Pictures and Signs from the Region

nmth

Oct 11, 2012
NM/AZ
Detector(s) used
V3(i), ATX, uMax, Gold Bug, TM808, Custom
Hi,

The Victorio Peak saga is like the Mississippi: wide and deep and powerful. (And, murky and turbulent...)

Unfortunately, the Peak and surrounding region are more or less off limits for prospectors and historical explorers such as myself.

Fortunately, the surrounding region has some ostensible relationship to the purported Hembrillo horde, including tales of rich gold veins a la El Chato Nevarez and Padre La Rue, as well as alternate sources or post facto stash sites for the reported treasures.

Nothing is as nice as pictures.

Many do not wish to share pictues.

I am not sure why.

Most people are lazy and it is only a few button clicks to upload a picture.

A thousand words, on the other hand, take quite some effort to type.

Seriously, pictues are precious, but what good to hoard them when sharing may benefit (less likely) or entertain (more likely) so many others?

Therefore, I start this thread with the intent to post pictures from the *region* surrounding or nearby the San Andres range which may have some (if fleeting) relationship to the Victorio Peak saga. I ask that others who may do the same.

I will start with a fresh picture, but may post ones I have posted elsewhere on the site previously or subsequently.

Until I get bored with the subject someday (or strike it rich - yeah, right!) I hope to post more and more as I continue my explorations.

I will post what I can that is interesting.

There is a lot more to see out there than what I can post.

Keep the exchange collegial, and I will continue to post.

Of course, since this a public forum, you can do whatever you want as the will of selective enforcement of site rules sees fit.

OP
OP
N

nmth

Oct 11, 2012
NM/AZ
Detector(s) used
A Tanit?

OK, so I stumbled across this over the New Year's break.

It appears to be one of the oldest petroglyphs I think I have found.

Though, I may be getting fooled by the relative weathering rate of the rock. That's part of the trouble with this stuff.

Nonetheless, it is in a really neat area with lots of other interesting things, the most interesting of which may be a series of ancient fortifications surrounding the general zone.

Who built them? Why? What were they protecting? Who were they defending against? Just how old could they be?

The Victorio Peak (and possible Caballo) treasures have been hinted to be or outright declared as pre-contact. Tempalrs? Vikings? Ophir? Whatever, I am not well versed in all of this but of course proving such a connection would make mainstream history/archaeology's head explode - so it is obviously worth consideration!

Go back and read old articles denigrating the Atikythera Mechanism and Gobekli Tepe, and now see how the anointed crow the impotance of these newly-accepted facts. For *decades*, they were put in the same category as Bigfoot and Seances by the very same "experts".

One proponent of the Templar angle who has posted here is Roger Snow.

I may not agree with quite a few things he has to say, and his suspected game-playing with half-truths I think muddies the waters, but I still appreciate certain aspects of his unique position on the history of a geography in which I have a bit of experience and continuing historical interest.

So, though he can't post right now, I nonetheless start off with a picture of what seems to match the "Tanit" symbol he seems to talk a lot about. It may or may not be that very thing. I am not an expert on that topic - thus I post, in part, to learn more from whoever may respond.

Tanit_mebbe.JPG

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
OK, so I stumbled across this over the New Year's break.

It appears to be one of the oldest petroglyphs I think I have found.

Though, I may be getting fooled by the relative weathering rate of the rock. That's part of the trouble with this stuff.

Nonetheless, it is in a really neat area with lots of other interesting things, the most interesting of which may be a series of ancient fortifications surrounding the general zone.

Who built them? Why? What were they protecting? Who were they defending against? Just how old could they be?

The Victorio Peak (and possible Caballo) treasures have been hinted to be or outright declared as pre-contact. Tempalrs? Vikings? Ophir? Whatever, I am not well versed in all of this but of course proving such a connection would make mainstream history/archaeology's head explode - so it is obviously worth consideration!

Go back and read old articles denigrating the Atikythera Mechanism and Gobekli Tepe, and now see how the anointed crow the impotance of these newly-accepted facts. For *decades*, they were put in the same category as Bigfoot and Seances by the very same "experts".

One proponent of the Templar angle who has posted here is Roger Snow.

I may not agree with quite a few things he has to say, and his suspected game-playing with half-truths I think muddies the waters, but I still appreciate certain aspects of his unique position on the history of a geography in which I have a bit of experience and continuing historical interest.

So, though he can't post right now, I nonetheless start off with a picture of what seems to match the "Tanit" symbol he seems to talk a lot about. It may or may not be that very thing. I am not an expert on that topic - thus I post, in part, to learn more from whoever may respond.

View attachment 1538218

Yeah, Tanit it might be, I guess. There are many of these "Phoenician"-era carvings in the lower Rio Grande region. I posted a whole slug of Gene Ballinger's photos of possible African-based petroglyphs a year or two ago on one of these threads - scans from his newsletter. You can find this stuff on both sides of the river and west through the Uvas, Goodsights, etc to the Cookes Range.

Roger is pretty much the ground-breaker for the Ophir/Templar allegations re treasure in the Southwest, first pushing the idea 20+ years ago on various internet forums. It's an intriguing topic that I don't have any good reason to reject, but I suggest that folks be cautious with what they assume or hope the truth might be. As with most of man's life on earth, things are seldom as they seem.

Here's a couple more carvings from the Cookes Range, one a classic Tanit, the other a seemingly simplified version similar to yours.
Tanit.JPG

Final approach-2.JPG

OP
OP
N

nmth

Oct 11, 2012
NM/AZ
Detector(s) used
Yeah, Tanit it might be, I guess. There are many of these "Phoenician"-era carvings in the lower Rio Grande region. I posted a whole slug of Gene Ballinger's photos of possible African-based petroglyphs a year or two ago on one of these threads - scans from his newsletter. You can find this stuff on both sides of the river and west through the Uvas, Goodsights, etc to the Cookes Range.

Roger is pretty much the ground-breaker for the Ophir/Templar allegations re treasure in the Southwest, first pushing the idea 20+ years ago on various internet forums. It's an intriguing topic that I don't have any good reason to reject, but I suggest that folks be cautious with what they assume or hope the truth might be. As with most of man's life on earth, things are seldom as they seem.

Here's a couple more carvings from the Cookes Range, one a classic Tanit, the other a seemingly simplified version similar to yours.
View attachment 1538250

View attachment 1538251

Nice pictures.

The "M" seems to recur.

I did not get much from the Ballinger stuff you posted, if I remember right. Thanks for posting it, but I just did not quite follow his line of thought if it's what I recall.

Here's another one from in the middle of your sky island archipelago.

Not sure if I put the simple forms together with the more anthropomorphic; that is, I am not sure I think that they are synonymous.

The stone spirit (looks like a triangle) and the lizard provided at no extra charge:

tanitoo.JPG

Riverbum

Jul 13, 2011
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Treasure seekers,
I have a rather large collection of petroglyph photos from around the W.Texas /Southern N.M. From what I've seen of most of the "TANITS", It would seem strange to be anything BUT ancient Native Americans. Soo many of these petroglyph posted look just like those I've found at places like: Hueco Tanks, Alamo Mountian, Rincon, even the Franklin Mtns. This is just my opinion, I'm no expert. If these drawings are from another civilization they are very similar to the "Ancients" drawings.

txtea

Nov 16, 2009
Have seen similar figures along the Pecos and Devils river, on private property (with permission)
and at Seminole Canyon here in Texas.
Back in the 60's, there was a clay tablet with Greek/ Phonecian writings found on a bluff near the river in Big Bend National Park.
Planning a trip this spring to the Caballos...do a little exploring.

OP
OP
N

nmth

Oct 11, 2012
NM/AZ
Detector(s) used
Hello Treasure seekers,
I have a rather large collection of petroglyph photos from around the W.Texas /Southern N.M. From what I've seen of most of the "TANITS", It would seem strange to be anything BUT ancient Native Americans. Soo many of these petroglyph posted look just like those I've found at places like: Hueco Tanks, Alamo Mountian, Rincon, even the Franklin Mtns. This is just my opinion, I'm no expert. If these drawings are from another civilization they are very similar to the "Ancients" drawings.

I actually agree entirely by default.

It's interesting to me to consider alternate possibilities.

I think that humans being humans, that the same symbology (and inventions) can arise separately across time and space.

Finding direct material culture links would still be amazing and interesting.

OP
OP
N

nmth

Oct 11, 2012
NM/AZ
Detector(s) used
I wish this little birdie from the Caballos would tell me where the goodies are...

birdie.JPG

There are a number of obviously non-Native petro's in this cluster, including an additional birdie with a heart, but that one is scratched in. The main ones are nicely chiseled.

OP
OP
N

nmth

Oct 11, 2012
NM/AZ
Detector(s) used
don't forget NP's lil map, which is 100% correct It showd hree epositories in theg

How could I forget that map? It's very intriguing.

I need to see if I can get permission to publish it in an upcoming little thingie.

captnron

Tenderfoot
May 16, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe it was just Natives doodling/tagging, much like today young people like to spray paint walls, train cars etc.

OP
OP
N

nmth

Oct 11, 2012
NM/AZ
Detector(s) used
Maybe it was just Natives doodling/tagging, much like today young people like to spray paint walls, train cars etc.

There are definitely some themes that repeat like that. The cougar sign is one of them. So are the bears feet. And the square-eyed Tlalocs. It's the ones that don't fit that are the most interesting.

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
How could I forget that map? It's very intriguing.

I need to see if I can get permission to publish it in an upcoming little thingie.

Permission from whom? Its creator is unknown; the person who first posted it on TNet is deceased, and besides, didn't claim any rights to it; it's been reposted on a public forum numerous times by several people; and for all intents and purposes, it's now a public domain item. I would use it as you see fit and reference it "free use source from public forum". It's a good example of reverse engineering revisionist "history" to create a "document" to support speculative theories, IMO. Kinda like "WMD's".

OP
OP
N

nmth

Oct 11, 2012
NM/AZ
Detector(s) used

Well, north of there anyways? Thanks for sharing it.

If it's where I remember, there is a nice bow and arrow there, as well as a squiggly square lined thing that some people have referred to as a ship, but I think that they are confused and remembering canyon del barco or the dynamited Rincon glyph.

The man is about 1/3-1/2 life size if I remember, which is sort of larger than usual. First saw him after circling around the high ridge to the West and then glassing the valley below. Sort of startled me when he came into view.

There's one maybe-dolmen on that west ridge. It catches the eye, but as it's not on legs or made of different type of stone, just a chunk of the same stone on the ridgetop, and I could not see any scrape marks on it, it's hard to be sure.

That's an interesting area, but I don't have any specific stroies about it. Mostly a place for rockhounds (lapidary). Mines were probably barite and/or fluorite.

Riverbum

Jul 13, 2011
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Closer to the river, about 1/4 mile west from the Border Patrol Check station, you can find plenty of gylphs really close to some older mining area there. There is a rare glyph ...A Fish.... among the boulders , and Thousands of pottery shards

OP
OP
N

nmth

Oct 11, 2012
NM/AZ
Detector(s) used
Little pointer

OK, so this is from down in the Organs. I posted it in some other thread, too.

It's not too far from one of them big boulders people have dug under.

I like it more as a miner's marker, given the little wishful pile of "highgrade" at the bottom of the picture. They probably hoped the black rocks were like the Silver-enriched Galena of the Modoc or Stephenson-Bennett, but as I recall, they were of a totally different composition - prbably why they are still there!

There are an infinite number of (cats-claw-filled!) nooks and crannies out among those granite bouders.

If you know David Paulides lore, then you know not to hunt them wearing red or by yourself...

Anyways, this rock seems to point directly *away* from the big boulder. Problem is, was this the original orientation?

OrganTrail.JPG

OP
OP
N

nmth

Oct 11, 2012
NM/AZ
Detector(s) used
Back up in the Caballos, possible true source of the gold in Victorio Peak or secondary recovery spot, or source of material used to promote the Hembrillo location, we have this little cave.

What's kind of fun about this one is that it sort of has a pair of eyes. Ojos. Get it? Anyways, it's like the nooks and crannies I mentioned in the last post - so many of them (in this case, caves) up in those mountains. And, those are just the uncovered ones or ones in accessible terrain.

Maybe on some little hidden ledge up there somewhere around some little wrinkle on the mountain there really is a cave that goes all the way through or way back in...

Caballo_Eyes.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread