Pinebarren creek, Pensacola,Fla

BIGHEAD

Jan 5, 2008
Pensacola,Fla
Detector(s) used
,MXT 300, Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
While doing research on civil war sites in Pensacola I came across a reference to the battle of Pinebarren Creek. I found a few limited stories on the net, but I can't seem to find anything that would give me an idea where this battle occurred? The only maps I have found from this time period only show the town or the Forts, nothing shows the north part of the county where this battle happened. If any one can provide me with any info I would appreciate it. Thanks Bighead

Upvote 0

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
Bighead...I read some digitized copies of reports from the battle that would seem to indicate the main battle was erroneously identified as being at Pine Barren Creek when in actuality it was at Pringles Creek 12 miles further to the north just past Canoe Creek. The battle was also known as The Battle of Bluff Springs (which is right at Pringles Creek)and I think there's a Historical Marker on Bluff Springs Rd - can't remember for sure. Most of Hwy. 29 above Molino follows the ancient Pensacola road going all the way back to the colonial era and earlier. Below Molino, County Rd. 95 is considered to be the path of the old Pensacola road.

I'll try to find the links to that information and post it. You could probably go MD'ing on the banks of Pringles to the west of Hwy. 29 and find some interesting things (in additon to millions of beer cans and garbage).

Pcolaboy

OP
OP
BIGHEAD

BIGHEAD

Jan 5, 2008
Pensacola,Fla
Detector(s) used
,MXT 300, Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the info. I had posted this so long ago that i had gave up hope on finding any info. Most of the info i,ve found states that the battle happened and lists casualties but does not give a location. what i have found states that Union forces ran into Confederate pickits and fought a running battle over several miles. the Confederates retreated to there main force and then drove the Union off with artillery. Sorry it took so long to reply but my internet has been down! HH Bighead

OP
OP
BIGHEAD

BIGHEAD

Jan 5, 2008
Pensacola,Fla
Detector(s) used
,MXT 300, Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
pccvanwilder said:
i live near pensacola and am in the process of getting some old maps. are you still interested if they show anything
i would love to see any maps you can find!! i have had only limited luck in finding any. Pm me when you get them. Thanks Bighead

Walker Colt

Oct 19, 2009
Texas
Two battles occured here, one of them the 16th Confederate Cavalry engaged black union troops and and pushed them back to Pensacola, the second battle came several months later when Gen Steele's men engaged Col Armistead and Gen Clanton's men and defeated them on his way toward Fort Blakely.

YankeeDownSouthAdv.

Bronze Member
Jun 28, 2005
alachua county, FL
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
also read on another thread about some atlas you can look at and it has alot of info in it related to battles, camps,etc. would be interesting to see what you find, GD

YankeeDownSouthAdv.

Bronze Member
Jun 28, 2005
alachua county, FL
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it was called official military atlas of the civil war, found one in my local libraty called official atlas of the civil war, have to go check it out...will let you know...GD

MichaelB

Aug 13, 2005
Mobile Bay, Alabama
Walker Colt is correct but keep in mind that it was a moving skirmish line. The Confederates were trying to delay troop movement so it was a big skirmish, run, hide, hit them again. I know people are still finding stuff around Canoe where the main camp was and I have seen some hit and miss spots on the way to Blakely. Hope this helps.

MichaelB

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread