*Pinpointer Dilemma*

fortaleza

Jun 15, 2013
Northern Illinois, Fortaleza Brazil
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Mojave, Garrett Ace 250, 2 Garrett Pro Pointers gotta have a backup
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My choice is the Garrett Pro pointer AT. I had a problem with one in Brazil still covered by warranty called Garrett and the told me to send it to a Garrett dealer in Brazil and they sent me a new one. That was great customer service. I have two of them when I am in Brazil because its nice to have a backup.

OP
OP
zippi

zippi

Mar 28, 2018
Evansville, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for all the input guys. Looks like I'll go with the Garrett Pro pointer AT. Just got my Garrett Edge Digger.

OP
OP
zippi

zippi

Mar 28, 2018
Evansville, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Went out yesterday just to get some time on my LRP and found out quickly I need that PP. When I got home I ordered the Garrett Pro AT.

Attachments

• 61ffo3ilW2L._AC_UL436_.jpg
    61ffo3ilW2L._AC_UL436_.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 80
OP
OP
zippi

zippi

Mar 28, 2018
Evansville, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Any way to turn the light off other than taking it apart and pulling the bulb?

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My choice is the Garrett Pro pointer AT. I had a problem with one in Brazil still covered by warranty called Garrett and the told me to send it to a Garrett dealer in Brazil and they sent me a new one. That was great customer service. I have two of them when I am in Brazil because its nice to have a backup.

When you are in high humidity environs, where the water-proofness counts...!
Corrosion starts at points of entry, so cleaning of parts is important, after each hunt, then drying them well, before reassembling...,
and, I test the battery, as long as it's out anyway...!
A very important Tool, these pointers are - and, I can see you understand the importance of them, by getting a backup...! :icon_thumright:

☠ Cipher

Aug 16, 2016
Middleburgh, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites: Spectra V3i, MX Sport, Bullseye TRX. Fisher: F75 LTD, 1280-X, F2. XP: Deus. Minelab: X-terra 70, Garrett: AT Pro, Ace 250, Propointer II. Tesoro: Compadre. Bounty Hunter: LRP, QDP, 3300, 2200,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't mind jumping in the middle of a wolf pack. The Carrot remains a popular pinpointer and many have found it reliable, but my opinion is that it's far more popular than it is good, and many people have gotten stuck there as a result. Many better pinpointers have been released since the Carrot came on the scene. I agree with prior posts that the TRX and the new F-Pulse are leading the pack in range. There was a mention of ghost signals, but there are levels for a reason. It's not always best to run them wide open. Sometimes you'll want to back them down to the level the Carrot is running at. That extra power is there when it can be used though, which seems to be most of the time in my experience. To me, the Carrot wouldn't even make my top 5 anymore. The Gold Digger Land or Sea matches its range but bests it in IP rating and features. The Minelab ProFind 35 matches its range, but adds an iron tone. This new pinpointer/scubatector from Makro Nokta also looks amazing. I can't wait to try it out, and if the range of the pinpointer attachment is anything like the coil attachment I might just have to add it to my arsenal. It seems to be the one to watch in 2019. Carrot is good, but it's just white noise against all the available, equally good or better choices out there these days.

Waterbug

Jul 6, 2005
Iowa
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, XLT & GoldmasterV/SAT
Fisher 1280x
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cipher,I have to go along with you.I have both the Land or Sea and the Tek-Point(F-Pulse).They are great pin pointers.

OP
OP
zippi

zippi

Mar 28, 2018
Evansville, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
☠ Cipher;6146464 said:
I don't mind jumping in the middle of a wolf pack. The Carrot remains a popular pinpointer and many have found it reliable, but my opinion is that it's far more popular than it is good, and many people have gotten stuck there as a result. Many better pinpointers have been released since the Carrot came on the scene. I agree with prior posts that the TRX and the new F-Pulse are leading the pack in range. There was a mention of ghost signals, but there are levels for a reason. It's not always best to run them wide open. Sometimes you'll want to back them down to the level the Carrot is running at. That extra power is there when it can be used though, which seems to be most of the time in my experience. To me, the Carrot wouldn't even make my top 5 anymore. The Gold Digger Land or Sea matches its range but bests it in IP rating and features. The Minelab ProFind 35 matches its range, but adds an iron tone. This new pinpointer/scubatector from Makro Nokta also looks amazing. I can't wait to try it out, and if the range of the pinpointer attachment is anything like the coil attachment I might just have to add it to my arsenal. It seems to be the one to watch in 2019. Carrot is good, but it's just white noise against all the available, equally good or better choices out there these days.

I hear what your saying but being new to MD I had to go with the overwhelming majority of thumbs up for the Garrett Pro pointer AT. Now only time will tell from personal experience. Like my granddaddy use to say....hope for the best and expect the worst.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hear what your saying but being new to MD I had to go with the overwhelming majority of thumbs up for the Garrett Pro pointer AT. Now only time will tell from personal experience. Like my granddaddy use to say....hope for the best and expect the worst.

Theres a reason why the majority use them. Most have tried others and came to the same conclusion. You made a good move!

JustDarrin

Apr 12, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am using a china clone of the Garrett. Case looks the same..has the led light...You will find in this hobby that things are WAY overpriced!!! I got it on ebay for 29 bucks with free shipping. I am REALLY impressed, as I have used a Garrett before...does the same thing brother!!! 56652852_2170530083066367_935154598136512512_n.jpg

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dont buy an immitation from China contact a dealer they might have a used garrett carrott

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
How did you decide which knock-off to get? There are many, and I’d rather get a name like gee- poo pinpointer than get a Garrett clone.
How much use has it had? Is it holding up?

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am using a china clone of the Garrett. Case looks the same..has the led light...You will find in this hobby that things are WAY overpriced!!! I got it on ebay for 29 bucks with free shipping. I am REALLY impressed, as I have used a Garrett before...does the same thing brother!!! View attachment 1702286

All fine and good until you wear through the housing or have an issue with the on/off switch. Then, do you get the same customer service as Garrett? Near sighted the cheapies look good but far sighted it always loses in the end.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread