Pick Bannerstone!!

Bent-Twig

Jun 9, 2008
North Central Ohio
Hi folks,
Been a long while since I had something worthy of posting , but finally scored a really nice find over the weekend. The hole was barely showing , but just enough to know what I was about to uncover.:headbang: About ten feet away was the Adena point and then about 3 hours more of walking with high hopes and nothing else turned up.

Twig.
059.JPG 060.JPG 063.JPG 072.JPG 075.JPG

Upvote 0

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awesome artifact,thanks for sharing

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go ahead, take a stroll down Banner Road, you deserve it. Those artifacts are gorgeous! Sub8-)

Attachments

• bannersign.jpg
    bannersign.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 373

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Once again, for those who don't know, "bannerstones" are an East Coast-Native American tool of speculative origin and use. Due to the proximity of most finds to a weapon called an atlatl, it's widely suspected that bannerstones are used as counterweights for these darts/spears. Most functional bannerstones are made of slate, but others have been found that were made of "imported" stones that were obviously carved for their artistic appeal and may have seen ceremonial use.

You know, it would be nice if knowledgeable people who found something significant would post a little info on the item(s) so non-collectors/enthusiasts like me would have at least SOME idea of what these things are... thanks :goldtrophy: :thumbsup:

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
You know, I was just about to post a question about what the heck a bannerstone is and got all the way to the bottom of the thread and found your explanation. Thanks!

Once again, for those who don't know, "bannerstones" are an East Coast-Native American tool of speculative origin and use. Due to the proximity of most finds to a weapon called an atlatl, it's widely suspected that bannerstones are used as counterweights for these darts/spears. Most functional bannerstones are made of slate, but others have been found that were made of "imported" stones that were obviously carved for their artistic appeal and may have seen ceremonial use.

You know, it would be nice if knowledgeable people who found something significant would post a little info on the item(s) so non-collectors/enthusiasts like me would have at least SOME idea of what these things are... thanks :goldtrophy: :thumbsup:

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You know, I was just about to post a question about what the heck a bannerstone is and got all the way to the bottom of the thread and found your explanation. Thanks!

Yeah, I've never heard of half these artifacts these guys find and since I have to look them up anyway I figure I'll just post what I learn

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I've never heard of half these artifacts these guys find and since I have to look them up anyway I figure I'll just post what I learn

:icon_thumleft:

I've been hunting artifacts for 36 years and I am still learning from what people post and say here. Guess that's why I hang out here.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Conratulations ! I clicked in and just saw that it made it. Congratulations to you.

OP
OP
Bent-Twig

Bent-Twig

Jun 9, 2008
North Central Ohio

My apologies!
Thank you for posting a description of my find.
Twig.

OP
OP
Bent-Twig

Bent-Twig

Jun 9, 2008
North Central Ohio
WOW!!
The Banner!

Thank you all for the compliments and the votes for banner. It is an honor to have a personal find up there with all of the great artifacts and relics that have made the banner. This makes the find even more special to me. I thank you all again.
Twig.

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations! It's great to see a bannerstone make BANNER! :icon_thumleft:

ClovisOak

Jul 11, 2012
Chicagoland
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350, Bounty Hunter, Garrett Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Banner,...Banner!

Congrats!

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
BANNER for the BANNERSTONE :thumbsup: Way to go on finding a RARE piece of history. It's a beauty!
:)
Breezie

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other

I don't want to rain on anybody's parade, and I'll be the first to admit I don't know a thing about banner stones. But this stone artifact looks just like the handle on root digging tools out here in Oregon, Washington, and Idaho. The local Indians used fire hardened and sharpened sticks to dig camas bulbs. The stick had a cross handle, made from bone, horn or stone. I've seen at least one complete stick with a stone cross handle, and in various museums I've seen the stone and bone cross handles without the stick. This stone looks very familiar to me as a cross handle on a root digging stick.

Digging-Stick.jpg Nez Perce National Historical Park

Digging Stick Oregon Trail Museum.JPG This one is in the Oregon Trail Museum, and is more modern and made of steel. The Native Americans in the Pacific Northwest still dig camas using the same traditional tools.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have 2 examples of your find. I hope you dont mind me posting these. I can take them down if you like. I feel they look very close to what you have found. That way everyone can see. I have the book and hopefully one day I will need it for one of my finds. :icon_thumright:

Attachments

• 100_3484.JPG
    100_3484.JPG
    320 KB · Views: 297
  • 100_3485.JPG
    100_3485.JPG
    482.4 KB · Views: 281

allen

Gold Member
Jul 16, 2004
Shelbyville or any yard where the owner will let m
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you Twig! Mine also came out of a field that had been plowed for over
a 100 years and it was nothing short of a miracle a plow never touched mine.
Congrats on making the banner, you sure deserve it with that awesome find!

swamp yankee

Jun 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a couple of incredible finds,always like to see the First Nations artifacts being saved from modern day destruction.Please find more and share with us here!.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions