Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Gang,
Sorry I haven't done much lately, but, I work retail and MUST work ALL holiday weekends ( Memorial Day ) ( check out the video I did in-In Memory of-under, To All Vets... Thank you- sure could use your feedback ) and it takes a couple days to get back into things. And TODAY was the DAY !!!!!! Where to go ? What to do ? And with gas being $4.50 a gallon it suuure limits the distance.... I decided to go and check out some things near Whitwater first ( check the Whitwater board ) and then I headed out to Pioneertown.

pioneertown1.jpg

Pioneertown was built in 1946 as a movie set for western movies, including the movies of Gene Autry, The Cisco Kid, with Duncan Renaldo, Annie Oakley with Gail Davis, Judge Roy Bean with Edgar Buchanan, Range Rider with Jock O. Mahoney, and Buffalo Bill Jr. with Dick Jones. The movie set was to provide a place for the actors to live, and have their homes used as part of a movie set. Some of the original investors in the town were Roy Rogers, who also built the Pioneer Bowl, Sons of the Pioneers, which the town was named after, Dick Curtis who was a professional villian in old movies, Bud Abbott, Russell Hayden, who played Lucky on the Hopalong Cassidy series, Louella Parsons the Hollywood gossip columnist and Philip N. Krasne: The Man Who Saved Pioneertown.

pioneer5.JPG

The following is a list of films made at Pioneertown:

"The Last Western" Dir: Chris Deaux, Starring Buzz Gamble and the residents and locals of Pioneertown (Not Released Yet)

"The Howling 7: New Moon Rising" 1995 Starring Ernest Kester, John Huff, Clive Turner, Jaqueline Armitage, Jim Lozano, Mike Bristow, John Ramsden, Bob Morwell, Jim Brock, Cheryl Allen, Sally Harkham, Claude 'Pappy' Allen, Harriet Allen, Bonnie LaGassa, Jack Holder, Leslee Anderson, Dolores Silver, Gary Ham, Michelle Stilles, Elizabeth She, Jaro Prikopski, Larry Guiterrez, Sybel Ramsden, Romy Windsor, Joel Harkham, Produced and Directed By: Clive Turner, Original Music by Guy Moon, Cinematography by Andreas Kossak, Art Direction by Helen Harwell

"Shelter from the Storm" (Movicorp 1994) Starring Sheila Ryan, Wiley M. Pickett, David Dunard, Jacqueline Wright, Dan Woren, Jack Holden, Jim Lozano, Directed by Gregory Scanlon

pioneer8.JPG

"Jeopardy" 1953 staring Barbara Stanwyck, Ralph Meeker, and Barry Sullivan, Directed by Jon Sturges

"Barbed Wire" (Columbia 1952) Directed by: George Archainbaud. Cast: Gene Autry, Pat Buttram, Anne James, Clayton Moore.

"The Gay Amigo" (United Artists 1949) Directed by: Wallace Fox. Cast: Duncan Renaldo, Leo Carrillo, Armida, Joe Sawyer, Clayton Moore, Fred Kohler Jr., Walter Baldwin, Kenneth MacDonald, George DeNormand, Fred Crane, Helen Servis, Bud Osborne, Sam Flint, Beverly Jons.

"The Daring Caballero" (United Artists 1949) Directed by: Wallace Fox. Cast: Duncan Renaldo, Leo Carrillo, Kippee Valez, Charles Halton, Pedro de Cordoba, Stephen Chase, David Leonard, Edmund Cobb, Frank Jaquet, Mickey Little.

"Satan's Cradle" (United Artists 1949) Directed by: Ford Beebe. Cast: Duncan Renaldo, Leo Carrillo, Ann Savage.

"Cody of the Pony Express" (Columbia 1950) Directed by: Spencer G. Bennet. Cast: Jock O'Mahoney, Dickie Moore, Peggy Stewart, William Fawcett, Tom London, Helena Dare, George J. Lewis, Pierce Lyden, Jack Ingram, Rick Vallin, Frank Ellis, Ross Elliott, Ben Corbett, Rusty Westcoatt.

"Indian Territory" (Columbia 1950) Directed by: John English. Cast: Gene Autry, Smiley Burnette, Pat Buttram, Gail Davis, Kirby Grant, Chief Thundercloud.

pioneer12.JPG

"The Girl from San Lorenzo" (United Artists 1950) Directed by: Derwin Abrahams. Cast: Duncan Renaldo, Leo Carrillo, Edmund Cobb.

"Silver Canyon" (Columbia 1951) Directed by: John English. Cast: Gene Autry, Jim Davis.

"Whirlwind" (Columbia 1951) Directed by: John English. Cast: Gene Autry, Smiley Burnette, Dick Curtis.

"The Last of the Pony Riders" (Columbia 1953) Directed by: George Archainbaud. Cast: Gene Autry, Smiley Burnette, Dick Jones, Kathleen Case.

"On Top of Old Smokey" (Columbia 1953) Directed by: George Archainbaud. Cast: Gene Autry, Smiley Burnette.

"The Valiant Hombre" (United Artists 1948) Directed by: Wallace Fox. Cast: Duncan Renaldo, Leo Carillo, John Litel, Barbara Billingsley, Lee "Lasses" White, Stanley Andrews, Frank Ellis, Herman Hack, Ralph Peters.

pioneer7.JPG

The place wasn't that big and being a weekday nothing was going on. But on the weekend I was told the place really comes alive with gunfights and lots of fun in each shop. I would surely take the family there. Directions are from LA head east on the I-10 and turn N on HWY 62. Turn L on Pioneertown road and drive for 4.2 miles and Pioneertown is on the left.

Enjoy
PLL

pioneertowndir.jpg

OP
OP
pegleglooker

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
According to what I read while the surrounding area took a huge hit. The local firemen where able to save Pioneertown. When you drive up to it there is still a ton of evidence of just how bad the fire was. But the town looks like it never was touched.

PLL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions