Photoraphing old coins

Eagleman

Jun 8, 2012
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD-2, White's TDI-SL, My design of, PI detector, also BFO type detector, Garrett Ace Apex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a Japanese Sin coin in my back yard, it has been in the ground a very long time. I did clean it and found some of the coin etched away. I would like to photo the coin. I don't have any idea how it got in my back yard from Japan, a long ways from Monrovia Cal. I know the coin was minted from 1890's to the early 1900's. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Jim

S

stefen

The Monrovia area and surrounding communities has been the home to many Japanese residents, many farmers before WWII.

There was a time too when Japanese gardeners were the hot ticket.

Many changes took place after WWII and again in the late 1960's.

Need to see the side view...:laughing7:

Last edited:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
You should photographic it with the light at a slight angle to form a hint of a shadow. Then you want to put it in a photo enhancing program like Elements that will you to play with the contrast variations like levels, etc.
Take the best picture you can manage. fill the frame with the coin, one picture of each side. I will see what I can do with it, but you can't expect miracles with internet quality pictures. Frank Fish Pap 1.jpg

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frankn , If that fish painting / image- is your original art - I'm very impressed ! (I'd like it better without the huge signature )

cokat7

Sep 25, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Light tips above are :icon_thumright:.
If you have macro option on your camera, use it and be very steady.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Frankn , If that fish painting / image- is your original art - I'm very impressed ! (I'd like it better without the huge signature )

Would you ask Rembrant to remove his signature from the Mona Lisa? LOL Frank

Brother Al

Jul 23, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Three White's, one Fisher and a Minelab.....I'm beginning to wonder if I am a metal detectorist .....or a collector of metal detectors?
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You should photographic it with the light at a slight angle to form a hint of a shadow. Then you want to put it in a photo enhancing program like Elements that will you to play with the contrast variations like levels, etc.
Take the best picture you can manage. fill the frame with the coin, one picture of each side. I will see what I can do with it, but you can't expect miracles with internet quality pictures. Frank View attachment 1199310

I'm really liking your later paintings

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions