Pics of my Collection

civil war hunter

Feb 10, 2009
west virginia
Detector(s) used
whites classic 5 id, and bounty hunter.
Well there a little off on the turtle scales. I found an almost complete shell of a turtle. I very nice specimen to study. The spin inside in missing two peaces. Dang. >:(
Ow guess what there was a peace of layer of like skin the goes on the shell that i can slip off and back on! :icon_thumleft:

BobPA said:
Nice collection. I once lived on a farm that had an Indian Village located on it. The state built a new highway through the middle of the farm and took my house. Before the project started, the state hired archeologist's to come in and do digs. They found numerous storage pits and other artifacts.

After a rainstorm, I use to walk between the corn rows and pick up many arrowheads, but not anything like your collection.

Can you tell me what the item is in your picture?
Bob

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Almost 3 years since this was originally posted, but I still ooh and aah over this impressive collection each time I see it.

:wink: RR

OP
OP
DigEmAll

DigEmAll

Aug 29, 2005
Eastern UP, Michigan
River Rat said:
Almost 3 years since this was originally posted, but I still ooh and aah over this impressive collection each time I see it.

:wink: RR
Me too my friend... and I ain't saying that with a big head. I am very proud of it and the countless miles of walking in fresh mud fields and all the hours of researching and garnering permission my father put into this collection. Every time I look through the collection I find a new favorite arrowhead or something new and cool that I had overlooked before. I just wish my dad was still around to hear all your guy's remarks.

:) :) :)

OP
OP
DigEmAll

DigEmAll

Aug 29, 2005
Eastern UP, Michigan
allen said:
most awesome collection ive ever seen !!
one question though, do you have any
ephegies, effigies or however its spelled ?

There are two, there is a head and there is the turtle... there is also a knapped flint piece that looks like an eagle or bird of somekind.

MedicineMan

Greenie
Mar 14, 2008
Marion, MS
Detector(s) used
White's CLASSIC ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DigEmAll said:
The only possible NON indian artifact on the table (the head) and the Turtle with a game stone of some type beside it. The gamer is round and dished out on both sides. It's carved from some type of sparkley rock.

No idea whatsoever about that "head".
Maybe some weird Cerokee or Creek artwork.

But that round and hollowed flat one I do know.
That is a "CHUNKY STONE".

The game it is used in is called "Chunky".

jimb

Feb 22, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one of the finest collection that I have ever seen in private hands. You should LEND it to a museum so everyone can enjoy it. The head looks African to me.

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound
Absolutely the best point collection these old eyes have ever seen. :thumbsup:

paleo66

Tenderfoot
Jul 30, 2009
Awesome !!! Three times bigger than my collection. Makes me want to get out and wade through the mud again. I hunted for about 15 years here in northern Kentucky and unfortunately had to go to work and support myself. (ha) Now I'm retired and almost every good place has subdivisions built on them or people you don't know, and they don't want you hunting. Anyway, about the paleo obsidian point. I never found any obsidian pieces, but I found a field with 2 paleo sites in the same field. I call them sites but the paleo people were hunters and gatherers and you don't find actual sites and I believe these to be kill sites as they are in a small (30ft) circular area and are all 5 to 6 inch clovis points ( most are just halves and three quarter pieces but the finest flaking I ever have seen) the second "site" were all just regular gray flint. My point is (About time huh?") that the first points were an almost transparent material from Knife River in Idaho confirmed by my local archaeology club and the University of Kentucky Paleontologist who wanted to take them to class to show his students. ("Like I'm going to let that happen") Shows how far paleo material can travel. Thanks again for the pics. Made my day!!! Barb

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What an awesome collection. :thumbsup: So many great pieces in one place.

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great, impressive collection, Diggem. Your grandfather, your father, and you have put together a truly awe-inspiring collection.
I wonder if you have came across any info about the Native Americans trading with each other? Or, if on a hunt, around a killing place, they found another point from another hunter, picked it up, and reused it/kept it, especially if it was made out of a stone that they were not familiar with. My home was in Eastern Oregon, around the land of the Nez Pierce. Had a couple of friends whose farm was on one of the trails that took the Nez Pierce from the Walla Walla, Wash area (winter area) back into the Wallowa Mountains, around Wallowa Lake (summer area). My friends had quite a collection, but it has been so long that I can't remember any one thing in particular.
I now live in S. Korea, and have found one 1/3 piece of a stone spearhead. A friend found about 1/2 of a stone spearhead. Really something here, as they are not common where we hunt.
Again, great finds, and thank you so much for sharing with us.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread