Pinpointing with the Sovereign

hsjrev

Jul 27, 2007
W. TN
I traded for a used Sovereign Gt a couple of days ago and I've just been playing with it in the back yard. I'm having a devil of a time pinpointing with this thing. I'm trying the 90 degree off X method but I still wind up digging holes about 8" around to find the target. Just testing with coins on top of the ground it doesn't sound off at all on the toe of the coil but from about the middle to the heel and actually a bit off the heel.
I had mentioned in the Fisher F2 thread that it wouldn't pick up a dime I had just buried at 6" but today it sounded off loud and clear on a corroded 1944 wheat penny at about that depth. That's the oldest coin I've found so far here in the yard and I've been all over it with the Tejon. They buldozed an old house and added fill dirt before building this house so anything lost before 1986 is fairly deep. I just need to figure out a way to dig smaller holes to find them. I don't think major excavations will go over too well in the local parks and school yards when I get ready to take this thing out of the back yard. Seems like a fun machine so far if I can get this pinpointing thing solved.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
I just have a minute so I'll make this fast.

You pinpoint at the very top of the coil, not the center.

Look at your coil, lay your finger on the TOP outer edge. This outer edge is exactly where the target will be if you do it right.

Once you get a signal, backup until you hear that loudest blurb signal...holding the coil in that spot...pivot 90 degrees and backup again until that blurb signal takes place...that's dead center.

The blurb (as I call it) is that sudden blast (loud) signal you get just before the signal dies.

This blurb can also happen on the heel of the coil (the exact other side). This is why I sometimes backup too far just to make sure I'm not using the heel instead of the top of the coil.

Then I move back to the target and do what I wrote above.

SO..the point is to get that blurb in one spot located at the top of the coil (outer edge).

Sorry, got ta go.

Badger

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Badger is right on........

On the WOT on my Sovereign, for some reason I can X the target and it will be in the center every time

On the stock coils I did it just like Badger said for both my Excal and the Sovereign. It was always on the very leading edge of the toe. If I would back up and move coil slowly forward when I got the loud tone (blurp) it would be straight down off the toe.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Badger and TH are right on about the pinpointing off the tip or heel. Lay down some targets on clean ground without any other metal under them to throw you off when practicing.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
....Yes they all gave you the right info. that is how i do it .right under the very tip of the toe or heel and the target is right there.....................................==Jim==

OP
OP
hsjrev

hsjrev

Jul 27, 2007
W. TN
Thanks guys. I'll practice some more on some clean ground tomorrow. I tried to practice on top of a big styrofoam ice chest indoors but there seems to be something inside my house that drives this detector nuts. The threshold goes up and down randomly like weird music in disc mode indoors and the silent search switch apparantly does nothing. It all works perfectly out in the yard though.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Luck hsjrev..

Once you see what we are talking about it will become very easy to pinpoint. The Sovereign GT is a fantastic machine!!! ;) ;) ;)

I am not sure what the difference is other then the coil, but on the WOT I can use the X method on the target and it is dead center of the WOT coil..........On the stock coil it is the toe and heal............

In case I haven't said it before I LOVE THE WOT!!!!!! ;D On a beach with the Sov it is a Vacuum....... ;D

A special thanks to VaMax for his input on the WOT!!! ;)

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Once you get that pinpointing down that coin or ring will be dead center nearly every time.

If the target keeps moving on you and you can't find its center, it's most likely trash.

DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
-------(Water)------- Garrett Infinium (Relic and Coin) Minelab Sov. Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am new to the Sovereign but I followed the instructions as given by everyone here and it works to perfection even with the very large coils. I was using the 15 inch WOT over the past two weeks perfecting my DEEEEEEP hunting techniques and even with targets well below 10 inches, I was not having any problem pinpointing. I moved the coil back toward my feet until the target went silent and then started the Sovereign Wiggle forward until I heard it. Right under the tip center of the coil is where X marks the spot every time. No problems at all.

BlackX

Oct 7, 2006
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Explorer / Sovereign / Sidewinder
Interesting.
I "x" from the center of the coil and the target is usually dead on under it. (XS2 w/ stock coil)
_R_

(Just realized you may be talking still in disc mode. Is that the case? (I usually switch to AM to pinpoint.)

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BlackX said:
(Just realized you may be talking still in disc mode. Is that the case? (I usually switch to AM to pinpoint.)

Yes, sorry for any confusion, personally I am talking in the Disc mode, I never switch to pinpoint as I have no reason to using the techniques described here.

Using Sov GT with Wot, I can X it in desc mode and it is always dead center, with Excal, I do the slide back then forward again and target is always at the toe. Switching to pinpoint is just an extra step that I don't need.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread