a Reale .. to this I did.. no kidding just like magic he all 4 feet of him next week shows up ready to show off the a Real he dug🙃
As far as a shinny Buffalo nickel I honestly did find one it was in the mud on edge of a lake that preserves it amazingly 1919.
A kid I know proceeds to tell me how he dug not one but holy crap but TWO Flying Eagle cents from same area, rolling my eyes I know a bullshitter.
I’ve made some really good finds and made good friends

cathexis

Sep 9, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A fairly big YouTuber was just busted buying a love token off eBay and planting it for his most recent video (which he has now deleted). I know why people do this but it's insane how many do it. The fun is researching and finding those great finds not buying stuff and pretending you found it. It's crazy what depths people go to to get likes and subs on social media from people they'll never meet.

The YouTuber made all of his videos private when he was outed and just recently turned off all comments for his videos. Some people are beyond pathetic and need professional help
If his channel is monetized, there's your reason.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That shiny buffalo was NOT found in mud, but high on a hill. We can't blame the mud.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was thinking dog poop worked! A park I was working had poop over at least seven coins where a dog had hit em dead on. NO! I didn't want to kill him, I wanted to buy him!

Those were the days when discrimination sucked so you dug it all just in case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread