🔎 UNIDENTIFIED â€śPeter Delapenha’s” tag or badge?

Detector mom

Oct 5, 2011
Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
white's mdx 300; simplex plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the only upside to not having a lot of time to detect…I was reminiscing about detecting days of yore (2 weeks ago), examining some old finds, when I picked up this nondescript thing I hadn’t really looked at carefully. Turned it over and what do you know, there’s this name, Peter Delapenha, carved on the other side! It is very fragile but still slides open. I don’t see writing beneath the latch but I’m going to clean it a bit more. Meanwhile, what do you think this is? (I am googling the name as we speak…)

Attachments

• 16697ACE-EFC4-414A-BAB0-536069A66D76.jpeg
    16697ACE-EFC4-414A-BAB0-536069A66D76.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 184
  • CED97190-491C-457B-BF5C-3654E56AB636.jpeg
    CED97190-491C-457B-BF5C-3654E56AB636.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 69
OP
OP
Detector mom

Detector mom

Oct 5, 2011
Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
white's mdx 300; simplex plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like it was attached to a leather strap or something at one time. So far I searched his name on FamilySearch & find-a-grave and found no match. That is such a unique last name - I thought it would be easy.
Just did the googling! There was an Edward Delapenha who lived in my town in the late 1800s-1900s. In fact, he lived a few blocks from where I found the object. He was a pretty famous food importer who was born in Jamaica and had a bunch of kids and brothers, but no PETER. Any obits I can find for his death say he had grandchildren but never lists their names. I have to assume this belonged to that family! Kinda cool

Upvote 4

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like it was attached to a leather strap or something at one time. So far I searched his name on FamilySearch & find-a-grave and found no match. That is such a unique last name - I thought it would be easy.

Upvote 3

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just did the googling! There was an Edward Delapenha who lived in my town in the late 1800s-1900s. In fact, he lived a few blocks from where I found the object. He was a pretty famous food importer who was born in Jamaica and had a bunch of kids and brothers, but no PETER. Any obits I can find for his death say he had grandchildren but never lists their names. I have to assume this belonged to that family! Kinda cool
Yes I saw the NJ and Jamaica connections. Maybe reach out to a descendant and ask if they heard of him.

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread