austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Perhaps a core sample by a mining company, or an mder that took the dirt and left the treasure. Where is this mountain?

OP
OP
reptwar1

reptwar1

Jan 24, 2013
Russelville Arkansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Left my phone in car so couldn't take a pic, but if you can imagine a coffee mug size hole drilled in top of a bluff. Approx 8" deep. Area has been well travelled by Caddo Indians but what would their use be? Perhaps a water trap?

Gotcha. It's in Dardanelle Arkansas. On a bluff overlooking the Arkansas river. Really hard rock. Must have taken a while to do but looks very weathered

weekender

Feb 28, 2009
Arkansas-River Valley-Ft. Smith
Detector(s) used
Prism V
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hole

Left my phone in car so couldn't take a pic, but if you can imagine a coffee mug size hole drilled in top of a bluff. Approx 8" deep. Area has been well travelled by Caddo Indians but what would their use be? Perhaps a water trap?

Ask Dsty,

Just drill holes forum.

-Weekender

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With the location described, probably used to have a USGS survey marker.

5orpc7.jpg

Last edited:

miboje

Mar 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 PowerMaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Read Dsty's drill holes thread in the "signs and symbols" sub-forum. Could be a number of things, but will require investigation to determine.

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have found holes like that in the bedrock of rivers that were ground out with a hard rock that went round and round in the water current. Note: if you ever find one, reach into the bottom to see if the rock is still there - it will be a perfect natural sphere. Never heard of one of these kind of holes that was high and dry. I doubt it could be created by the wind and a hard rock. So my guess is the same as above - - A Native grind hole for corn or nuts.

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
Gotcha. It's in Dardanelle Arkansas. On a bluff overlooking the Arkansas river. Really hard rock. Must have taken a while to do but looks very weathered

They drill core samples around e. Ky. that's about 3" in diameter and over time the fill in with dirt and such from erosion. if the bottom is soft that might be what you have found

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Could have been a panhole or gnamma; but one made by a native and not natural.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread