Permission issues

LByles

Dec 23, 2019
Louisiana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So the spot we went to last weekend and found the CW stuff may have only been a one time deal. I’m pretty sure we wouldn’t have even had a chance if my husband’s aunt hadn’t asked the land owner for us (she took it upon herself to do so. I just wanted contact info lol), which was greatly appreciated. The land owner doesn’t live in town. My hubby texted him (land owner doesn’t like calls...something to do with the wife :icon_scratch:), let him know when we got there and also when we left, what we found, etc. Hubby thanked him and asked if next weekend would be ok to go back. Land owner said he’s been asked MANY times by people to hunt his land and he’s always said no. He told hubby that he was going to think about it and maybe consider letting us go back one more time. My thinking is that he wanted to go and make sure we didn’t tear up anything. My hubby is going nuts being in limbo, not having a yes or no answer. Other land owners around battle sites have also been reluctant to let us hunt due to others in the past digging trenches, cutting trees, and leaving a mess.

So question...how to you kinda “follow up” to see what he’s decided? We even want to offer him something...gift card, case of beer, free notary work, free labor with his cattle...but how would you do that without it sounding like bribery? lol If he’s worried about the liability issue, I’ve already looked at agreements we could offer to sign and notarize. We will even drive to meet him in person so he can “feel us out” and see we aren’t some young hoodlums like the other man had digging car sized holes in the middle of the night lol We want back on this property pretty bad, but I think another issue is maybe he thinks other people will think “well he let them, let me ask” and he doesn’t want to be bothered with strangers. Any suggestions?

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I would text him back and let him know how much you appreciate the opportunity to hunt his property and tell him that you would like to pay or do something nice for him. Always mention that you clean up the ground and take the trash finds out. You know, some people are just funny about this stuff. I think the best thing that could happen is that he come out and watch or join in.

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe text him a pic of your filled holes, "just in case he has concerns". You don't even have to have the original holes, but holes in general.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently just fixed a bunch of furniture for an older couple in town. When it came time for payment I posed the question of trading my work for a chance to metal detect their yard. Worked out great and now I have a new 1830's yard to detect that allegedly had some sort of peanut butter making operation in a shed out back(so random for western ny, we don't grow peanuts here lol.) point is if the owner can benefit and see you are not just in and out trying to take advantage of them, you are more likely to have a solid permission.

OP
OP
LByles

LByles

Dec 23, 2019
Louisiana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks y’all. Hubby has texted so fingers crossed! We did let him Sunday that the holes were filled and we did find a bunch of trash that we took out with us. I will gladly work for him if he lets us go back. Hubby did tell him I’ve had experience with cattle, castrating, blood draws and stuff. Hopefully we will hear back. I hate the not knowing lol

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Thanks y’all. Hubby has texted so fingers crossed! We did let him Sunday that the holes were filled and we did find a bunch of trash that we took out with us. I will gladly work for him if he lets us go back. Hubby did tell him I’ve had experience with cattle, castrating, blood draws and stuff. Hopefully we will hear back. I hate the not knowing lol

Hope it works out for yall.

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If he has concerns about others wanting to hunt ask him about leasing you the rights. That way he can tell others the land is not available and you can keep an eye on it for him.

OP
OP
LByles

LByles

Dec 23, 2019
Louisiana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well it’s been 8 hours with not even a response. Dude could at least tell us no.

And yea the only people that even know we were in his property are my husband’s parents and his aunt. Anyone else that has asked about the bullets, we’ve told them “one of the spots we hunt along the river”. Simple as that. Oh well. You win some, you lose some. Back to the drawing board with some maps I got copies of today.

OP
OP
LByles

LByles

Dec 23, 2019
Louisiana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aaaannnndddd holy $%!(#^&)(^@_@& we just got a yes! Saturday is a go!!!! Looks like we are hunting from the butt crack of dawn until we can't see anymore!

Oh wait....I have a flashlight on my detector! :hello2:

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
G' luck. Show your finds.