Piece of Bahamian 8!! Pirate pillar dollar !!

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Huh...where to start ?
Ok...here we go. ....I work on a fishing boat, and every year we go to the Bahamas blue marlin fishing....I travel all over the islands as a fishing mate on a beautiful 55 foot sport fish !! So when im not fishing im swinging the detector on some of the most remote beaches on the planet. So much maritime history has been ground up on the rocky shorelines, and deserted beaches that it blows ones mind. This year I got out about 6-8 times on 2 separate islands....I have great permissions here and grew up part time in the bahamas, and part time in the fl.keys, so know some history and have a few spots worked out pretty good. This year was no different and I managed a badly beaten but still cool 8 reale....I believe it's a pillars and globes, Mexican mint ?76?....1766...was my guess. There was also a beautiful floral pattern gold gilt button, and an awsome commerative medal from the "British empire exhibition" 1924....a real gem of a collector piece ! Some of these finds come from a shipwreck camp, and stories of a solid gold baby spoon being found spured me to search for it....there was a nice chamber stick candle holder at the site, and I think I'm in the right spot !! A plated spoon, hinges of different types, black glass rum and onion bottle parts, a silver cameo ring, small cuff button with stone, British/bahamian copper pennies and half pennies, ships spikes, and lead sheathing with bronze nails, etc.etc.etc!! Let me post some pics, and I'll try and edit some there's alot to show and tell !! And the fishing was great too !! Wooo hooo !!
20230518_182858.jpg
20230518_182910.jpg

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Empire_Exhibition fascinating reading !!
20230527_185454.jpg

Rough shape, but cool as sh.t !! 176? Something spanish pillars and globes 8 reale, piece of eight, pillar dollar, etc.etc.etc
My pirate pillar dollar.....no reasonable explanation as to why, and how these coins got on this remote bahamian beach !!
20230527_185534.jpg
20230517_081217.jpg

Pirate captains gold gilt jacket button !!
20230526_173111.jpg

Cuff button with paste stone...pirate button 🤣😂☠️
20230517_074306.jpg
20230528_093205.jpg
20230528_083923.jpg

Chamber stick, decorative hinge,lead sheathing with copper nails still intact, spike.
20230512_171422.jpg
20230512_171525.jpg
20230518_212807.jpg
20230512_171444.jpg
I'll post more pics on the next post.

Last edited:
Upvote 44
OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys !! Man it was some kind of trip....I still have an onion bottle bottom with goodies in it left on the boat !! The one in my pics is one I had from before. All sorts of other stuff too...im still sorting and cleaning stuff !!

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gosh, there's so much to like. Only thing I ever seen of the deep blue is looking out from a sandy beach and staring out at the water and wondering, what is all beyond that horizon. I believe it's referred to as, the call of the sea. Similar, I guess to. What is down this road or what's beyond that mountain, out there in the distance. That, I've got to do many times, only to stop at the waters edge for me. 🤔

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Blak Bart,
Great saves. The 8-reales looks like 1768 to me but whatever coin it is from the series 1761 through 1771 it's still .9027 silver. Congrats !!!
Don in SoCal.
Thanks don....it could be a 68....ill probably never know exactly, just to find one in such a remote spot is amazing......no back story....just a beach with spanish and Portuguese coins on it ?? No one knows how they got there ??

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awesome Bart... super well done my brother... especially like the push up stick.
Thanks ARC....thats my favorite find also.....I think if I go back I'll search for the base....hurricane surges may have pushed it higher up on the shoreline !!

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gosh, there's so much to like. Only thing I ever seen of the deep blue is looking out from a sandy beach and staring out at the water and wondering, what is all beyond that horizon. I believe it's referred to as, the call of the sea. Similar, I guess to. What is down this road or what's beyond that mountain, out there in the distance. That, I've got to do many times, only to stop at the waters edge for me. 🤔
Well to be fair....im not the best tracker when there's no ocean and shoreline to follow....its hard to get lost on an island !!🤣😂🤣

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinking 🤔 of doing what many would consider the unthinkable......drilling a hole in that sucker (old school style) so I can ware that pirate coin !! Or maybe let my son ware it !! Or someone !! Its just super cool with its worn look and just the one little window of details !! This coin brings emotion to me because of the absolute mystery of how so many different types of coins ended up here. And the absolute raw beauty and remoteness of the spot !! Its that dream of a treasure island type local that we've all imagined finding treasure at !! Pounding surf, sand dunes and rocky cliffs, tropical vegetation and crystal clear water !! Treasure island !!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread