PETRIFIED LIZARD

Hdgovroom

Oct 26, 2021
Ok, you guys are going to think I’m nuts (the last forum did). I have been prepping this for a month now and I am 100% convinced that it is a petrified lizard of some kind. It has a crown on his head and a sail on his back. I have sent pics to a group of paleontologists and am waiting for the reply. Will post it when it comes. I’m still working on it and will show my progress. By the way, it’s another decorative rock from my driveway here in Washington. It’s 4” long x 2” wide. I’m sane, I swear!

Attachments

• 2504B52D-D26F-401C-93DA-B9404FB822D1.jpeg
    2504B52D-D26F-401C-93DA-B9404FB822D1.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 677
  • 873238DC-11A7-40F9-912C-1446813436C9.jpeg
    873238DC-11A7-40F9-912C-1446813436C9.jpeg
    884.7 KB · Views: 310
  • 862074DA-219C-4C3B-87AF-A29252D65B01.jpeg
    862074DA-219C-4C3B-87AF-A29252D65B01.jpeg
    780.6 KB · Views: 299
  • 106A11D0-AD7C-46BA-8D4D-5A6632B0B1DA.jpeg
    106A11D0-AD7C-46BA-8D4D-5A6632B0B1DA.jpeg
    351.3 KB · Views: 322
Upvote 4

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm pretty sure if you squint your eyes and hold it up to the sun at just the right angle you can see a petrified lizard. :laughing7:
But, I have to agree with TP... it's simply an interesting rock.

Last edited:

Georgivs

May 16, 2018
Athens Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How would the entire lizard become fossilized? Are there any other fossils found at the source of your driveway stone? Sorry but I think it's just pareidolia. Cool rock though.

OP
OP
H

Hdgovroom

Oct 26, 2021
I really do appreciate all of your input. In the beginning I couldn’t understand why everyone was so quick to dismiss the idea of this being a fossil. So I did some research. Now I understand exactly why I got those answers. Oh, I found a mammoth, bugs,lizards etc but very few unaltered fossils and those had been trapped in ice or amber or something like that.

I’ll be the first one to admit that I know very little about fossils and nothing about extricating them. I’m not nuts or crazy. Well, maybe a little crazy but that’s not necessarily a bad thing. The thing however is that I have been removing the calcite(?) and tracing around each individual scale noticing the patterns on each and seeing this lizard slowly emerge. I only wish you could see it in hand. Pics don’t do it.

I’m not asking for anyone to agree with me. All I am asking is that you leave my thread open so that I can show my progress. The worst that can happen is I prove myself to be a fool. The last forum where I showed my “rock” a member told me basically, if you don’t want to accept our combined wisdom go somewhere else. Then he closed my thread so I couldn’t post my progress.

I welcome all of your comments whether you think I’m nuts or not. Especially the ones poking fun at me (from the other forum). I have a great sense of humor and He who laughs last…

So, Please leave this thread open and we’ll see what happens. K? Remember, I don’t know what I’m doing so it may take some time. Thanks guys.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Oh I have no idea if it is or isn't a real fossil or just the pareidolia. Some folks are really good at seeing the pareidolia, and some need a helping hand.
Either way good eye on finding the specimen.

Here's mine, they could be brother's from a different mother. ( But who got all the good looks?):laughing7:
Been with me, looking out for me for since /79

C63627C9-B3A9-45D6-AFB8-3BFC42022F1C_1_201_a.jpeg

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, you guys are going to think I’m nuts (the last forum did). I have been prepping this for a month now and I am 100% convinced that it is a petrified lizard of some kind. It has a crown on his head and a sail on his back. I have sent pics to a group of paleontologists and am waiting for the reply. Will post it when it comes. I’m still working on it and will show my progress. By the way, it’s another decorative rock from my driveway here in Washington. It’s 4” long x 2” wide. I’m sane, I swear!
😳

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice rock, but still rock not fossil.

WG2020

Oct 9, 2018
SW Ohio
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hdgovroom,

Interesting find. A good rule to go by with fossils is the soft pieces like the face in your lizard’s case don’t usually fossilize or are preserved outside of being encased in amber or buried in the permafrost like in Siberia or Alaska. Good luck with your hunts. Walt

OP
OP
H

Hdgovroom

Oct 26, 2021
Believe me, I realize the more I talk about this the more Looney Tunes I sound. I bet y’all are thinking Daffy Duck got nothin on me!
With that said, if what you guys have been telling me is true, and I really do believe everything you have said (‘cept that ain’t a lizard) then this is a very significant find! Pepperj said some people are real good at pareidolia (had to look that one up) and I probably shouldn’t admit this now but, I AM one of those people. Can’t walk down the dirt road without feeling I’m being watched by 1000 rocks LOL. But I swear on my li… no wait… I swear on my dog’s life that this is not a case of pareidolia. That lizard is in there!
I’m thinking it’s gonna take a long, long time to get him out but hang with me and by the end of this you will see. If any of you could work on it for just one minute I guarantee you too would be a believer. I only hope I don’t screw it up too bad.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Believe me, I realize the more I talk about this the more Looney Tunes I sound. I bet y’all are thinking Daffy Duck got nothin on me!
With that said, if what you guys have been telling me is true, and I really do believe everything you have said (‘cept that ain’t a lizard) then this is a very significant find! Pepperj said some people are real good at pareidolia (had to look that one up) and I probably shouldn’t admit this now but, I AM one of those people. Can’t walk down the dirt road without feeling I’m being watched by 1000 rocks LOL. But I swear on my li… no wait… I swear on my dog’s life that this is not a case of pareidolia. That lizard is in there!
I’m thinking it’s gonna take a long, long time to get him out but hang with me and by the end of this you will see. If any of you could work on it for just one minute I guarantee you too would be a believer. I only hope I don’t screw it up too bad.
"I’m thinking it’s gonna take a long, long time to get him out"

No doubt it will take a long-long time.
Actually I've been waiting 42 yrs for mine to do something-but it's stuck in there.:dontknow:
So I just enjoy having it around in my life.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is the thing with pareidolia, people will swear they are seeing it and the more people try to tell them it is pareidolia and not what they think the more they resist believing it isn't real.

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes too, you can tell by the type of rock, some rocks here on earth date to near the formation of earth, way before lizards came about.

It's estimated Lizards evolved around 200- 300 million years ago during the Permian Period, which a lot of types of rocks easily exceed that age, so if you can find out the rock type, you can rule out it being a lizard. Here in Minnesota, we have granite rocks that are estimated to be 2.5 billion years old so you won't find fossils in it.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread