Pinpointing and digging neatly. Is it a forgotten art?

uhfradarwill

Mar 20, 2022
Barre, MA
Detector(s) used
Minelab:
Sovereign GT
Equinox

Tesoro:
Comparde
I just watched a youtube live stream from NYC. These guys were digging in pristine dirt but digging 10" diameter plugs and after making a complete mess, finally found the targets in the sidewall. Is the Deus II coil not a DD design. They weren't even trying to walk the coil off the target or even swinging from another angle to try to pinpoint.

I'd be kicked off from some very nice sites if I left such a mess.

Happy hunting.....

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just watched a youtube live stream from NYC. These guys were digging in pristine dirt but digging 10" diameter plugs and after making a complete mess, finally found the targets in the sidewall. Is the Deus II coil not a DD design. They weren't even trying to walk the coil off the target or even swinging from another angle to try to pinpoint.

I'd be kicked off from some very nice sites if I left such a mess.

Happy hunting.....
More interested in youtube videos than actual metal detecting,I,d say. No manners,no finesse.Want to see how it,s done?Watch some of Metal Detecting East Texas with Kevin,can,t even tell he was there after he,s done digging. Good videos too,no excess verbiage.

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NYC is currently experiencing a major social crisis. Since the disease that shall not be named broke out in 2020 there has been a major increase in the treasure hunter population. They arose from the giant pool of unemployed people who simply had nothing to do while out of work. The bad thing is most have never returned to work - instead choosing to start YouTube channels and dig like idiots for the views (which makes them internet money). They seek fame and fortune through the internet and have absolutely no respect or care for history or common decency. They don't want to return to their old ways of life in their offices (and who can blame them) but they really don't know what they're doing.

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NYC is currently experiencing a major social crisis. Since the disease that shall not be named broke out in 2020 there has been a major increase in the treasure hunter population. They arose from the giant pool of unemployed people who simply had nothing to do while out of work. The bad thing is most have never returned to work - instead choosing to start YouTube channels and dig like idiots for the views (which makes them internet money). They seek fame and fortune through the internet and have absolutely no respect or care for history or common decency. They don't want to return to their old ways of life in their offices (and who can blame them) but they really don't know what they're doing.
I have been using this plugger when needed since I started detecting 40 years ago. It was made for me by a fellow sheet metal worker. 3” across and digs a 6” deep plug..
2531E755-9783-4DD9-BB13-BC573F07D4A6.jpeg
I
707D212A-8C31-4FB6-B360-1FDA15B9A8CB.jpeg

Attachments

• 623ED5AC-4E06-40CD-9527-C41035E752D0.jpeg
    623ED5AC-4E06-40CD-9527-C41035E752D0.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 15
Last edited:
OP
OP
uhfradarwill

uhfradarwill

Mar 20, 2022
Barre, MA
Detector(s) used
Minelab:
Sovereign GT
Equinox

Tesoro:
Comparde
I have been using this plugger when needed since I started detecting 40 years ago. It was made for me by a fellow sheet metal worker. 3” across and digs a 6” deep plug.. View attachment 2028151 I View attachment 2028154
I've seen those in action and love them. Here in New England the ground would just laugh at me if I pulled one of those out. Very rocky here....

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
when i use my scoop - in water - i usually get target on first scoop - 2nd if real deep
others i see have hard time pinpointing and scoop up to 10 X
crazy

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Deus 2, Deus XP, AT Pro, Whites TRX pinpointer, Sampson Ground Shark shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've noticed messy diggers at areas I metal detect as well lately. Lots of big holes, garbage thrown around, bad plugs. I always use a pinpointer to minimize the area dug, always take away trash I dig, and I'm always very careful in grass areas. A few areas I noticed lately looked like it was torn up by people whom had no idea what they were doing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread