Pictures on Older Threads?

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know that the forum software needs to be upgraded to resolve a number of issues concerning incompatibility with the new server, but I have a question.

Many threads have lost their original pictures... particularly older ones. So there are many useful IDs expressed in text but without any images of the original items for reference. Is there any prospect that these images will ever be restored when the software issues are resolved... or are they 'lost' forever?

Thanks in advance.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you provide links to some?

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
I know that the forum software needs to be upgraded to resolve a number of issues concerning incompatibility with the new server, but I have a question.

Many threads have lost their original pictures... particularly older ones. So there are many useful IDs expressed in text but without any images of the original items for reference. Is there any prospect that these images will ever be restored when the software issues are resolved... or are they 'lost' forever?

Thanks in advance.

I can tell you that I have deleted most of mine.
Some of my early pics were hosted on Photobucket...when it was free.
Many folks on here, theirs was too.
When Photobucket changed to a "pay" site, all of those linked pics now turn up 404 not found.

Dunno if that helps you any.

Mike

OP
OP
Red-Coat

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you provide links to some?

Well, here are three for starters, just randomly found but I come across a number of others. It’s clear from the responses that pictures must have been present at one time. Responders made comments about appearance of the items that couldn’t be deduced without pictures (eg “monogrammed such as yours” or “your Reed & Barton is nice”). Also someone commenting on a car key that was presumably included in a picture for scale with “looks like your wife got a new car” despite no pictures now being present.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/silver/476943-help-lol.html
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/silver/279150-sterling-silver-match-safe.html
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/silver/169214-how-much-worth-yard-sale-silver.html

In none of these posts is there an indication that the pictures have been removed by the OP (no “last edited by” footer) and none of them have “picture not found” messages/icons that usually appear if the picture hade been fed from a photo-hosting site and had been deleted there.

Last edited:

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, here are three for starters, just randomly found but I come across a number of others. It?s clear from the responses that pictures must have been present at one time. Responders made comments about appearance of the items that couldn?t be deduced without pictures (eg ?monogrammed such as yours? or ?your Reed & Barton is nice?). Also someone commenting on a car key that was presumably included in a picture for scale with ?looks like your wife got a new car? despite no pictures now being present.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/silver/476943-help-lol.html
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/silver/279150-sterling-silver-match-safe.html
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/silver/169214-how-much-worth-yard-sale-silver.html

In none of these posts is there an indication that the pictures have been removed by the OP (no ?last edited by? footer) and none of them have ?picture not found? messages/icons that usually appear if the picture hade been fed from a photo-hosting site and had been deleted there.

Posts can only be edited by the OP in the first 24 hours.
Users can "Manage attachments" through their settings page or under the "my profile" header.
It won't show that the OP deleted their pics.
Hope that helps you.

OP
OP
Red-Coat

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Posts can only be edited by the OP in the first 24 hours.
Users can "Manage attachments" through their settings page or under the "my profile" header.
It won't show that the OP deleted their pics.
Hope that helps you.

Thanks. That must be it if it leaves no indication the OP has deleted the pic from their attachment database.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Members can deleted their attachments or remove the picture from site hosting the picture as not everyone used treasurenet to host picture and it will not show as edited on the post, only text shows as edited.

OP
OP
Red-Coat

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Members can deleted their attachments or remove the picture from site hosting the picture as not everyone used treasurenet to host picture and it will not show as edited on the post, only text shows as edited.

Thanks. I was more accustomed to seeing some indication on Tnet if the pic had been removed from a third-party image-hosting site. Either a "picture unavailable" icon or a generic message from the host site homepage for a dead link. Like these:

Unavailable.jpg Unavailable2.jpg

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. I was more accustomed to seeing some indication on Tnet if the pic had been removed from a third-party image-hosting site. Either a "picture unavailable" icon or a generic message from the host site homepage for a dead link. Like these:

attachment.php
attachment.php

If they remove the picture by deleting the attachments using the advance edit feature then delete picture, picture will disappear but it will not say edited, picture just disappears.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread