Pinpointing with V3I

Noreiga

Greenie
Jun 13, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just upgraded from a whites classic III plus to a v3i and pinpointing is a little off? I called whites and she explained that when you pull the trigger on the machine and get the highest signal, that tells you the object is under the coil and could be anywhere in the diameter of the coil? I've pulled the trigger and when I get the absolute strongest signal I thought the object would be center coil? What am I doing wrong or is whites correct that there is no absolute pinpoint, but just saying the object is within the coil?

jharhed

Jan 5, 2008
Marrero LA
Detector(s) used
DFX, MX5, M6, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What I do is when I pinpoint with the DD coil, get the strongest signal (should be directly under the middle of the coil) then back my coil up until the signal disappears. Get a coin and lay it on the ground, pinpoint it to the strongest signal then back the coil up and see exactly where the coil is when the signal falls off.

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
I read something from Whites that stated the pinpoint function is supposed to narrow the detection field to approximately a 3"x3" area located near the center of the coil, and that seems about right in my experience.

I tend to trigger pinpoint and circle the target with the coil while progressively tightening the revolutions and eventually pressing the coil down in contact with the surface.

So my experience is if it's making a noise in pinpoint, the signal is within a roughly 3"x3" area slightly forward of the coil connecting bolt...ferrous items excepted.

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the best way if you are a beginner with a DD coil (assuming that is what you have on your machine):
First make sure VCO is set to on. This give you the funky spaceship sound when you pull the trigger and get closer to a target it get louder and higher..
So pull the trigger with the coil away from the target and move closer the sound well get loudest and highest when you have the center of the coil closest to the target. You will also see the depth get lower the closer you get. Now once you find the spot look at the center of the coil and turn yourself 1/4 turn.. Remember where the coils was centered and pint point again.. Where the centers from the 2 operations meet is where your target it.. Search youtub for pinpointing with DD there are a couple of techniques and seeing is much better than reading..

Last edited:

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
Do a manual ratchet down. Go into PP, bring the coil closer to the sound of the target but not right over it, stop, re-trigger the pinpoint. Keep doing it till you ot have a small tight area. The depth reading will not be correct but the pinpoint will be lots more accurate with the center of the coil.

Make note of the depth before you begin the ratchet

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Alothas to do withesize of target and depth
(a large shallow target hardto pinpoint)

Ha,sotrue!

How many times I've thought I'ma dig a 6" plug for this coin...only to find a thumbtack 3/4" below the surface of the plug. :laughing9:

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do a manual ratchet down. Go into PP, bring the coil closer to the sound of the target but not right over it, stop, re-trigger the pinpoint. Keep doing it till you ot have a small tight area. The depth reading will not be correct but the pinpoint will be lots more accurate with the center of the coil.

Make note of the depth before you begin the ratchet

This is dead on [emoji106]

SteveOrygun

Apr 15, 2017
Orygunistan
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro Born 4/17..
Fisher CZ3d W/Nasa Tom tune!
Whites V3i.... WOW!!😎
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
PPing was a pain till the install of a Ultimate 13" coil!! Holy smokes!! Its like a new machine. PP is so easy now.

ATPRoDon

Nov 26, 2007
Griffin, GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI, Whites V3i, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been using my new Whites V3i for about a month. Make sure your making an X over the target while pinpointing. Then I take my hand held pinpointed and if it's say under 3-4 inches I stab the tip on the ground and will dig where ever the sound is. I will experiment more with it and post my results with a video. Love this metal detector !

Apr 11, 2013
Wyoming Valley. PA
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and Coinmaster GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As others have said, start your pinpointing away from the target. where you get the highest return 'should" be above the target but DD coils are a little tricky till you get the hang of them. Swing side to side in pinpoint. where you get the highest return move the coil toward and away from you. Where the signal drops off is the edge of your target.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You will get it. The V pin points dead on.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Have VCO on, then pinpoint. Mentally note the place. Go 90 degrees to it and pinpoint again. Where the two lines cross is where the target is.

I think the DD coil might be giving you trouble. It pinpoints differently from a concentric coil.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Get close to the target and hit the pin point. You can make the signal as small an area as you want.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Like "jharded", I use the "DD Wiggle Method" of pin pointing. If fact, once you get use to it you will rarely use the pin point trigger feature.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread